Mr Orange leaves Orange, becomes, er, Mr. :-)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Andrew Thomas, a key figure in Orange's Smartphone strategy from the very beginning, has parted company with Orange.

Leaving for pastures new at O2 in the UK, Andy tells MoDaCo that after 9 years, it was time for a new challenge.

We look forward to continuing to work with Andy in his new role and wish him all the best.... and we are pleased to annouce a replacement Mr Orange will be joining us very soon :)

P

Guest beersoft

good luck andy :)

i can just see what Jacek will have as a headline

"Mr Orange Sacked

Andy aka "mr orange" has been sacked by orange (a small mobile operator in the uk (a province of the EU)) and is now working for O2 a fine german operator and will be making them release the mpx220 instead of orange...blah blah blah lies lies lies"

sorry got bored writing that, but i think i got the misrepresentation of facts correct :lol:

Later

Owen

It would be great if this had some impact on O2 bringing out Smartphones (I can't get an orange signal) - mind you, people have been talking about O2 bringing out the MPx220 - I wonder..................................

Guest chucky.egg

Or do you *have* a job writing for his "news" site?

I actually feel a bit sorry for the next Mr Orange. He's not going to get an easy ride if he ever comes here.

Did Mr Orange (Firmware version 1.0) actually accomplish anything, and will Mr Orange v2 have any more influence back at the office when people raise issues?

Guest shadamehr

Interesting... quite interesting...

I notice the thread about O2's product brochure pdf showing the mpx220 as 'coming soon' to O2...

Does this have any link Paul/Andy...?

And I can;t bloody wait for O2 to get a Smartphone on their network, so we can all stop banging our heads with GPRS settings trial and error etc...

How mch easier to just go to the O2 web, pretend your phone is an mpx220, and have the website send ALL the settings you need, straight to it (as if).

But at least we can then set up our phones properly then!

Sweet...

How long then Mr Orange, er sorry, I mean Mr O2...?

Guest fozzie
Did Mr Orange (Firmware version 1.0) actually accomplish anything,....

Ouch! I would say so. Anyone here on Orange and using a Smartphone? I think the answer speaks for itself :)

Cheers Andy. Best of luck.

Guest squall
Interesting... quite interesting...

I notice the thread about O2's product brochure pdf showing the mpx220 as 'coming soon' to O2...

i thought about that earlier, i wouldnt be surprised if o2 headhunted the person who introduced orange to smartphones, to manage there new shiney product and establish the market. either way o2 selling smartphones is good for everyone, and if mr O is involved id have thought it is good news for modaco to.

Guest shadamehr

i thought about that earlier, i wouldnt be surprised if o2 headhunted the person who introduced orange to smartphones, to manage there new shiney product and establish the market. either way o2 selling smartphones is good for everyone, and if mr O is involved id have thought it is good news for modaco to.

Wouldn't I be right in thinking, that if Mr O has gone to become Mr O(2), then if O2 launch a Smartphone like the mpx220, if they have any sense, they'll let him stay in here, in much the same way as he did when he was Mr O...?

Well Paul, what do you think mate..?

Guest chucky.egg

Ouch! I would say so. Anyone here on Orange and using a Smartphone? I think the answer speaks for itself :)

Cheers Andy. Best of luck.

But I would say that a lot of people here are/were using Smartphone *despite* Orange (and to a lesser extent Mr Orange), not because of them!

Guest Confucious

Heck! I've just got my first Smartphone on orange (C500) and now he's gone. Any connection do you think?

Good luck in your new role.

PS you'd better not bring out anything better on O2 before my contract is up (not that there could be much better than the C500)

PPS Watch me be forced to eat my words....

Guest fozzie

But I would say that a lot of people here are/were using Smartphone *despite* Orange (and to a lesser extent Mr Orange), not because of them!

Another dig at Mr Orange? I can't see what your problem is with him. He worked for Orange in Smartphone handset development (that's the hardware side and not software). Orange were the first network to bring out a Smartphone. Quick show of hands from the people here using a Smartphone? A tenner says the vast majority of handsets are either Orange branded (including the people who've rubbed off the logo!) or if not, the owner's first Smartphone was from Orange. I'd say that is 'because' of Orange.

Might be an interesting Poll actually - "Which Network does your Smartphone originate from?" :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stretchie

:evil:

I used to work for BT Crapnet (at a scroat level of course), and I had repeated contact with MUCH higher level staff, I mean HIGH level. I found them to be (in fairness, as most HUGE companies are the same) useless.... (they forget the customers and focus on profit, but unfortunatley this is the nature of business)

BT seemed to always want to be the first to acheive something (apart from going pre-pay) and as soon as they could say they had done it, they would move on to the next task and withdraw all the vast amounts of money they had thrown at initial development and advertising to tell everyone that they were the first to do and at what it was.

They left the workers, support staff and customer service staff in shops, offices and call centres alike to deal with all the customers they let down and ripped off in a big way because they had not kept any money in refining the very thing they were so happy to tell everyone they were the first to do, into a final, fully working product.

Anyone remember 'IMSI Failure' or the 'Freinds and Family scheme' or even the 'buy a Motorola and get £50 cashback or another phone in 6 months' scheme where they promtly barred nearly all of the qualifying cutomers for 'unfair usage' or BT's favorite 'Fraudulent usage' and awarded them with neither the money or the free phone.

Man if Esther Ranson's Watchdog had a loyalty scheme for their 'customers' on the show, BT would have got free advertising.

:evil:

Phew, sorry, that felt better. I still have friends working at different levels for them and aparantly things have improved greatly, hopefully for the customers sake.

Mr Orange, I bid you good luck. Just bring more of these SmartPhones out and I may even get a mate to get me a new one on a staff tariff with BT when this contract runs out.

:wink:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.