MPx220 now available in the USA... but all is not well!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

The MPx220 is now on sale on at Best Buy in the USA, according to this thread at HowardForums.

However, all is not well...

I took some sample pics with the camera to test it out. The bad news is it's still terrible. The flash is useless--in most cases it just makes the picture green.

Another disappointment is the volume. I can barely hear the person speaking on the other end with volume up all the way. The person on the other end also had issues hearing me.

Sorry to hear that the camera still has issues. Now you're saying it has volume problems too? Great work Moto!

This phone is starting to leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

1. Bad camera

2. Weak Battery

3. Low Volume

Those are serious issues. 

I dunno, but that ugly duckling SPV C500 is starting to look prettier and prettier to me.

This confirms reports I have been hearing for months from elsewhere, and my personal experience, and is definitely NOT good news...

P

Picture courtesy of sclui56 @ HF.

MPx220HF.jpg

Guest squall

member nAmCE pointed this out just before paul posted. must admit im a little sceptical, mainly because i just cant believe the phone would be released in such a bad state, bearing in mind moto dropped the mpx100, if this is all true things dont look good for motorola's future in the smartphone market

Guest midosm

So why aren't there any official links out. Best Buy has everything up on their site they carry in stores.

Cingular & Moto are both customers of one of my companies and neither have anything officially released!

Show me the proof. Where can I buy it right now then?

Guest beersoft

this isn't good news at all

its hard to weigh up the pros and cons of this phone

pro -

plays eclipse and all other gapi draw games

has that funky voice control app

shouldn't fill full of dust

cons

pants battery - it needs to last 2 days minimum and at least 24 hours with bt on all the time

pants camera - someone needs a smack about that

build quality of hinge - more smaking required, the mpx200 hinge was good, where did they go wrong

posible cons but can be fixed with updates

pants volume - are they having speaker quality issues ala E200

im starting to think that maybe they should have dropped this and started again from scratch

later

Owen

"waving at motorola, as they miss the boat, again"

Best Buy in Tampa FL has some (didn't ask how many though)...

Call and ask yourself if you want: 813-874-8814

*Edit: By the way, they told me their price was $99 with contract and I'd have to add another $150 without a contract.

it annoys me how none of the smartphone manufacturers can get anything right.

I'm sure its not THAT difficult to pop on modaco and see the issues people are having with them and what they wanted, ie. multi-press keys, diagonals that WORK, no dust in ur screen etc.. - why is it that all smartphone manufacturers develop with their head in the sand, and dont even seem to bother testing handsets.

Its a real shame that the whispers we've all been hearing are true, I would have loved the MPx220 photos I got hold of to have been poor as a result of being taken on a prototype model but it seems that things haven't been improved much ^_^

Guest squall

the c500 is pretty close to right, afterall phones cant be all things to all people, thing is the mpx220 is pretty huge so its not like they compromised quality for size

Guest rvacha

Bad news coupled with a bad track record (Moto isn't exactly known for supporting phones with firmware updates) has solidified my decision to get an SMT5600 once it becomes available. Given how delayed the MPx220 is already, I can only assume that the issues that remain (mechanicals, camera, flash, etc) are essentially unfixable. In hindsight it would appear that Moto would have been better off spending the money to start its Smartphone effort in-house instead of contracting Chi Mei for the MPx200. Once they did that time-to-market pressures probably forced them to go back to Chi Mei for the MPx220. Chi Mei doesn't hold a candle to HTC!

Guest MARKUKCOUK

gutting news ^_^

especially after the report about it coming to o2... this should of been the best Smartphone ever. :D Where did it all go wrong

Guest r1c4rd0

I would have loved the MPx220 ... but now i will to buy sp3i, htc feeler like spv c500 much better than mpx220. i prefer the sp3i.

moto was disappointed me...

I would have loved the MPx220 ... but now i will to buy sp3i, htc feeler  like spv c500 much better than mpx220. i prefer the sp3i.

moto was disappointed me...

100% agree. I never thought, that the Reloaded Version of the MPx200 could not reach the quality. I think now I'll keep my sweet, little black C500 or maybe the i-Mate SP3i.

I'm a little bit dissapointed from Moto ... and on the other Side realy surprised of the good work from HTC afte the SPV E200.

Thanks for info, Paul!

Guest nickcornaglia

I've been waiting for the AT&T/Cingular version of the C500 anyway. So I'm not too dissappointed.

Here's something silly, but I hated how much "material" there is framing the screen of the MPx220. Reminds me of the i600 screen which gets lost in the housing around it. The MPx200 di not look this was though. They had minimal material to the left and right of the screen.

The only possible seller of the MPx220 would have been the camera & flash for me. But since they suck....I know which direction I'll be going.

Guest McHale

all this from *ONE* guy's oppinion?

jeesh...

Why don't we wait until the masses start buying them and get a *COUPLE* reports before you close Motorola's smartphone department.

I've talked to people who have them (different stages of the pre-release version) and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one. Was told that Best Buy near me may have it today. If so, I'll have one this afternoon...

-Mc

yea, I'm really surprised myself to hear everyone say how good the C500 is and how bad the MPX220 is.... I'd still be interested in hearing opinions from more people that have used both, but it sounds like I'll be waiting for the SDA now as I'd prefer to have a joystick. I really hope they fix the GAPI issue though (it'd be nice if they could fix the multi key press too).

Ha! Just when I thought I was done with HTC phones.... looks like I'll be getting a third one now.... I wonder how Motorola's Mpx PPC phone will turn out now....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.