C500 Pics on SD not surviving reboot - depends on homescreen

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Further to my posts elsewhere, about C500 images stored on the SD Card used as Wallpapers not surviving a reboot, I have found something out...

They DO work ok and survive a reboot if using the Default Orange homescreen xml.

But using my OWN modified xml they don't.

I know this has affected other users too though so it is not JUST the xml I am using that has issues.

That being the case, can any clever peeps out there have a look through the xml I am using, and see if they can spot any reason why this xml means images chosen from the SD card to use as background walls (via the settings menu, NOT multimedia album method) don't survive a reboot...?

Thanks.

My code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Deemon

[email protected]

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText111NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

Call in progress:

SMS ()

SMS ()

MMS ()

MMS ()

Missed ()

Missed ()

Em ... yeah, thats true about the background tag. Unless you manually select the background image you want in the settings/homescreen menu. Dunno what the post above is talking about stuff being in the windows folder for!? You said you stored the images on SD card, right? :shock:

Guest midnight

hmmm, it does indeed appear to be that if you have a default background image in the xml, and then you change that in settings, and your image is on the mini SD then, when you reboot it doesnt display the image, which is indeed a bug. Remove the default image from the xml and then it appears to pick up the image from the miniSD correctly.

Guest shadamehr
hmmm, it does indeed appear to be that if you have a default background image in the xml, and then you change that in settings, and your image is on the mini SD then, when you reboot it doesnt display the image, which is indeed a bug. Remove the default image from the xml and then it appears to pick up the image from the miniSD correctly.

Midnight, when I say I struggled like hell just to work out how to change the font size in my xml, I'm understating by MILES.

So are you saying there is some code I can change or remove from my xml code above, that is indicating a default image, and in so doing, I can then choose the image to use through the settings menu, and it will survive a reboot...?

I ASSUME this is what you mean, because as indicated, images used in conjunction with the ORANGE theme survive a reboot.

If so, given that I know NOTHING about xml, can you indicate to me what I need to REMOVE from the code above, to get this to work...?

Thanks mate.

There is no background image tag in that xml.

In your xml, after this section

default font-face="nina" font-size="11" fgcolor="#000000" font-weight="normal" padding-left="0" padding-right="0" bgcolor="transparent" b-border-width="0">  

add this ...

Guest shadamehr
There is no background image tag in that xml.

In your xml, after this section

add this ...

Er, three little dots...?

I'm sure you meant more than that.

To avoid any confusion, can you type that section of code as it SHOULD appear?

Thanks mate.

EDIT:

Now that's REALLY weird. In your actual post, I only see three dots. But in the copy and quote above, I see the whole line of what you mean. Strange.

So are you both saying that if i just enter a background image tag, and refer it to a proper image (and your example shows the Phone memory, not the SD card - does this matter?), I will STILL be able to then go into Settings > Homescreen however, and change it to whatever image I want, and then this will survive a reboot...?

Cheers

Guest shadamehr

Well guys... I just did a little test...

I amended the xml code as you indicated to include a background image tag, and referred it to the normal Orange "Fence.jpg" image stored in the Home folder on the Phone Memory.

Then I tried changing my Homescreen to an image saved on the SD Card.

This was set fine.

Then I rebooted, and lo and behold, a BLANK screen yet again.

So adding a background image tag pointing to a file on the Phone memory is NOT the answer, so I'm off to experiment a little more now...

This is really strange, as for whatever reason I have not yet found out, this works FINE with images using the Orange homescreen...

Guest shadamehr

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN the C500...

I just changed my xml so the background image tag refers now to a file on the SD card.

Set that xml, using the default colour, and the default image, and it finds it FINE!!!!

But again, as soon as you reboot, a WHITE screen.... and That's WITHOUT changing the default image.

So how the BLOODY HELL does this work with the Orange homescreen, but NOT others...?

Why do images saved on the SD card survive a reboot using the Orange homescreen, but NOT for others..?

Anyone wanna examine the code for the orange homescreen on the C500 and see why this might be happening..?

Guest shadamehr

Is it perhaps simply because the Orange homescreen xml is ROM based, and stored in the Windows folder, whereas user homescreen xml is stored in the StorageApplication DataHome folder..?

if so, is there anywhere else you can save custom xml homescreens to, as I'm sure on my E200 it was a different location...?

Guest shadamehr

Start > Settings > Homescreen...

Then in there, I go to background image, and browse from the list of images.

If I set one on the MiniSD card this way, with the Orange Homescreen, it survives a reboot.

With other homescreens, including the one I modified the way you mentioned, they do NOT survive a reboot.

Alternatively of course, I can use the Multimedia Album to browse for images, and Set As Background that way, but doing it this way works for ANY homescreen - it's just NOT the way I want to be able to change my images - I prefer and rely on the usual Start > Settings > Home Screen method I've always used on my smartphones.

So the strange things so far are:

1 Using the Orange homescreen, it survives a reboot.

2 Using an E200, it all works fine regardless what you do

3 Setting the image via the camera app, or the Multimedia Album, also survives a reboot for all homescreens, but I SUSPECT, this is because it CACHES the image to phone memory when you do it this way.

What I want to be able to do, and SHOULD be able to, a la E200 style, is store my pics on the SD Card, use the Settings Menu to select the homescreen AND wallpaper image to use, and have this survive a reboot.

Damn the C500 ;-)

Guest midnight

errr, you need to REMOVE the background image from homescreens to get it working, not add it (which is what i thought i said earlier? oh well) ^_^

remove the background image from all homescreens and then you can select a background in settings including ones from the SD card

Guest shadamehr
errr, you need to REMOVE the background image from http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>homescreens to get it working, not add it (which is what i thought i said earlier? oh well) ^_^

remove the background image from all http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>homescreens and then you can select a background in settings including ones from the SD card

Midnight, no mate...

Cos as you should be able to see from my xml up above, the xml NEVER HAD a Background tag in to start with, and this was when I was experiencing the problem of them not surviving a reboot on the SD card.

DrBlow had specified that I SHOULD include the background tag, and so todday I tried that, but to no avail either.

But certainly NOT including the background image tag is not the answer, because that's exactly what my xml was like in the first place...

Is this driving you as mad as it's driving me...?

:cry: