C500 Alienware Homescreen - preview

Guest markhammill

Guest markhammill

Hi everyone here is my first homescreen.

It works but isn't finished yet, if anyone else would like to suggest what needs doing next I would appreciate the input.

It is a tribute to the new Alienware windows blinds theme and I can't take any praise for the icons as they were all done by the skinfactory.

The two *.bmh file need to be copied to the /windows directory and will be erased after re-starts. Thanks for the tutorial on the C500 plugin Crafty.

I tried to get the xml to change the colours of the menus etc, but it doesn't seem to work.

If anyone could assist with an hme or cab file when it is fixed that would be great.

Edit: Colours fixed and added iconbar, missed call screens and new mail screen

Edit #2: (v1.4) Backgrounds improved thanks to Crafty's suggestions. No message, GPRS disconected and Bluetooth off icons added.

Edit #3: (v1.5) Now finished, being uploaded to as a new topic shortly

Thanks for all the help Crafty and BrAGoL

Alienware SC.gif

Guest markhammill

I'm afraid it needs the plugin that is built into the C500. I could remove the icons and make it into just a wallpaper but it would be pretty dull then.

Looks great - nice to see that the Tut came in handy! I especially like the subtle blue lighting that seems to be under the icon. What colours are you trying to change? Check out this colour reference to help you track it down. When it's done i can cab it up for ya - should be v simple seeing as it's based on Mac Lite so I can use the inf from that.

Guest markhammill

Great job Crafty, I think the one you have used on the screenshot is the best, and it looks like you have fixed the colours. You can change any you think need changing.

Which extra screens do you think need doing if any?

glad you like it ^_^ - i didn't change any of the colours tho - which ones were ryou refering to? I think you should change the start button colous to match the colour scheme though - they look a bit out of place.

If you have the Alienware images to work with why not skin all of the extra screens - they're pretty easy to do. Check out Smart Tweak of one of my E200 skins for whcih screens can be skinned.

btw have you got a link to the windowblind and icons as i couldn't find them and would like to check them out!

Guest markhammill

From your screen grab the menu text at the top is blue as intended.

On my phone it wouldn't change and staid white. I will have to test it again then I can start tweaking the colours.

Here is the link to the windows theme.

I'll give the extra screens a go soon

Guest markhammill

Hi Crafty,

Could you test the updated version. I can't get the extra screens to work properly. They also scroll up and down like the ones on your theme.

Mark, i like the new darker look a lot. The only strange bit is the top corners of the icon bar look a bit strange but i'm not sure how you could get rid of them and retain the curved effect. I also really like the red backing for the bt icon - how about doing the same for the batter, signal strength and GPRS? You could even do the new message icon - that would be pretty cool so as your battery goes down, or signal strength drops they show up as red.

About the hiding missed call and message notifications, i think the problem is something to do with focus. When they display, they do not properly change the focus so sometimes don't draw properly - thats why in iCandy and Gant i ended up putting the notification popups underneath the row of icons as these will always display properly and the focus defaults to these (as they are the first selectable plugin) so it always draws properly. With these mods of the verticle icon plugin, there is no selectable plugin you can put the popup notification below for the focus to default to, so when the popup becomes visable the focus can be in the wrong area and it won't draw properly.

At least that's what i think is going on! Hope you got that?!? I like the extra screens and don't mind sometimes having to scroll up. I find that they work properly if the keys are locked whcih mine are 99% of the time.

Guest markhammill

Thanks for all the help Crafty.

I've updated the wallpaper now using your suggestion and it looks much better.

I think I'll ignore the problem with the iconbar for now, but if I thinck of something I'll change it.

New icons added for no message and GPRS disconnected. I agree the battery signal icons would be the most impressive. It wanted to have different colours as the battery goes down as well, but both icons change shape when either on charge or in flight mode so I left them in the end.

If there ok as they are then I'll leave the extra screens the same, suits me ^_^

The last thing I would like to do is change the text colour of the unselected day numbers in the week view of the calendar. I can't find a way to do it yet. The background is linked to the colour of the home buttons so I don't want to change that.

Guest SCIZZORS

theres no way i can copy and replace the .bmh files becasue they are in use! please help!

Also when trying to install the cab file directly from the card, it says i have inadequate system permissions??

any ideas?

Guest SCIZZORS

o ya i forgot i fixed that later someone helped me with that, thanks mark.

but is there any fix to keep that screen with out always having to keep replacing the files?>

Would it be possible for someone to write a small executable that can copy the files listed in a config file to the Windows directory. This could be placed into My Device/Storage/Windows/Startup and will execute everytime the phone is switched on.