Orange 3G Delay

Guest atonks

Looks like Orange are delaying the launch of 3G. See here

By John Oates

Published Tuesday 12th October 2004 10:34 GMT

L'Orange might delay the consumer launch of 3G handsets until after Christmas if technical glitches are not sorted out.

Orange chief executive Sanjiv Ahuja told Reuters: "If the overall customer experience is not right, I would feel comfortable pushing the 3G launch to next year." He said problems would have to be sorted out by early November to allow the launch to go ahead.

Ahuja also criticised some handsets for generating too much heat: "you can fry eggs on them ..." But he said the firm's roadmap remained unchanged - it still hopes to offer two handsets for Christmas.

Orange has appointed a new head for the UK. Bernard Ghillebaert becomes executive vice president for Orange UK. He replaces John Allwood, who has left the mobile firm to join newspaper publisher the Telegraph Group. Ghillebaert previously ran Orange's Belgian subsidiary, Mobistar. ®

[edit by pzee- article quoted then moved to News Section]

As I'm on the 3G trial, I couldn't possibly comment :wink:

Guest hotphil

I heard it was just one brand of the handsets they are trialling that suffer from this potential issue and it affects the same handsets on other networks. Everyone I know on the trial received a different handset though, so I've no idea how bad the problem is.

Guest ClintEastman
I heard it was just one brand of the handsets they are trialling that suffer from this potential issue and it affects the same handsets on other networks. Everyone I know on the trial received a different handset though, so I've no idea how bad the problem is.

well, i know that BOTH handsets on the trial had problems, and that there are talks about trialing ANOTHER handset very soon, don't know what it is but i sure know what one they will drop!!!!!!

I trialed it and it's unreliable, nextdoor to no features and is the size of a baby elephant!!!! :roll:

Roll on the new trial i say! :wink:

[edit] Andy they made you sign that NDA, but i never signed one, bit odd!! [/edit]

Guest ClintEastman
Samsung next. Allegedly.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I was just told it is a sanyo....

Have you been told you are on the next one (starting after the 28th)??

It's birmingham only...

Apparently, my name is on a spreadsheet somewhere, and they'll be in touch. They definitely said Samsung to me. Allegedly.

Or maybe I dreamt it.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

It would seem there are rumours almost daily about the whole Orange/3G delay issue... for instance the article quoted in this thread seems to be flying around the web in many forms... here is a section from the same source as printed in Reuters

INTERVIEW: Orange Might Delay 3G Launch to 2005

Mon Oct 11, 2004 03:47 PM ET  

"Orange believes in (getting it) right the first time and when we launch new products and services we do it right."  

Orange, the largest mobile phone company in Britain and France, said it still hoped to sell at least two models made by vendors such as South Korea's LG Electronics and Sony Ericsson in time for Christmas.  

"Orange's roadmap for a fourth-quarter launch of 3G services remains unchanged," he noted. But he said last-minute glitches would have to be resolved by early November to ensure a Christmas launch.  

Ahuja, who said any 3G phones sold by Orange would be "world class," slammed some of the handsets currently on offer for turning into cookers when used.  

"If you want to generate heat, you do not have to use cooking appliances," he told the ETRE conference. "I say, use your mobile 3G phone for that ... You can fry eggs on them."  

And as you can see reading that quote points to handsets other than those being trialed or potentially released by Orange as the ones with the major problems!!! Either way though as smartphone users I'm sure we would be the first to point out that orange hasn't been quite so studious about releasing handsets that are totally glitch free in the past!!! ^_^

Whatever happens tho I hope it happens sooner rather than later... I have a free upgrade burning a whole in my pocket just waiting on a 3G handset for it to get used on :D

Guest rickyburke

give it a year or 5.

to be honest dont see the point of 3g phones.

had one before and downloading things quicker is a bit more convienient, but video calling doesn't impress me at all, why pay more money just so you and your mate can look at each other, not like you haven't seen each other before, think the only use is for kinky lovers when apart for a bit of naughty action!

until 3g phones can be a fair size and have as much functionality as the up and coming smartphones, why bother!! add to that the fact that the networks arent covering a lot of the UK, think orange has about 60-70%, i am impressed with the 3g services, but none of the phones do anything for me at the moment.

give it a while and itll be worth it, but most people have a 3g phone just to have a 3g phone.

its a status thing at the moment, and im not getting caught up in the hype im afraid!

Guest rickyburke

i can see the point that 3g download speeds are very good, but whats the point of being able to download something 10meg quick, when you know your gonna pay through the nose for it!!!!!

All inclusive internet access would solve it, but im not too sure we'd be paying less than £80 a month for it.

How can home internet providers give us 1meg access for £20 a month, but when it comes to mobile phone operators, we have to pay £10 for 15meg per month!

to be honest if im downloading anything of large size, id rather download it to my pc for nothing then transfer it to my phone.

thus getting rid of the need for 3g services.

until it can be cost effective to download large amounts of information over 3g networks, i remain sceptical.

There's nothing to be sceptical about, if we had that attitude we'd all still be using WAP rather than GPRS for example. Progress is a good thing as far as i'm concerned.

Guest hotphil
How can home internet providers give us 1meg access for £20 a month, but when it comes to mobile phone operators, we have to pay £10 for 15meg per month!

Core infrastructure been in place for decades, espcially the all-important "last mile".

Billions and billions and billions and squillions and squillions of pounds to recover that they paid for licence in the government auction. Which, if you think about it, amounts to tax by proxy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.