Skype may be coming to MS Smartphones

Guest squall

Skype prepares video over internet service

Firm admits that it may have underestimated SIP

Robert Jaques, vnunet.com 19 Oct 2004

Internet telephony firm Skype has promised to expand its range of free and low-cost voice over internet services with the launch of a video calling offering in the new year.

Niklas Zennstörm, Skype chief executive and co-founder, said today that the company was currently testing a video-over-IP service.

"We can easily develop new services on top of Skype," he said. "One is video and we are expecting to deliver something next year."

He added that the firm was able to deliver a video offering currently, but was continuing development to ensue that service quality was acceptable.

The operator, which offers free or low-cost voice calls by routing traffic over the internet, also announced that it was developing software that will allow its voice offering to be used on next-generation smartphones.

"In April we released Skype for Pocket PC. The next step will be Skype for different types of smartphones. We are currently evaluating different smartphone operating systems including Microsoft, Symbian, Palm and Linux," said Zennstörm.

He acknowledged that the firm may have made a mistake in underestimating the fast-growing market acceptance of IP phones conforming to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) standard which effectively allows IP calls to be automatically routed to compliant handsets.

"We may have made the wrong decision. We looked at the whole SIP standard and saw problems with it," said Zennstörm. "We developed proprietary technology to solve these problems."

He went on to claim that most Skype customers were not currently interested in making voice over IP calls to SIP-enabled handset users.

"We take great care to listen to our subscribers and, so far, making calls to other SIP-based voice users is very far down their lists," said Zennstörm. "It is not on their lists therefore it is not on our lists."

Source: computing.co.uk

Skype is an application that allows you to make phone calls to others over the net. In the case of a mobile phone its done via GPRS.

Skype have experience with the Windows Mobile platform following the release of a Pocket PC version earlier this year.

Guest ultimasnake

hehehe funny just installing skype on my computer and was wondering when a smartphone version would be available (since there is already a ppc version)

though i think this will only be interesting for people who can use LOADS of bandwith with there gprs.. i am stuck with 2mb per month don't think a decent phone call would be in order:P

Guest beersoft

ohh, something i have a small amount of knoweldge about ^_^

the main problem with skype is that you can only call other skype users or pay stupid money for one of the skype > pstn gateway services.

when its got features like call forwarding, ddi numbers and i can call a skype number from my land line then its useful as a bussiness tool, instead of the gimick that it is at the moment.

www.iptelecoms.com - real voip based soloutions

later

Owen

i guess you could use your smartphone as a usb headset, plug it into the pc and use pass through?

alternitivly connect to the pc via bt and you could have your very own cordless?

Guest beersoft

using that logic, you might as well use a bt headset on your pc, its a load cheaper than a smartphone

BTW how would i dial 192.168.0.10 from my deskphone?

later

Owen

Guest midnight

yeh, must be said, its kinda pointless, and would end up being more expensive than a regular phone call. The only use i can see is using bluetooth as mentioned, the advantage is you actually dial it from the phone not the pc

Guest Microsoft

Sure mid.. But is MINI-SD-WLAN invented yet? If it is it will not cost much i guess..... Or we wait 2-3 mouths until someone have invented it => done, free calls in wlan areas

Guest beersoft

http://www.peripheralcorner.co.uk/product_...products_id/443 This is?

http://www.dustin.se/DacsaPortal/?ProdID=5010063139

Look at SDIO

Ja = Yes

So i think it will be enable to have Mini-SD-WLAN = Free calls

ok then, where are the smartphone drivers?

and anyone ever used a wifi hotspot?

its a lot more expensive per hour than a phonecall (except to those 090 numbers we know and love ^_^)

later

Owen

http://www.peripheralcorner.co.uk/product_...products_id/443 This is?

http://www.dustin.se/DacsaPortal/?ProdID=5010063139

Look at SDIO

Ja = Yes

So i think it will be enable to have Mini-SD-WLAN = Free calls

im afraid not, althoug the phone is SDIO, there are no drivers for the hardare hence it will not work. All we need is drivers, but theres not been any in the last 6 months and as i said there is no signs there will be a smartphone compatable wifi any time soon

windows mobile 2003 is the generic name for all devices with wm2003 on them pc and smartphone. That is compatible with ppc devices, not smartphones.

It does not work with smartphones, there is no wifi that works with smartphones

Guest Microsoft
windows mobile 2003 is the generic name for all devices with wm2003 on them pc and smartphone. That is compatible with ppc devices, not smartphones.

It does not work with smartphones, there is no wifi that works with smartphones

Okay okay.. But why do it have SDIO then?

so that if hardware manufacturers decide they want to make something the phone can handle it. The only limiting factor is the hardware manufacturers developing drivers.

Hmmm, can't decide which would be more useful on my C500: Skype or an app to change TV channels! :-k

That's it................ NEITHER! If I want to make phone calls, I'll use the phone (CC @1/2p per min to UK LLs) and if I want to change TV channels I'll use the TV remote.

Guest Microsoft
heheh if it were proper mini sd it should fit in a mini sd slot ^_^  

however valid point, you have seen how big the regular sd card is....

Hum.. I guess they said in 1945 like "How the hell could this huge calcuator be smaller than my hand?!!!"

have electronic calculators been around since 1945? Are you sure they weren't talking about an abacus or a slide rule? Those still aren't smaller than your hand!

^_^

-Mc

I seriously doubt Skype will function on currently available Smartphones, and they mention in the FAQs that (on PPC) it doesn't work over GPRS (not enough bandwidth for any kind of consistant quality). But I expect we'll be seeing new phones with WiFi built in very soon, if they're not out already, for when you're hanging around a hotspot. And like Paul said, 3G is coming. I read a review by a guy working in the middle east that was using Skype on his PPC to keep in touch with family in the UK. He was hooked into one of the new "waiting for 3G" high speed mobile networks (it wasn't quite 3G, but it was a lot faster than GPRS - if I find the link I'll post it) and it worked really well.

The point being that this (Skype on Smartphones) is a 'coming soon' thing - trying to figure out how it'll work on available devices (ie: using it as a headset for your computer), or discounting the possibilities because it's viewed as an impossible with current devices is missing the big picture.

IMHO of course ^_^

Guest maxh2003
3G will change the game on that front!

I'm interested to know *how* it will change the game. I realise data rates are much higher on 3G (can anyone give a real-world estimate?) but unless the prices per Mb are *much* lower, it still won't be worth doing. Orange's 3G data prices don't look good to me at all -> http://www.orange.com/English/media/pressa...p?id=123&bhcp=1

<- obviously too expensive for most people paying their own bill. They won't recoup expensive 3G licence fees from me with prices like that. No matter how good their Manchester United footage is, lol.

For me it still looks like WLAN is the way forward for cost-effective data rates (in built-up areas, at least) and I *still* fear that we won't see WLAN smartphones for a long, long time, PocketPC Phone Editions notwithstanding. The technology's already out there, and it's cheap too; the WLAN smartphone should already have happened IMO.

What we all want is cheap, unmetered wireless broadband. The 3G networks, I think, envisage packaged short-length video clips ( http://3gnewsroom.co.uk/3g_news/oct_04/news_5028.shtml ).

Short clips? Pah!

Back on topic: Skype is IMO rubbish on my pocketpc, even over WLAN. So I hope they produce a better Smartphone port than their PPC port.

Let's also bear in mind that Skype is also instant messaging, which is why we need it on Smartphone even if the voice bit is rubbish.

Guest Microsoft
have electronic calculators been around since 1945?  Are you sure they weren't talking about an abacus or a slide rule?  Those still aren't smaller than your hand!

^_^

-Mc

wasent the computer invented in 1943? Dont you call it a calculator?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.