Skype may be coming to MS Smartphones

Guest squall

Midnight, tell me you just searched for that on a whim and didn't already have that bookmarked. Your wealth of knowledge often amazes me, but this is just scary!

-Mc

p.s. according to the article, the world's first electronic desktop calculator was in the late 60's (ANITA). I think the computer was around the same time.

Guest midnight

hehe, trust me, i searched cos i was just interested when it was, never know it may come up in a pub quiz somewhere (not that ive entered a pub quiz in about 5 yrs) ^_^

Guest beersoft

/.me follows mids lead, and drags this back on topic

i have thought about it and skype is still a gimic

yes its a 'cool' tech demo but in the real world its pointless, i mean whats the point of a phone system that only allows you to call people on the same system, who are logged in and have enough bandwith to deal with a call

and do we really need another IM client?

later

Owen

still working out how to dial "[email protected]" from a land line

I completely agree with beersoft!!

It would just besomething that would show off the capabilities of our amazing phones, but not actually usefull.

and If you want to have an IM client that can send little voice messages... then get the new Agile messenger (even though I haven't figured out how to work it right yet).

Pigo

thinking back there have been a number of users who have asked how to use there smartphone as a handset to make calls via the internet, this would do the job. I know may people who do use the internet for calls, ie calling australia is the common one.

Using skype and bluetooth to connect to the internet via broadband could work without actually having to buy a usb headset - money saved

One of the things i love about the smartphone platform is the variety of things you can do with it. Being able to do more things with your phone isnt a bad thing, even if some people see them as pointless

Guest boverhuisr

Hi,

I think Skype works quite well for specific situations. I use it to make calls with collegues whom across the globe (for instance Europe to Asia). Besides that its free, the connection is very good, much better than normal phoneline connection with much less delay for long distances.

I would be very interested in using my Smartphone (Orange C500, WM2003) as a handset. The smartphone should make a Internet connection with my PC using Bluetooth (when in range).

One option should be to redirect the sound (in/out) from my PC to my Smartphone. Any ideas how to do this?

Another solution would be to have s Skype client on my Smartphone.

Any clue when this will be available and whether Bluetooth would be supported?

Regards,

Rene

• 2 weeks later...

OK so it would be usefull as a pass-through handset. but as a standalone internet connection... not really.

don't know about 3G though. when this is out it could start to be a trend.... at least amongst the heavy phone users.

Pigo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.