Orange to promote SPV 'Push' based Email with 'Smartner'

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

From information at silicon.com, it has been revealed that Orange are to promote a 'Push' based service for Email for users of SmartPhones, with the C500 singled out especially, whereby a user no longer has to manually 'check' for emails themselves. (Similar to the Blackberry system).

Orange chooses Smartner for push email  

Smartner software on smart phones…  

Smartner has been signed up by Orange to help users of that network get email on their mobile phones.  

Duality is the name of an email delivery service from the Scandinavian mobile messaging company - email is automatically delivered to a user's handset rather than being requested or downloaded each time. It will be available to some 45 million Orange customers as of its launch.  

Orange points out that it can be used on any of its smart phones, though a release singles out the SPV C500. Orange is the only UK provider of various SPVs, which are from a Taiwanese device-maker and run Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system.  

Smartner Duality allows users to stay in sync with Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes from a smart phone or wirelessly connected PDA.  

The big success in the mobile email space has been the BlackBerry from Canadian company RIM. However, its devices are optimised for email rather than a range of applications and of course run only RIM email software on the client.  

Of the four main UK mobile operators, Orange has been the least enthusiastic about the BlackBerry but instead offered a wide range of handsets, offering exclusive deals for devices such as SPVs and the Treo smart phone from PalmOne.

Source: Silicon.com

Guest chucky.egg

Hmm. I looked at this a while back when I had my P900. At the time there was no "Internet Edition" (that lets you check your ISP POP box) and it only ran on corporate systems like Exchange and Lotus.

There is an "Internet Edition" now, but it's basically scheduled downloads still, which doesn't seem to be a lot better than the built in client. You can schedule checks for 15,30,60 and 120 minutes and "Never", but also between certain hours Mon-Fri and Weekends - you can also set a different schedule for downlaods outside of those hours... you'll see what I mean when you set it up.

When you install it you have to install the Certificate as well (even on an unlocked phone it seems) and reboot. Otherwise you get the new email icon, but the "Duality" mailbox doesn't appear so you can't access it!

You can get a demo to try it out from here: http://demo.smartner.com/internet/

Or if you want to download it direct to your phone go here: http://demo.smartner.com/get/

The trial lasts about 3 weeks, and on the website you can see the amount of data sent and recieved (which is nice ^_^ )

Guest chucky.egg

Not sure about this, but I set my "old" account to Never automatically download emails, so that it wouldn't interfere with Duality.

Duality hasn't downloaded anything new, but when I just did a manual download on the "old" account it came up with 6 messages. I'm not sure about all of them, but I know some of them are old ones I deleted.

I've checked the POP box and they have gone from the server, and I will try sending myself some more test messages to see what happens.

So far it doesn't look too good IMO!

Guest Confucious

If you have to schedule downloads what is the advantage over the built in client. The whole point of push technology is that when something arrives it comes straight through and you don't have to schedule downloads - it is the one thing the Blackberry was really good at and what I miss about my Blackberry.

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, you're right

AFAICT it's not "push" at all, it's not even "push/pull" - it's slightly better than the built in client because you can setup different profiles for weekdays/evenings and weekend days/evenings, but that's about it.

Of course there may be differences in the version they are working on for O... have to wait and see.

Guest Confucious

Yippee! Doesn't help us non corprate users.

Unless, of course, MoDaCo set up an Exchange Server to access our mail and push it to us - Now that WOULD be worth becoming a Plus member for. ^_^

• 1 month later...
shush, he might just say "Yes" without thinking! :)

agreed, however it wont work SP2003SE handsets as it doesnt create a duality mailbox all you get is notifications of new mails :(, anyway an advantage over the built in client was that it compressed the data reducing GPRS costs a major selling point.

Been using it on my nokia 6600 since july, the client installation created the duality mailbox and worked a treat and bills were no where near £5 compared to O2's blackberry internet mail proposition at 15 pounds per month basic, the smartner internet mail was and still is by far a better option.

rgds

jim

I find the best way to get instant e-mails is to set up a Orange email account as orange will send you free texts when you have mail.

The next thing to do is forward all other email accounts to the orange one.

It ain't perfect as some times the text message can be a while coming through but it does save having to check all the time.

can you confirm it does creates the mailbox on 2003se?

on another note, although my network (t-mobile) do provide a reliable notification service it aint free.

jim

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest chucky.egg

I can confirm it, because I had it installed and working.

Because it's not actually "push" (for my setup at least) I don't still have it, but it's easy enough to test

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Danlance

Can I point out a free service that orange offers (I think to anyone, definately to orange account holders), which whilst not being a complete push solution, does offer instant notification of incoming email

If you go to www.orange.net and select email & organise, email alerts, you will be able to set up an orange.net email account, with free sms alerts of any incoming email.

These sms alerts contain the sender and the subject of the email, which is generally enough to decide whether you want to dwnload the mail.

I can then use the pop client on my phone to download the latest emails if I want to view them. (I am uing a treo 600 which I can configure to only download recent email)

A downside of this solution is that if you want alerting about mail to a different account, you will need to setup forwarding to the orange.net account - but there are plenty of web based solutions for doing so (I am using bigfoot - so its not too much of an issue).

HTH

Dan.

• 1 month later...
Guest C500mad

Orange has push email and calender for companies if you use exchange or domino servers that will work with the C500, P900, Tre 600, M1000, M2000. Usually free server software with £15 per month Pay as you use or £30 unlimited use with a fair usage policy - Its called Orange Office Freedom and I use it all the time

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.