C500 Update available to download from Orange UK!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pisquee

> Whilst performing the update, don't disconnect your SPV C500 from the power supply or from your PC and don't touch any of the buttons on your SPV C500.

Hmm, they are still thinking in terms of pre-c500 where you had seperate power and usb connections.

Also, nice to see windows 98 is included in compatible OS list

Guest pisquee

And, checking the FAQ page reveals more ...

I have received an error message while running the SPV C500 update?

You may see an error while running the update. If this happens, please check that:

The USB cable is plugged directly into a main USB port on your PC, not into a USB hub.

The AC adapter is switched on and plugged into the SPV C500 correctly.

Guest shadamehr
And, checking the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=37>FAQ page reveals more ...

I have received an error message while running the SPV C500 update?

You may see an error while running the update. If this happens, please check that:

The USB cable is plugged directly into a main USB port on your PC, not into a USB hub.  

The AC adapter is switched on and plugged into the SPV C500 correctly.

Well, I can plug in my USB connection cable...

OR I can plug in my AC Adaptor cable...

But I sure as hell can't do BOTH.

Nice advice Orange - wish you'd update your info so it actually specifically fits each device! :-)

So as not to confuse newbies... Ignore my sarcastic dig at Orange.

Just make sure you have a fully charged battery, and then use your normal USB connection cable....

Guest shadamehr

@ Paul...

Paul, where's the NEW version of Sprite Backup for SmartPhones you mention mate.

Can't see anything on the Sprite site, and my trial version of the current one has expired...

So I was hoping to therefore legitimately try the latest version *lol*

Any links?

(Otherwise, can anyone else suggest the best FREE backup procedure for my phone, that will keep things like the O2 Connection, MMS, and Internet Settings I am using etc...?)

Guest shadamehr
you can usually find a piece of paper and a pen lying around that is free, and then jot down your settings

;-)

You bloody swine you...

And in this techological age you should have at least suggested MS Notepad.

Poor of you!

;-)

Just wondering , where would I stand with applying this on an SP3?

Since it is an Orange update, would it work at all, and if it did, would there be any weird effects.

TIA.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest shadamehr

Mmm - just noticed...

The Backup option is greyed out on my Activesync...

According to M.S., this might be because the device is not supported.

So can someone please tell me how I do the best possible backup of my C500 before doing this update, if I don't have and can't use, Sprite...?

Guest mavisdavis

AFter the 2 error messages I reset both the phone and the PC the tried again. IT WORKED :D

But the bit on the upgrade window whilst the bar is going across should be reworded.

"This Procedure should take 10 (MICROSOFT) minutes". ^_^

The whole upgrade including reboot took about 50 mins in total. But it had a happy ending :wink:

Guest peterweg

I got an error message, when trying to install. So I disconnected the c500 from the pc. Removed the PC's network cable (its says don't use ANY connections inc. LAN while uploading ROM)

Reconnected the C500 and did the upgrade ok. WMP9 is still there. Odd, I could not stop it playing the video playlist - and the sound - until I closed the task down in task manager. Hmm.

Guest chucky.egg

Just did the update, and Sprite restore does work even though it warns you that it probably won't BUT i had to go into Flight Mode first (never normally bother with that) because it couldn't close applications

Since the update though SmartFilter wont load - keeps saying the phone is not completely unlocked (even after several OTA Unlocks), anyone else having this?

Oh, and I've lost my list of installed apps. Dunno why, Sprite used to restore that too.

Guest pisquee

Have found that now when a text delivery report comes through it is now formatted in the correct international format with the + symbol, but still does not look at the contacts list and give you a name just the number.

Guest doyle_am

Just a note for anyone using Sprite Backup..... don't restore system data after doing the upgrade!

Tried it a couple of times and it breaks everything. Orange plugin won't load, can't turn flight mode off, turns app lock back on, can't find some registry settings and so on.

After a hard reset I opted only to restore personal data and then installed my list of apps manually. Didn't take long; might teach me not to take the easy route next time! ^_^

Guest namiran

Hey!

Could someone PLEASE tell me if this upgrade is doable even if i have a i-mate SP3 ??? I would really love the new GPRS class and the fact that the display doesnt turn off...

Guest pisquee

Imate will be working on their own version, best bet is to wait for that.

You could probably try the update - it may work from the 3 colour bootloader screen, it may work, or you may end up with a useless phone that you can't do anything with. feel free to try but you have been warned.

Guest namiran

okey...i was hoping someone already tried and could comfirm it works...i have the i-mate but as soon as qtek releases there ROM im going to have to change anyways (want swedish t9)...so i though tht if this upgrade works then the qtek upgrade should work to eventually...?

Guest namiran

okey... :D i was hoping there would be a way, like they did on the e200...well i guess i'll continue writing english sms's still for a while...and...be waiting for the i-mt update...atleast till i know this update works for other...

thanx for the quick replies ^_^

Guest Disco Stu

Another Sprite warning here.

Went to pub after 3 attempts to restore. Have sent crash log to Sprite for analysis and will report back when sober :wink:

Failed restore kept doing the partial-reset / software lock thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.