C500 Update available to download from Orange UK!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Disco Stu

They will be wiped, as is normal for ROM upgrades, but they're easily restored when the installer takes you through the ActiveSync partnership set-up.

That's the easy bit.

My problem is with everything else in RAM.

(Both old & new versions of Sprite - old ROM had Typhoon in the name, this has HTC instead, is this a clue ?)

Guest shadamehr

My own Sprite Story...

As my own Trial version of Sprite had expired, I couldn't use it to do an uptodate backup of my phone first before upgrading.

I DID however, have a three or four week old backup file of my phone already on my PC.

This meant that I could do the ROM upgrade, THEN install sprite on the phone (as given the ROM upgrade, the registry is wiped, and it did not know that the trial has expired).

I then tried to restore my backup from the PC, BUT, (no offence Paul mate, but one thing I have ALWAYS hated about Smartphone Journal Sync tool you did - is it's automatic'ness, without being able to manually start and stop the service), when it connects to the phone, SmartJournal kept kicking in, and causing sprite to fail.

Sooooo,

I simply copied my backup file from PC to my SD card instead.

Then I told Sprite Backup to restore from the SD card.

And folks, it did so fine - system settings included....

At the end, when it says "Cleaning up" I got an error appear "ussd.exe" could not be run, and it kind of hung Sprite.

But the work was done by then, and after re-booting my phone, voila - including cleartype again, from the sprite backup.

So whilst not perfect, as my backup file was quite old, it was far far better than having to add all my O2 connection settings , ringtones, etc etc.

All I had to then do was do a sync with outlook for my missing contacts and calendar entires of the last three weeks.

So it CAN work folks - just thought I should mention my story, as moany (EDIT: that should say many - oops *lol* ) users are having problems with Sprite...

(Oh, and as an aside, my ROm update itself took less than four minutes... Don't ask me how, as some users report 50 minutes... mighty strange...)

Guest shadamehr
Anyone tried MMS yet? I am very interested in knowing if video in MMS really works, and maybe even voice recordings? Thanks.

Not actually sent one as such, but the issue was that when you were in an MMS compose, if you clicked the 'boxed' area in the middle where you insert a picture, when choosing options, the only option available was 'insert photo'

I can confirm now, that if you do this, and choose 'insert' - then video is now one of the options, and clicking this takes you to your album, with any existing videos listed, as well as the first icon itself of a video camera, which allows you to actually record a new one...

Guest shadamehr
Can you voice dial from a BT headset with the keypad locked yet or do you still have to unlock it?

Shaks

I don't know if this will EVER be fixed mate (not having tested it yet mind you).

Because as I said last time, this is a SECURITY feature.

Why keygaurd lock your phone to prevent people making calls, if someone can find your BT headset, switch it on, and voice dial out.

AT LEAST, that's the theory - the fact that voice tags are meant to be specific to your recorded voice doesn't seem to matter to Orange/HTC/MS

As does the fact that it doesn't just do this for security keylock which is possibly understandable (where a secific code is needed to unlock), but it also does it for standard keylock (where the hash key is all that is needed to unlock), and there is no reason why it should do that!

TWO THINGS I HAVE NOTICED...

1. Images STILL cannot be used as wallpapers on the SD card and last/survive a re-boot of the phone - this has not been fixed/looked at.

2. And a NEW thing - when switching on, when the phone looks for the network, what I have now noticed on the new ROM, happening every boot up, is that the GPRS 'G' symbol is found and displayed on the phone, BEFORE the network itself is found, which I'm sure never used to be the case, AND the network itself takes a fair bit longer to be found now, or so it seems for me - bear in mind I'm O2 on an unlocked C500 though... but this is a change from before the ROM upgrade.

Paul/Mods - it's way early maybe, but at some point, you might want to start a "C500 ROM upgrade - new bugs" thread. Though hopefully this time there will be little or none, and it seems that way from early usage so far.

Guest SCIZZORS

okok, good call

but i mean specifics such as the gaming bug and like the camera still staying open and such...

i know when i had spvdoom before the update, i could play it for awhile, but then i would always eventually freeze up. :shock:

SoOOoooO...everyone get everything reinstalled seamlessly? that dumb sprite back up never worked for me, so i had to do things manually (gripe)

Guest zippy172

Whole process for me took about 4.5 mins to download the rom update into the phone, 2 reboots and way to go importing my contacts/to do list/diary from Outlook....

Exasperated there are so few fixes in the update however, including the damned keyguard/voicedial feature :cry:

Guest rikwebb

COPILOT USERS BE WARNED !!!!!

You MUST de-activate the licence before installing the update. Otherwise you cannot licence the app.

I have just done mine and copilot will not let me activate the licence because it thinks it is still registered to another device.

Had to send tech support an email - hope they get back to me soon.

You have been warned

Rik

Haya everyone......

Since I'm quite new to the whole Smartphone thingy, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this update also works with the Dutch version of the HTC SPV C500.

On the UK site it is mentioned that you don't have to update if you have version 4.1, but I have version 4.21

Is this version of windows newer or older than the update...

And most of all, does the update work for a dutch version of Windows SE, or do I have to wait for the Dutch Orange to post a ROM update on their site?

Greetings!!!!

Haya everyone......

Since I'm quite new to the whole Smartphone thingy, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if this update also works with the Dutch version of the HTC SPV C500.

On the UK site it is mentioned that you don't have to update if you have version 4.1, but I have version 4.21

Is this version of windows newer or older than the update...

And most of all, does the update work for a dutch version of Windows SE, or do I have to wait for the Dutch Orange to post a ROM update on their site?

Greetings!!!!

Sorry for your troubles, just read on the Orange site that it doesn't work for other countries...

Does anybody know when the Dutch version of the ROM update will come available?????

I would have though it was a BAD idea to restore system setings with Sprite, after a ROM upgrade. If the ROM upgrade has installed new system files and made new registry entries, re-loading a Sprite backup is just going to replace the 'new' registry with the 'old' one and put back the old system files! Soft-resetting will re-load any new files in Windows but not StorageWindows and the registry will remain the 'old' one. Hence, BAD idea to restore system settings after a ROM upgrade!

So, if you start getting problems after doing a full restore, either now or in the future, don't be surprised. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you don't get all the benfits of the ROM upgrade.

I second the warning about copilot, I tripped up on exactly the same thing myself. Now I have to wait for support to help me reactivate the app.

The annoying thing is that this isn't mentioned in the manuals for copilot.

At least more than one person will be contacting them with the same problem!

Guest rikwebb
I second the warning about copilot, I tripped up on exactly the same thing myself. Now I have to wait for support to help me reactivate the app.

The annoying thing is that this isn't mentioned in the manuals for copilot.

At least more than one person will be contacting them with the same problem!

I should have known better - as I also own the PPC version, and it happens to that as well.

Oh well - you live and (eventually) learn....

Rik :oops:

Guest Disco Stu
I would have though it was a BAD idea to restore system setings with Sprite, after a ROM upgrade.  If the ROM upgrade has installed new system files and made new registry entries, re-loading a Sprite backup is just going to replace the 'new' registry with the 'old' one and put back the old system files!  Soft-resetting will re-load any new files in Windows but not StorageWindows and the registry will remain the 'old' one.  Hence, BAD idea to restore system settings after a ROM upgrade!

So, if you start getting problems after doing a full restore, either now or in the future, don't be surprised.

Good point, Fozzie, although the new version of Sprite is supposed to handle this.

I've used the third download option on their forum but this may be wrong. I think I'll be starting again from scratch though as this is probably the best way to be safe.

Good point, Fozzie, although the new version of Sprite is supposed to handle this.

Really? Where does it say that Stu? I couldn't find any info on their site.

Ta.

Can't see anything there about restoring a pre-ROM upgrade backup, post upgrade. (It mentions the upgrade mode for restoring to a different device: that seems like a different ball game to me?)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Can't see anything there about restoring a pre-ROM upgrade backup, post upgrade. (It mentions the upgrade mode for restoring to a different device: that seems like a different ball game to me?)

Guest ekkelon

Hi ... I am from Italy and I have a C500 Orange branded .... I would you like to know if can I use the last ROM available from Orange site to update my phone .... and in this case .... I will be after this upgrade the Italian language?

Thnx for the informations ...

Guest Disco Stu

You may well be right.

I thought 'different device' would cover new ROM but maybe not.

Did I get the right Sprite download - third one ?

Just installed the rom update on a Swiss C500 ... worked like a charm.

For the plus for this version :

- keypad is lighted when not using sensor

- screen does not blank anymore when set to never (at least it did not since 15 minutes when I installed the upgrade ^_^ )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.