C500 Update available to download from Orange UK!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pagemakers

Well I have to say, when I really needed the program I got let down by Sprite. Like you Stu, I just manually re-installed and re-configured my phone after the upgrade.

Orange should create some sort of facility to fully restore your apps after each upgrade.

Hey guys, just bought a C500 from Telepoint Luzern, when I try and run the Rom update I get the following error:

How did you manage to update the Rom, was it painless or did you have to mess around with Activsync or something?

Got the same version before (4.1.5.0), language =switzerland, but prog let me do the update without doind anything.

I just clicked a few time on next and update was done.

Phone was not in canary mode.

Note :

My C500 is app unlock (via OTA) and sim unlock. Maybe that's the difference ?

Sprite does what it does, extremely well. It's never let me down on a number of occasions. I think it's a bit much expecting it to work after something as major as a ROM upgrade. How could Sprite be expected to know which parts of the OS are safe to restore (because they remain unchanged by Orange) and which parts not to (because they have been updated)?

If this is for anyone to solve, it's Orange. They should be providing the facility to backup and restore after a ROM upgrade. All IMHO of course ^_^

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Phil Lee

I was able to use version 2 of Sprite Backup to restore my phone after the ROM upgrade. Here's what I did:

1. Install Sprite Backup 2 (unlocked).

2. Ran backup to PC so that the backup file was off the phone.

3. Performed a hard reset on the phone

4. Ran the ROM upgrade

5. Installed Sprite Backup Upgrade Data tool (unlocked)

6. Ran upgrade tool to get HTC.sbu upgrade file.

7. Installed Sprite Backup 2 (unlocked) again.

8. Copied upgrade file to StorageProgram FilesSprite Backup for Smartphone

9. Copied backup file to the memory card

10. Ran Sprite Backup and performed a restore from the memory card. The backup program correctly identified that it was an upgrade restore and picked up the upgrade file I created earlier. The restore completed successfully.

After the restore I was left with a fully operational C500 using the new OS. The following items did not get restored:

1. Phone owner name. This prevented xbar2 from running. After I'd set the owner info it worked ok.

2. Start menu order. This was because I didn't run OTA before doing the restore. I ran OTA and was then able to reorder the start menu using PHM Regedit.

3. E-mail and text messages. The backup tool documentation very clearly states that these are not restored during an upgrade restore.

Considering I was using a beta tool to perform the restoration I'm very happy with how things worked out. I decided to give it a go after I'd made sure I'd got a record of all apps on my phone and had done an active sync to Outlook so all my contacts were backed up. I also made sure I'd backed up all the stuff I'd put onto Storage manually, just in case.

Guest cybercamel

Just a quick question and apologies if it seems a bit dumb! If you have all your recently installed applications on your sd card, in my case a 256 one, can I just pop the original back in while I do the back up, hence saving the applications from having to be re-installed?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Anyone had problems with the latest version of sprite backup?

I'm trying the demo v2 and it's hanging on about 90% when I try

to save to the PC :?

Can someone who has updated please check something for me.

I cant play games such as Worms World Party unless I first turn off all the options on the Power Management screen because the power saving features cause the game to freeze after a few seconds. Paul mentioned in a topic a while back this would be fixed in the update. Can anyone confirm this has been fixed?

Cheers

Guest Disco Stu
Anyone had problems with the latest version of sprite backup?

I'm trying the demo v2 and it's hanging on about 90% when I try

to save to the PC :?

Yep, you're not alone on this.

I've given up on Sprite for the time being, until they release the final version of this update.

See Fozzie & Pagemakers' posts above

Guest HurricaneDave
Can someone who has updated please check something for me.

I cant play games such as Worms World Party unless I first turn off all the options on the Power Management screen because the power saving features cause the game to freeze after a few seconds.  Paul mentioned in a topic a while back this would be fixed in the update.  Can anyone confirm this has been fixed?

Cheers

i have all my power settings turned on ,, 30 second backlight and 1 minute display timeout and worms world party works fine

Guest diceman

Sorry if this has been posted already - i didn't read all 11 threads.

FYI - Just found an article showing the GPRS difference between class 8 & 10

download upload

57.6 kbit/s 14.4 kbit/s (class 8 )

43.2 kbit/s 28.8 kbit/s (class 10)

Has anyone noticd any major improvements in the upgrade - I can't decide if this is worth having to re-customize my phone.... :?

Guest diceman

I've just found a confliting doc - so i don't think it's safe to say for sure untll confirmed by Orange....

FYI - http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

Edit: It looks as though class 10 can switch btween faster upload or faster downoad as needed - so it looks the better choice - http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bgprs+...erlin.de&rnum=1

^_^

It looks as though class 10 can switch btween faster upload or faster downoad as needed - so it looks the better choice -

Yep, both class 8 and class 10 can use a maximum of 5 timeslots in a TDMA frame (TDMA frame in GSM=8 timeslots). The phone can't actually transmit and receive at the same time therefore the 5 timeslots are broken down into 4 downlink (mobile receive) and 1 uplink (mobile transmit) which is class 8.

Class 10 allows either 4 dowlink and 1 uplink OR 3 downlink and 2 uplink depending on whether you are mainly transmitting or receiving data.

Got halfway through reading the update threads and still haven't acertained the value of this update. Is the update of any value if I'm not interested in playing games or is it just a half hearted attempt by Orange to convince us they are doing something though not much. I have installed PC BIOS updates with less problems than many seem to be having running the C500 update, then those that have overcome the problems associated with this update don't seem to sure of the value of the update end product, in many cases they don't seem to know what to expect from the update. Barmy if you ask me. ](*,)

Guest Pondrew
Got halfway through reading the update threads and still haven't acertained the value of this update. Is the update of any value if I'm not interested in playing games or is it just a half hearted attempt by Orange to convince us they are doing something though not much. I have installed PC BIOS updates with less problems than many seem to be having running the C500 update, then those that have overcome the problems associated with this update don't seem to sure of the value of the update end product, in many cases they don't seem to know what to expect from the update. Barmy if you ask me.  ](*,)

Do you want to be able to send video mms?

Do you want to be able to send video mms?

No not really, I'm kind of more interested in sorting out the audio tssss and other well known bugs reported on this site hence my comment about this being a half hearted attempt by Orange/SPV at trying to make us C500 owners feel that they are doing something. Surely these companies issue new model phones for beta testing to find any problems before releasing to the public. God what was this phone like before beta testing I shudder to think :roll:

Guest aristoBrat
Surely these companies issue new model phones for beta testing to find any problems before releasing to the public. God what was this phone like before beta testing I shudder to think :roll:

If you're trying to make the point that the C500 had issues when it was released, you should go over to HowardForums and read about the MPx220 bugs people are having. :shock:

Guest MarcelA

Hello,

When I try to upgrade I get:

ERROR [294]: INVALID VENDER ID

I use a Dutch SPV C500. I tried in normal mode and canary (3 color screen) mode ...

Any suggestions ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.