C500 Update available to download from Orange UK!

Guest PaulOBrien

If you're trying to make the point that the C500 had issues when it was released, you should go over to HowardForums and read about the MPx220 bugs people are having. :shock:

Two wrongs don't make a right, I'm a firm believer that when something is sold and doesn't meet the design spec it's advertising is based on then it breaks Trading Standard regulations and is against the Trade Descriptions Act. I may appear to be a little harsh but lets face facts this phone is advertised as incorporating an MP3 player which we have the right to assume should be fully functional and it isn't. I have owned various MP3 players including a 3G Ipod none of which played back with a tsss present. Lets get real about this and forget comments like "it's a phone what do you expect" It's advertised with an MP3 player so it should work properly. I have evidence that this phone was originally advertised by Orange as incorporating an FM radio and it doesn't, plenty of people were duped by this little gem by Orange.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah...................... [Rant] If you think Orange have sold you something that contravenes the Sales of Goods law, then TAKE IT BACK and demand a refund, instead of bleating about it. But quite frankly, anyone that bought the C500 solely because they thought it had an FM radio (and didn't bother to actually check), should get the response from the retailer they deserve! [/Rant]

Blah blah blah blah blah blah...................... [Rant]If you think Orange have sold you something that contravenes the Sales of Goods law, then TAKE IT BACK and demand a refund, instead of bleating about it.  But quite frankly, anyone that bought the C500 solely because they thought it had an FM radio (and didn't bother to actually check), should get the response from the retailer they deserve! [/Rant]

I think you no read properly, FM radio one thing crap MP3 player another, an update which doesn't seem to update much and a bug list as long as your ARM. I guess some people are easily pleased. I trust you don't approach your motor with the same tolerance for malfunctions. ^_^

Guest aristoBrat
I'm a firm believer that when something is sold and doesn't meet the design spec it's advertising is based on then it breaks Trading Standard regulations and is against the Trade Descriptions Act. I may appear to be a little harsh but lets face facts this phone is advertised as incorporating an MP3 player which we have the right to assume should be fully functional and it isn't.

Actually, you don't appear harsh so much as hypocritical for not having returned your phone for a full refund (since you're so obviously upset with how it was misadvertised to you). I had thought that only certain subsets in the US carried on like this. ^_^

I guess some people are easily pleased. I trust you don't approach your motor with the same tolerance for malfunctions. ^_^

Not at all; I actually check whether the car does have an FM radio fitted before buying it. I also read reviews before buying instead of just blindly believing the advertising hype, thus making an informed decission. In this case, I chose to buy the C500 as its' plusses far outweighed its' minusses; nobody twisted my arm nor held a gun to my head.

I guess some people are more easily led than others :roll:

Hi all, is this "TSSSS.." in all machines or just a few? If a few, I suggest those few to be taken back and changed against a new working one. If all, then yes it is quite unacceptable, and I would expect a quick fix.

I did not yet use my C500 as an MP3 player, but I bought it for this function too, and I truly expect I will never hear such a "TSSSS:::"

Guest simontan1
Hello,

When I try to upgrade I get:

ERROR [294]: INVALID VENDER ID

I use a Dutch SPV C500. I tried in normal mode and canary (3 color screen) mode ...

Any suggestions ?

Marcel, let me guess, you are using a locked C500? If you look at my post above, I experienced the same error message. I have now paid the 20 squid to get it unlocked, and the ROM update worked fine. I assume that as the phone is sold locked to orange, by unlocking it, the phone has its country's origin removed, hence the UK rom will install.

OK I am soooo unsure as to what to do now. I have read posts from soo many of you, some have had no problem with the update, others are having lots of problems. I need the phone to work perfect with bluetooth, and the battery to be still as good as it is now. I am only using my SPV as a second phone at the moment, to see how it copes with everyday use, and standby usage times. So far it has been faultless, and I would like to keep it that way, but I want to know, if the update is worth doing, or just to leave well alone, all advice will be taken on board.

Guest Gav_C500

Hiya

I updated my ROM, the other day with no problems. The thing now in the messages section I only have 4 options, and pop3 is NOT one of them. I did a hard reset to see if it would help but to no avail. I use pop3 a lot from my phone and was wondering if it was just me or if Orange have removed the pop3 client from the ROM for a reason. Can anybody recomend a pop3 client as mine has gone AWOL.

Thanks for you time.

Hi all, is this "TSSSS.." in all machines or just a few?  If a few, I suggest those few to be taken back and changed against a new working one. If all, then yes it is quite unacceptable, and I would expect a quick fix.

I did not yet use my C500 as an MP3 player, but I bought it for this function too, and I truly expect I will never hear such a "TSSSS:::"

My C500 was fine in MP3 mode for the first 3 weeks then the TSS suddenly started now I can't get rid of it. If you check out the Tsss thread it seems that a major % of c500 owners eventually experience this problem. The frustrating thing is that I sold my Ipod last week because until then my C500 had proved itself as an MP3 player, now this. :?

Not at all; I actually check whether the car does have an FM radio fitted before buying it. I also read reviews before buying instead of just blindly believing the advertising hype, thus making an informed decission. In this case, I chose to buy the C500 as its' plusses far outweighed its' minusses; nobody twisted my arm nor held a gun to my head.

I guess some people are more easily led than others :roll:

Fair point but the FM radio is a minor issue as it just isn't there. What about things that are there and don't work properly as per the bug list thread and other things that develope like the Tsss noise on the MP3 player, you accept it on the phone, would you accept malfunctions on your car or house or whatever when bought new :wink: . To be fair most of us bought the phone before realising this website existed therefore weren't aware of the problems with it and had to rely on advertising and other early reviews which in the main gave it a good report but weren't aware of the bug issues. 8) I'm not sure that taking it back is an option as it's now over a month old I just hope we get a decent software update to sort things out.

Guest ablufia
"]That's right folks, the eagerly awaited C500 Update - featuring the GAPI gaming fix - is now available for download at the following Orange page:

http://web.orange.co.uk/yourphone/spvc500/...l?id=sm_1137635

There are a number of minor improvements too, including but no limited to:

P

[Edit: Chris (monolithix) spotted this on the Orange page: 'Your SPV C500's battery is fully charged.']

[Edit 2: An issue has been reported with multipress (pressing more than one key at once) - read the full thread for details]

Good advice folks!

Paul - does this mean that the C500 is "MoDaCO approved" now ? ^_^

Dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but since the upgrade im now not able to send files from my pc to phone and vice versa via Bluetooth..?

All I get now is "FTP service not found on target device" and in my scanning list when sending from phone my computer (which I'm paired to and have done a discover services) does not show.....???

Anyone else notice or have this problem?

I had something similar happening, and I thought that somehow the ID of the C500 had changed during the firmware upgrade. I unpaired the two and did the BT setup again. No problems since then...

yea I done that as well.. deleted the pairing and paired again and still nothing.

Ive tried pairing from phone and pairing from PC... still not working.. ^_^

OK, in addition to my not being able to bluetooth files form/to phone/pc, my pass thorugh option when connected to activesync has dissapeared...

1 thing I have noticed though after the update. Bluetooth seems to be working faster, ie, discovering, pairing, connecting to activesync, etc...

Seems to me they've made improvements and at the same time buggered other stuff up... big thanks to anyone that can shed a light on this??

Guest stretchie

I've had no MAJOR probs with the phone in the past 4 weeks I've had it except that I had trouble sending files over BT, even after downloading SmartExploerer from Binary. That turned out that I somehow had an old version of software not the new one, now I have that it's fine.

No 'tsssssssssss' on MP3, just the odd event with it hanging everynow and then.. I love the phone. OK it's a 386 on whizz but guys... It's a phooooone, it's 10.8cm tall, 4.6cm wide and 1.7cm deep....

I have found that it seems to be app locked after the update (ran flawlessly I add), think, 2 years ago the Samsung T100 came out, everyone was shouting about it. NOW look at your smartphones (I should be the Orange/Microsoft spokesperson)

Have you never tinkered with something? You may have fixed the original problem but caused many minor problems for other things due to a knock-on effect. I AM a newbie but as anyone who has tried making a homescreen will tell you, it takes COUNTLESS attempts to get it all right.

What more do some of you people want...

Can you dial out?? Does it still look shiniiiiiny? Do your mates with Nokia 6600's still go "COOOOOOL"???? Can you still access e-mail, internet, messenger services, sync with your PC for contact details????

It aint bug free but it's better than an 8210!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.