New Plugin: SmartMonitor 0.9.6.0 [Updated 15/11/2004]

Guest drfonz

Oops! Sorry about that! It is fixed now :lol:

By the way, are you going to let me have a look at your Homescreen? I always like to see when someone makes good use of my creations :D

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Guest nickwaring

I've instaled the plugin and it's working great.

However, when I lose signal and the phone is searching for a network the phone appears to 'lock up'. When it's found a network OK then the lock-up ends and the phone returns to normal use.

I've uninstalled the plugin and it seems it only happens when I have the signal strength bar on my home screen.

Also... on startup my phone home screen stalls when it gets to the Smartmonitor plugin.. this probably only lasts for a short time but it feels like eternity when you're wanting to make a call! Again this seems to be caused by the signal strength bar

Does anyone else find this happens

Hi Nick,

could you tell us what phone model you are using? I'll check this out, but I only have a C500 to test with, so behaviour may vary from model to model...

Thanks!

Dr Fonz

Guest TEXMudder

Did version 0.9.5.1 have any memory fixes from version 0.9.5.0? I have some plugin with a memory leak but I only have SmartMonitor and RJShortcut installed. I am currently running 0.9.5.0 and will try 0.9.5.1 tomorrow.

There were some fixes in 0.9.5.1 regarding memory usage, but I can't quite remember now whether there were memory fixes or not. I would update anyway, since it definitely fixed a few other things.

What kind of symptoms are you getting that makes you think there's a memory leak? And what phone model are you using?

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Guest TEXMudder

AudioVox SMT5600. Bascially it locks up every once in a while (maybe once every week or so). I didnt think much of it, then I read a post in the SMT5600 forum here at modaco where a few other folks had this problem. I started to watch memory in task manager and noticed it kept going up with nothing running. I did upgrade to the new version of your plugin and so far no problems.

Guest Cyberdim

I know you guys wanna put this plugin to bed, but what about the GSM band, with all the different ones (850, 900, 1800, 1900), wouldn't it be great to see which band the phone is using?

Ps: I'm not even sure if this is programatickly possible but i hope it is...

Hi guys,

I'm working on a rewrite of the phone-feature side of SmartMonitor, which will hopefully provide much better performance (hopefully no lock ups when there's no network coverage anymore) and a few more cool features...

It might be a while, because I am moving jobs soon and everything is a bit hectic at the minute. And my old boss wouldn't like me to work on anthing other that finishing what I have to do at work before I leave for good :lol:

Also, great news from Rey Vegafria, from Airfagev's fame. He's done a really cool Homescreen based on The Incredibles movie.

You can get it here.

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Incredibles.gif

I know you guys wanna put this plugin to bed, but what about the GSM band, with all the different ones (850, 900, 1800, 1900), wouldn't it be great to see which band the phone is using?

Ps: I'm not even sure if this is programatickly possible but i hope it is...

oooh... I like. I like. Also, here in the US, Cingular supresses who's network you are actually on. It always says Cingular or Cingular Extend. The ability to see who you are on as an option would be nice.

Great idea cyberdim

-Mc

Well,

this might very well the last version for a little while due to other commitments. In this new release you can look forward to:

:arrow: New tag so you can ditch the operator plugin if you don't want it...

:arrow: Massive re-write of the whole plugin internals so that everything is faster and more memory/battery efficient

:arrow: The signal strength feature is now done differently, so maybe, just maybe, the users of MP phoes might get some joy. I can't confirm this because I don't have one to test it on.

Downloads on first post.

Enjoy!

Dr Fonz

Guest mfioble

I tested the new version 0.9.6 on Mpx200 and the signal now shows ???%instead of the 0% I was getting before. Thought I would post in the interests of feedback.

Interesting!

That means that it fails one of the checks that precede the function that retrieves the signal. And that's not good... Because they are pretty funcdamental checks like "Do you have a Radio Module?" and "Are you registered with a network?"...

Dr Fonz

Guest scott2eyes

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look, but I seem to be getting the same "???%" problem on an Orange MPx200 (SP2002 ROM.)

The other change is that the meterbar is now showing permanently full; before it was showing permanently empty. (Not sure whether that's reflective of anything important, but I am in central London.)

So it looks like the MP phones just never worked... The reason for the full bar is to indicate exactly the same as ???. It means that something went wrong when retrieving the data. In previous versions, the value 0 was assumed when this happened, the new version actually tells you with a ??? that something is wrong.

Dr Fonz

Guest nickwaring

Dr,

Thanks for the update... as you suggested.. the problems with lockups appear to have gone :-)

Regarding the above posts where the signal strength indicates ???% - I too get this on the C500 but only when I put the phone into Flight Mode..

Thanks for all your efforts