Camera upgrade MPx220!!

Guest camilo

Hello everyone as you all might have heard the camera on the new mpx sucks. I got the speaker phone to work and im happy ^_^ .Now my question is any one know if there will be any type of upgrade for the camera or a better way to take pictures with the phone.Because i personally think that $350 and a advertizement of megapixl is a ripoff. I mean Im I the only one dissatisfied with the camera??? Please let me know if there is anyone else out there that would like a upgrade of the camera?

Guest pisquee

Can't see a real way of upgrading the camera hardware, though if there is a problem with the software then moto could fix it and release an update, though whether they do is another matter

Guest Godfather

ya it would be nice to see an improvement for the camera and also the internal speaker and mic. People can't hear me when I talk and I can barely hear them. $350 is very steap but I paid $500 since I don't have cingular, for a phone that just sucks. I think I will be returning it and getting the Audiovox SMT 5600 instead, even though I hate open face phones. :x Damn motorola, you could have done better.

Guest MotoBaller

i have had my mpx220 for like 2 weeks and I enjoy it the camera I got great pictures with it, but I fiddleed with the contrast and the settings alittle bit to get quality...

it's still better than the C500.  

READ THIS: http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.ph...ion=expand,6578  

It shows comparison shots as well as quality indoor pics taken with the MPx220. I've used both. The 220 rules the C500.  

mchale you can't be seriouse. taking an hour to find out how to make a picture? sticking a finger in your ear, switching of bluetooth (but just for 13 seconds) and waiting for the wind to blow from south east before you can shot the picture? the only ruling of the mpx220 is the number of unfixed and never-will-be-fixed bugs! if you take 5 minutes with the c500 you will make much much better pics than the one you see there. if you don't believe it just click on the picture in my signature (oh yes it looks funny here but that was a funshot at the octoberfest;-)).

and whats even more disturbing: motorola never offered a rom upgrade for the mpx200. and there is no way they will offer one for the mpx220 home user. still and ever a strong DON'T BUY for the mpx220!

cheers, lutz

lutzh, of course you know first hand that there won't be a ROM upgrade? Who from Motorola told you that?

1st: The c500 (and all it's variants) feels like a cheap toy in comparison.

2nd: Orange are notorius for pushing out products before testing it. How many people on here had an MPx220 before it was released that was a pre-production unit? How many had the c500 before it was released?

3rd: It's called a learning curve. Some people it takes longer than others. Hey results are results. THe MPx220 has a greater resolution as well as takes better pics than the c500. I know you refuse to believe it, so don't. Of course, you also haven't had the commercially released MPx220 to compare side by side either.

4th: There a HUGE thread on c500 bugs on here. That appeared immediately. Wil you kindly explain all the bugs you have found on the production MPx220? What? You don't have one? You don't know of any?

5th: Nokia (the number one cell maker in the world) doesn't provide FW updates to the user either. So maybe Motorola is taking a queue from them (instead of Orange). If the problem is serious enough, send it in. Because of bug testing with pre-production units, this probably won't be necessary. Orange would die if they took this approach.

So even though you haven't touched a production unit, you still bash it. According to PPCW, the pre-production units were operating on different HW as well as SW. And if I remember right, you were one that had the pre-production units?

I have an MPx220 and have personally compared it to the c500 stuff. The MPx220 is better. That link says the same thing (also another guy that has the production unit). We have more credibility in this case. You don't have one and obviously have no plans on getting one.

I won't even get into the stuff that the MPx220 has that the c500 doesn't (like File Viewer, quad-band, etc).

-Mc

i think it is ok. it looks like you like your phone and thats ok. i did not like it and i see much more bugs in the mpx220 than in the sda/c500. but its always a question of taste, of needs and anyway.

cheers, lutz

Lutzh, I'm dissapointed. I know you to be one of the more knowledgable members of this board, and I'm sure you realize that it would be foolish to ASSUME that moto will never release a rom upgrade for the mpx220. I also am in complete agreement with Mchale. How do you see more bugs in the 220 if you don't have one. I realize you do not prefer a clamshell phone, and you are partial to orange, but coming on a mpx220 board to express your disgust with it is unwarented and unappreciated. We do not "bash" the c500 for it's problems, and we would be gratious if you would show us the same respect. It's much more productive. ^_^

Don't worry, I still love ya!

just a short shot on this to finish this conversation: there are 75 heavy bugs in the mpx220 (from formerly more than 3000) that motorola is aware of and not able to fix. you know how much bugs the c500 has, i mean the figures? if so come back here and let me know. ok?

it has absolutely nothing to do with clamshell or candybar. it is simply a fact that the mpx220 will never make it to a bigger carrier - at least not in europe. guess why. i know why.

but as i said before: if you like it and you are happy with it i am absolutely fine with it. i would not buy another mpx220 and i strongly advise anybody else not to do it. no way you change this except for a motorola mpx220 rom upgrade. history speaks a clear language: there has never ben an update for the mpx200, there never will be one for costumers of the mpx220. but if you say you are happy with it then there is no need for an update at all, right?

again- if you like it the way it is then just ignore my unexperienced mind.

cheers, lutz

75 bugs? Not being a jerk here... this is the first I've heard of it. I haven't heard of *any* bugs. And seriously, if they never did a FW upgrade, I'd be completely happy.

But it's not fair to say that Motorola doesn't do FW upgrades. They *DID* a 2003 upgrade for the MPx200 but couldn't release it due to AT&T policies (at least here in the US). They do have a history of fixing problems. Remember the v600 problems? They gave everyone with one a v400 to use while they reflashed the v600 to the latest FW. Many got brand new phones and not reflashed ones.

How much you wanna bet that MPx220 will make it to a big carrier (apparently Cingular, the largest carrier in the US isn't good enough with it's 46 million subscribers)? The MPx220 will outsell all versions of the c500 very quickly. Motorola has a reputation of quality and innovation. They have a reputation of reliability and features. And this is the best phone in the cellular market anywhere.

Have you played with a production model? Bangelboy (Howard Forums' fame) said it was by far the best phone he'd ever used and it would become his primary phone as soon as it was released. This is coming from a guy who has EVERY phone out. He must have a direct line to Bill Gates or something...

Seriously, I have the MPx220 production model. I have found no shortcomings or bugs. It does more than the c500 does. It doesn't suffer any of the bugs the c500 still has even with it's latest FW release. At least Motorola put it's miniSD slot on the outside of the phone so you can swap cards without removing the battery cover and the battery. That was just dumb (unless you only plan on owning one miniSD card - then it really is a feature).

On the technical side, I have disassembled nearly every FW Motorola has ever released for hacking purposes and I can say that their SW is top shelf. I have witnessed the progression of their code and features. And yes, if they don't release a single FW upgrade, I would have no complaints. Can you say that about the c500 with it's original FW? I doubt it. I've read your complaints in the c500 section.

-Mc

p.s. This is no disrespect to you. I think you know your MS Smartphone stuff very well. I've read your posts and scanned some of your xml code. You're not dumb. All I'm saying is today's MPx220 isn't what the pre-production one was... not even close.

Guest VapoTrini

What is the big difference, McHale? As far as I recall, everything people are complaining about is what Lutzh's review eluded to. Honestly, you are starting to come of like a representitive of Motorola doing damage control.

Motorola has a reputation of quality and innovation. They have a reputation of reliability and features. And this is the best phone in the cellular market anywhere.

Thanks, that almost made me spit out my coke from laughing so hard. I guess the V600 is another sterling example of how good Motorola can make phones. Never ever have I seen a phone with so many problems.

Motorola = Great ideas, terrible execution.

Lutz-

Out of curiosity, do you have a list of the 75 "heavy bugs" in the 220? I would like to see what they are, honestly, not to mention verify that as a credible argument rather than a fallacy. Until proven with a verifiable source, not one person on this board should have the arrogance to deem their preferred unit the most bug free, or the best; myself included. I do not personally comment on the c500, because I do not OWN one. Is it my understanding that you don't have a figure for the know bugs identified in the c500? If this is correct, why do you assume it is a lesser number than the ones found in the 220? Holes holes everywhere... ^_^

Also as Mchale pointed out, the update did exist for the mpx200. I know you are aware of that. At&t prevented it's release for various reasons, partly because of the looming mpx220. Both you and I understand that both phones have their respective bugs, as all handsets do. That isn't really a fair way to evaluate it's value and importance.

Let me reiterate: I'm sure we all respect each other, but in order to have an honest debate and not mislead the uninformed, let's not substantiate claims without due proof.

yes i think we should respect each others point of view in this. and i very much respect your standing regarding the mpx220. but i see it different and i see it different for the objectives that i have. sorry but i cant share my documents and i am really really not allowed to do so! but even if i could - would it change anything for you? no! and it shouldnt! so let each other love his phone and wave the flag for it, ok?

i will listen to your words even more effective if you could point me in the right direction in following points:

- is it possible to have bluetooth enabled 24-7 and make it with one charging circle for three days?

- is it possible to see missed calls or messages or even if you have network coverage on the outer display without touching the phone?

- is it possible to see anything on screen when you are out in the sun?

- is it possible to pickup mails automatically every 15 minutes and making it over at least two days with one charging circle?

if thats possible or at least better then it was then the mpx220 gets a step closer to the c500 or the sda.

regarding the file viewer: the sda comes with the full version of clearview so it is equipped as good as the mpx220.

see i really would love to buy the mpx220, i was super enthusiastic about it and got super disapointed when i had it. because of my first class contacts i am at least perfectly informed about the improvements that this phone made since i had it. i am very hopeful that motorola will do something with it before it comes to o2 in 2005 but i am not sure that it will happen. if we would have eaten everything from htc like this we would still be very p!ssed with the phones in our pockets - do you understand? i only want to see improvements of the plattform, since you all know that i am very engaged with it. thats why i point my fingers on it, not to disrespect you!

peace now? i hope so.

cheers, lutz

sharing your sources would not likely change my mind, but I do find it necessary to keep my knowledge base up.

In answer of your queries:

-...tough to say, haven't tried. I charge every night at the very least. I do believe it's possible if you don't use the phone very much, however for me that isn't a necessary function (It may very well be important to you)

-Yes and no. Yes you can see it if it's charging; but if not, you simply tap any exterior button.

-Yes very much. I find it much brighter and less washed out than my old 200.

-Don't know that either for sure, I only use the email function over activesync, in which case the phone is charging from the usb. (all but given up on BT activesync, one of my few frustrations along with the java app)

Guest Underdog_2k

Admitting your wrong is really difficult for a lot of people, having an open mind and the ability to change your opinion is no crime. ^_^

Never had a mpx220 nor the c500 but I do have numerous motorola phones and when de classic mpx came out I did wanted to buy it. But luckily a friend bought it before me and found out it really sucked when the excitement of a new buy left. Also have a friend working at orange telling me al the Sh** people came to complain about :roll:

Conclusion: Orange bring out good phones on paper, only problem is they're made really crappy, with some obvious design flaws.

moto produces quality in design (matter of taste) and in engineering.

But I have an open mind and (without comparing bugs :D ) and I did look at the c500, but the mpx220 just looks darn great :lol:.

I'm glad to see that numerous sites are praising the mpx220.

It's easy to say that the mpx is full of bugs could be so but I don't mind having any minor bugs. If you want a good camera buy a real one don't expect a phone to replace the digicam. All I hear is about the crappy cam. quality : WHAT about the speed of the mpx? isn't it faster then most other Smartphones out there? name one big mpx220 flaw.

The biggest flaw on the c500 is it's look :P never heard someone say damn that phone looks good...

greetings from holland :lol: :P

To be quite honest, motorola's track record is beginning to fade. They do in fact have problems with one of the 700 series phones (i believe it's the v710) and are recalling an unspecified number of them. It seems the Razor v3 might be suffering the same fate, and we all know about the development problems with the upcoming mpx. Hopefully they see the wakeup call soon, you cant stay the number 2 handset company with crap equipment. I pray it doesn't get to that point.

Guest Pondrew

I haven't got the MPX220. Nor have I got the C500 or any derivative.

I want a phone that's small, lasts more then 3 days standby, and has a camera that is quick and easy to use.

C500? Or MPX220?

I've heard that the MPX220 gives the impression of being smaller then the MPX200. Sorry, I need more then that.

I've heard of standby on the C500 of a good 5 days. No ones suggested anything like that on the MPX220 (or if they have then I missed it).

Seems the C500 is quick and easy to use for pics. That doesn't seem to be the impression posts about the MPX220 camera have given. Is that wrong? Why? And please don't point to instructions on how to get the most of the hardware, it's 1.3meg isn't it? Why would I have to work for a good pic?!

Which will I buy? Neither, as I've decided to wait (more then likely for a HTC Typhoon derivative) but on current form would I buy an MPX220? Not a chance.

Oh, by the way, I'd take historical evidence as to the unlikelihood of a Motorola SMARTPHONE update reaching any provider over suggestions that they 'might', anyday. Please don't respond with Orange supporting the SPV as a bad thing because I don't think many people will agree...

EDIT: I should point out at this point that should battery life and quick use of camera not be an issue then the MPX220 is very VERY attractive. And yes, I am aware that the MPX220 is faster then the C500 (cool!)

Guest Underdog_2k
To be quite honest, motorola's track record is beginning to fade.

True but in comparison with orange, they where crappy from the start and gave disappointing phones on every release. Moto used to be the top selling company here in europe now their not even second. But they do learn from their mistakes, a whole range of new phones are due to come out this month, some with nice features. ^_^ I'm no expert in smartphones, or have an understanding of all the problems. I'm like any other consumer, looking for a great phone and the c500 just isn't it. the t630 is a really crappy phone :P Fuc***up menu, BAD camera, but it looks great, and there for it sells great. From what I've heard the Mpx220 is made with great components and materials, and looks great.

@pondrew:

The instrucions only state how to set up your phone it might take an hour but when u've done it, you can get great photo's. You don't need to to it EVERy time :D I can't get a standy time greater than 24 hours (I just call to much) with ANY phone. Even with my pocketpc I don't get a standby time greater then 48 hours. so for me it isn't a big deal, But 5 days with the c500 :?: You can get the same results if you don't use your mpx220.

You have to be really lonely to get such a result on your phone :? :P

edit:

They will release it in europe a whole month later then in the US, first let's c if it's the same phone :lol:

Guest Pondrew

I'm still not sure how good the C500 battery life is (still got the E200 me, must say though that battery life with that is much better since the latest update). I'm just impressed that the SPV no longer has poor battery life associated with it (although a couple of recent threads popping up makes me wonder how long the battery lasts...)

I can understand loving the MPX220s speed and technology. Just a shame that (presumably) the 256k screen has resulted in a battery life little better then the MPX200.

As far as I'm concerned, the more Smartphones the better, just wish the MPX100 had seen the light of day... :cry:

Guest Underdog_2k
I'm still not sure how good the C500 battery life is (still got the E200 me, must say though that battery life with that is much better since the latest update). I'm just impressed that the SPV no longer has poor battery life associated with it (although a couple of recent threads popping up makes me wonder how long the battery lasts...)

I can understand loving the MPX220s speed and technology. Just a shame that (presumably) the 256k screen has resulted in a battery life little better then the MPX200.

As far as I'm concerned, the more Smartphones the better, just wish the MPX100 had seen the light of day...  :cry:

Here in the netherlands they're selling the mitac mio 8870 the mpx100 look alike, has a 200mhz xscale cpu, no bluetooth.

8870_8.JPG

But first let's c what the mpx220 will be like here in europe, I do belief they'll give an updated version out here in europe.

Yea I hear someone talking about the mic, I mean sometimes I just want to drop the phone because no one can hear me :x , and sometimes I just want to make the hole bigger so they do hear me :wink: . Is there any way to make the mic more sensitive? and is there another phone that has the same features the mpx220 has and its clamshell? I still got a week to make up my mind so please let me know i payed $350 and i could probably spend it on something else. But don't get me wrong Im completely in love with my mpx200 ^_^ its a great phone never had a problem with it too bad its not with me :D

when i encountered the mic problem, i exchanged it for another one and i've had no complaints from others not being able to hear me. the volume also appears better relative to my first two phones...doesn't mean, however, that it can't be louder (the volume).

Two great ideas thanks guys!! first I will try to exchange the phone maybe its defective and yes bluetooth just might be my only solution. I don't know if any one else is having problems with the mic but I for sure Im.