Floating ad banner

Guest amo

Is this supposed to be floating? Its really interfering with the way I browse the site when I log on. The fact that it follows me as I scroll down the page isnt going to increase the chance of me clicking on it as i'd have clicked it when I first saw it if I wanted to.

Bit of a negative in my opinion for the site :?

Guest Paul [MVP]

Yes, the ad IS supposed to be floating ;-)

The idea is simple, post it like this for a couple of days, see how it affects the Click Through Ratio.

There are a couple of things I have considered - of which the floating ad is one - including a tower banner on the left or right, or banners at the end of the topics.

Any thoughts on what would be most effective but least intrusive welcomed!

P

PS Plus members should not be seeing the floating ad, please PM me if you are.

Guest Skunkchild

It's very annoying but I guess it might motivate me to sign up for plus membership, which may be part of the agenda.

Anyway, if it stays can it float at the bottom of the screen rather than obscuring the threads we're trying to follow.

Guest shadamehr
I have to admit I find it really annoying! Why do we have to have it anywhere, or am I missing something?

Er because this site consumes a huge amiunt of bandwidth, and thus costs a LOT to maintain...?

Hence the Plus subscriptions which help cover the cost, and therefore don't show ads, or the ads for financial support for those menmbers who don't wish to join Modaco plus...

Guest pisquee

Luckily I am Plus!

Sites which have floating and appearing ads, are more annoying than ones with pop-ups. I totally understand the need for creating revenue on the site, but i think in a way which is not annoying to the sites users would be preferable. You do not want to have people leave the community through the frustration of intrusive advertsiing techniques, or to scare potential newbies away. The advertisers want people to look at and consider their adverts, and not be annoyed by them. Adverts at the sides, top and/or bottom are fine, but not ones which get in the way of what people are trying to read. How about having ads mid page, in the space where a reply to a topic would go - slightly intrusive, yes, but not really annoying, means lots of potential customers' eyes will have to travel through the ad, which is surely what the advertisers want.

Guest cybercamel

I understand the need for ads to support the site. What I don't understand is for the need for them to be in our faces all the time. I find it intrusive and annoying. Pisquee said it all in post and his idea re the reply page is a good one.

Paul, much better having a banner at the bottom of the site instead of the floating ad. May I suggest better ads instead of the ones being used currently? At the moment the chances of me clicking on an ad that supplies me with "Shopping Deals", "Asian Integrated Media" and "Doubler with integrity". Perhaps if the ads were for products more relevant to the content would encourage click throughs.

Guest Paul [MVP]

The ads are what Google provide ;-)

Interestingly, when I had the floating ads on the click rate increased MASSIVELY, will be interesting to see what happens with the new layout!

P