MiTAC Mio 8870 Announced

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Cheers to Antal van Wik for the heads up!

Announcing... the MiTAC Mio 8870 Smartphone!

Also known as the Sagem My-S7, the Mio 8870 features Windows Mobile 2003 AND... Windows Media Player 10!

Specs (from Antal) are as follows:

Intel xScale PXA262 (Dalhart) 200Mhz CPU which is capable at running 300Mhz speeds.

65k colors 176*220 pixel TFT screen with adjustable brightness. Screen is rather good and clear.

64MB memory: 32 MB ram / 32 MB storage

SD/MMC card slot hot swappable

VGA camera with unlimited video record function. (176x144)

JAVA

Will be available this month or next month. As this is called a real Smartphone suited for gaming it comes with several games installed. I tried several games on it & no GAPI probles at all like Orange SPV C500 / iMate SP3.

No Bluetooth!!

No word on availability yet outside Benelux... but watch this space for further updates!

P

8870_8.JPG

Hi Paul, thanks for placing the news item that fast - like the device itself! I didn't know anything about pricing but I think it wil be similair to Mio 8390, 250 GBP without contract?

Yes its very small a bit larger than the SPV C500 but its very close. The 8870 feels very compact. By the way the 8860, the dual color LCD clamshell phone from Mio is cancelled, but the 8870 isn't a succesor to the 8390, more its alternative ^_^

No bluetooth. Hardware is the same as the Sagem MY-S7 which lacks bluetooth to. It's very hard to convenience the pros of bluetooth to Mitac people! :D

Antal van Wijk

Guest r1c4rd0

good work by mitac, but i think HTC mades the better work than mitac on the phones, and HTC put avalible updates for smartphones and mitac rarely made it. I should have the XphoneII the HTC Feeler (sp3i) in my hands, for me its the better smartphone i found, HTC transmit security on smartphone and good mobiles for ex: HTC Feeler (sp3i).

Here's our review of the Sagem My S-7 which is the same device: http://www.msmobilenews.com/?cid=588

The Sagem has an 8-way navigation-stick so this should too which is good news, having held the device at the Orange Code Camp I can however confirm that it is a bit thick, something that doesn't show up on the photos and the build quality and plastic used feels cheaper than the c500. No Bluetooth is a shame too but it could be a good gaming device for non-Bluetooth games (when they get released!).

I know its quite thick, a bit like the Sendo X. I made more than ten photos of it but only one is showed up here ^_^ please Paul, post the others for me.

Guest Pondrew
You might want to check the mitac forum before throwing a celebration over more of their junk.

I didn't say I'd be getting it. Seems I'm with the majority here in considering the Xphone II/SP3i/SDA most likely to be my next phone.

• 3 months later...
Guest megahead34

On gsmarena, they say that the Mio 8870 has Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE. DOes this mean that there won't be any problems using a SD WiFi card in it? Thanks.

:lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.