Scrolling appointment plug in

Guest sullivanpt

All seems well so far with version 1.6! :lol: No lock ups, and scrolling seems much smoother - but there is still a big delay on scrolling on first loading up of the plugin. It displays the advert for ages, and the screen seems to lock up, but then starts scrolling.

Apart from that though its starting to come together. Just really needs x & y values & colour settings for the text. Oh yeah, and the background image is still using white transparency. If you could add the transparency colour intot he xml it would be nice! :wink:

... but there is still a big delay on scrolling on first loading up of the plugin.  It displays the advert for ages, and the screen seems to lock up, but then starts scrolling.

Are you sure the screen locks up? I get the 'advert' only for about 30 secs then normal scrolling starts. The homescreen isn't locked up or anything like that. I'm sure this behaviour is probably by design ;) I personally like this is ok, as I like to know what version I am running, on startup :lol:

@sullivanpt - I see what you mean about the creation of recurring appointments. I just created a daily one for the next week and only the first one shows up on the plugin; I thought I was going mad before because I was only testing with a yearly one before :D

v1.6 has now been running all night without freezing, but without RJtasks loaded. I was also thinking that it may be something to do with both plugins accessing the same database at the same time and conflicting but as you say, it doesn't explain why v1.5 freezes up without RJtasks; perhaps there are two seperate issues? Just for info, I have used another plugin in the past (which scrolled appointments), alongside RJtasks, without any freezing.

Any more thoughts about implementing a 'ignore days ahead but show next x number of appointments' feature? :D

Keep up the good work.

Well, no the homescreen doesn't freeze up - it's just a long delay ... but if thats just a 'feature' of the advert, then that it would be good if that could be changed. Or at least moved on by manually scrolling on.

Mine seems to be fine too. No lockups throught the night! :lol: It seems stable.

Just the xml formatting needing looked at now.

Guest sullivanpt
Just really needs x & y values & colour settings for the text.

v1.5/v1.6 is coded to understand XML like

But I admit, I haven't tested it yet -- still struggling with the recurring appointments!

So if I can summarize what I think is was the consensus here:

C500 + v1.1 to v1.5 == lockups

C500 + v1.6 + RJTasks == lockups

Other combinations of hardware and/or versions are working okay for everyone?

My plan is to take care of the minor issues first, transparency, no banner, x & y, long delay on banner first, then tackle the battery life, and then finally get back to the recurring appointment/lockup issue. I'll release interim stuff along the way.

Now it's Monday, off to my other job *sigh*...

Thanks again for your help! :lol:

Guest dupasquier

After 72 hours of use, no bugs to report, the pluging works perfectly! No excessive battery drainage, no screen locks (I don't use RJTasks).

I have version 1.4 with MPX 220.

Again, thank you for creating this excellent plugin.

Guest sullivanpt

But I admit, I haven't tested it yet -- still struggling with the recurring appointments!

Okay, I tested the following and it worked on v1.5/v1.6.

But as you know, there's about a hundred different way to skin the XML layout cat. I'll probably need a specific XML sample to figure out more about the combinations of x & y values that aren't working. Can you post one?

Thanks!

Patrick

Ok m8 - here is a sample of code which I have working! The x,y values are all OK, and the alignment is fine. I added selected & unselected states so that the colour can be specified between them.

Really all that remains from my perspective is the image transparency, and the delay time on scrolling. Did I see you mention adding an option to stop the automatic scrolling altogether? OR has that been implemented & I missed it?

<!-- Scrolling Appointments -->

<plugin clsid="{1BC4FD2C-5B25-4f34-A4A8-58915667BF3D}" name="appointments" height="29" 

scroll-timer="20" scroll-speed="2000" scroll-days="14" launch="calendar.lnk" > 

<format padding-bottom="2" x="1" y="-2" font-face="Nina" font-size="12" font-weight="normal" /> 

<format state="selected" font-face="Nina" font-size="12" font-weight="normal" /> 

<background> 

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" /> 

</background> 

<label> 

<format state="noevent" visible="true" />  

<text>No upcoming appointments</text> 

</label>

<label x="0" y="0" halign="left" > 

<format state="unselected" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#000000" />

<text><time/></text> 

</label> 

<label x="0" y="18" halign="center" >

<text><subject/></text> 

</label> 

<label x="90" y="0" halign="left" > 

<text><location/></text> 

</label> 

</plugin>

Guest sullivanpt
 Did I see you mention adding an option to stop the automatic scrolling altogether?  OR has that been implemented & I missed it?

I think you mean this feature?

- The scroll-speed attribute gives how to fast (approximately in milli-seconds) to scroll through the appointments in auto-scroll mode. Set this to 0 to disable auto-scroll. The default is 2000 milli-seconds (2 seconds per appointment).

I'm preparing the next release. No big changes: no transparency color, shorter "advertisement", option for no advertisement, option to show next appointment far in the future instead of "No upcoming appointments." I'm currently working on the battery life, and RemyJ graciously gave me a copy of RJTasks that runs under my debugger, so I can investigate that further.

That's all for now. Thanks for all the help :lol:

Patrick

I think you mean this feature?  

- The scroll-speed attribute gives how to fast (approximately in milli-seconds) to scroll through the appointments in auto-scroll mode. Set this to 0 to disable auto-scroll. The default is 2000 milli-seconds (2 seconds per appointment).  

:oops: oh, yes ... thats it! Apologies, I should have read the posts more thoroughly!

Whatever may be happening with the RJTasks plugin is not happening with RJshortcuts, just in case you wanted to know. I'm running the appts plugin alongside that, oxios tasks, and bits of the orange e200 plugin. Everything seems to be fine.

Guest coolandfast

i'm still running version 1.4 without any problems on my spv c500.

there seems a lot of development and testing regarding formatting going on.

i would like to know, if with the current version it is possible to define the sequence how certain fields are displayed. i would like to change the current display of appointments

from

[appointment] [time] [date (where appropriate)]

to

[date (where appropriate)] [time] [appointment]

since i'm not a xml-expert i would be happy if the fields are displayed in this order just one after each other separated by a space or some text marker like '-'. this would make sure, i do not have to play around with xml.

i understand that this may not be good enough for others...

Guest sullivanpt

cool&fast, I'll be sending an updated full version out tomorrow (I want to test it just a little bit more). In this you will be able to get the display you desire. v1.4 does not have a customizable display.

Patrick

Guest coolandfast
cool&fast, I'll be sending an updated full version out tomorrow (I want to test it just a little bit more).  In this you will be able to get the display you desire.  v1.4 does not have a customizable display.

this is fantastic. i'm looking forward to get the new version...

patrick, you are doing a great job!

Guest coolandfast

has anyone received the new version. i'm just asking because the last version i received was 1.4.

will the new version send by mail or has one to download it from handango?

greetings.

Guest sullivanpt
has anyone received the new version. i'm just asking because the last version i received was 1.4.

will the new version send by mail or has one to download it from handango?

It will come by e-mail. But not just yet, I'm still finishing breakfast... :lol:

Guest coolandfast

i got the new version 1.7 this morning. thank you patrick.

i installed the new plugin and started formatting... i found no way to format the xml in a way, showing multiline appointments (text does not fit on one line) on more than one line. this means my long appointments are not displayed in full lenght.

i have enclosed to pic of this:

- version 1.4

- version 1.7 (cutting the end of the appointment)

- version 1.4 modifyed (thats what i like to have)

what am i doing wrong? or is it with version 1.7 not possible?

i also find that separating fields with a character like

[time], [subject]

will display all day events like birthdays this way:

, birthday dad

so for me right now is back to version 1.4 :lol:

1.7.jpg

1.4.jpg

1.4new.jpg

i have installed version 1.7. everything is working fine although to align text where i want it i'm having to use minus y values. not a big deal really since it is working. also, is the background image transparency fixed? i've got a white image over a white background so i cant tell!? Posted from my SmartPhone!

i have installed version 1.7. everything is working fine although to align text where i want it i'm having to use minus y values. not a big deal really since it is working. also, is the background image transparency fixed? i've got a white image over a white background so i cant tell!? Posted from my SmartPhone!

EDIT : I have also noticed that on startup, the plugin scrolls very quickly through all the appointments in my list, before settling at the start. I have set the scroll time to 0. Again. not a big deal & not affecting use of the plugin, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

i got the new version 1.7 this morning. thank you patrick.

i installed the new plugin and started formatting... i found no way to format the xml in a way, showing multiline appointments (text does not fit on one line) on more than one line. this means my long appointments are not displayed in full lenght.

i have enclosed to pic of this:

- version 1.4

- version 1.7 (cutting the end of the appointment)

- version 1.4 modifyed (thats what i like to have)

[time], [subject]

, birthday dad

so for me right now is back to version 1.4  :lol:

Would you be able to post up the code for the homescreen you made looks good,Thanks

Guest sullivanpt

[time], [subject]

, birthday dad

Proof that a picture is worth a thousand words. I think I get it now.

A question about the comma, I don't see one in your "would like to have" photo. It's certainly easier to not have smart text like commas that disappear when the date is hidden. But I don't mind the challenge either way.

P.S. awesome home screen photo!

Guest sullivanpt

yes, there is no longer a transparent color in the background.

EDIT : I have also noticed that on startup, the plugin scrolls very quickly through all the appointments in my list, before settling at the start.  I have set the scroll time to 0.  Again. not a big deal & not affecting use of the plugin, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Thank you. I didn't think of that combination when I shortened the "advertisement" display.

Edit: Can you and mean example of negative X, Y alignment values?