Upgrading RAM

Guest mike-oh

Guest mike-oh

Hello all. I have two sticks of 256MB of Dual Channel DDR2 @400Mhz. I'd like to add a bit more in the not too distant future but i was wondering....

Does RAM still have to added in even numbers of sticks? I remember the (not so) good old days when if you wanted to upgrage from 64Mb (2x32) you'd have to stick in another 2x32mb. Is that still the case, ie would i have to stick in another 2x256 or could i plonk in one stick of 512Mb to give me a gig?

I know someone one this forum will know the answer ^_^

Guest beersoft

and as always get as much as the pocket can afford

xp flys with 1.5 gig :lol:

and how many of you guys remember when you had to have 4 sims of the same size in?

later

Owen

having flashbacks of paying £130 for 4 meg

Guest mike-oh
I assume you know that the RAM should be the same speed as the existing RAM i.e. 400MHz

Yes, though you can get faster but it's pointless as it would only run at the speed of the slower stuff.

Guest element

Yes, though you can get faster but it's pointless as it would only run at the speed of the slower stuff.

Yeah... just thought i'd mention it, only cos of a bad experience I had a few years ago...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Someone sold me 2x64's instead of 2x32's by mistake once, i was well chuffed until i found out how hard it was to find a SIMM-based board that could handle that much memory!

Guest siu99spj

I remember when two BLOCKS of 256K was a luxury.

And a CGA (4 colors, 320x240) video card with 256K of RAM was bigger than some computers are nowadays! It was huge.

But then again, so was the steel cased PC...