SecureInfo - Beta Test

Guest PolleSoftware

Guest PolleSoftware

Hey SmartPhone users,

I am looking for beta-testers for SecureInfo, which is a small utility for storing sensitive information on the SmartPhone.

I know there is a number of utilities out there, which already do this, but the intention is to make SecureInfo free in its base-version - which is the one now open for testing.

A more advanced version including PC- and server-synchronization might come up in the future - if "by popular demand"...

Interested? Then just read on below...

Best regards,

Polle Software - Lars Peter

Beta test

The Beta-test will run for the next month, ending on 12th December 2004, on which date the beta-version also will expire, or a shorter/longer period depending on the outcome of the test :-)

If you would like to take part in the beta-test, just download the program (download-links further down) and start using it. Please do not use the program for mission-critical information, as it still is BETA...

Bug reports is of course one of the greatly appreciated feedbacks. But, comments on User Interface and feature suggestions are also very welcome. Comments on security model - indeed!

You can report back either via this thread - or via e-mail to SecureInfo(at)polle.com.

Description of SecureInfo

SecureInfo stores your sensitive information in a safe place - always at hand - protected by a single password.

After entering and confirming your password, you will be able to add, edit and remove pieces of sensitive information, which will be stored using strong 192 bit TripleDES encryption.

Advanced features include monitoring failed "Log In" attempts and "Application Lock Out" whenever too many unsuccesfull attempts have occured. These settings are fully customizable within the application.

From the security perspective, TripleDES keys are using random byte padding for added security of your password. Further, your password is stored using inreversible MD5 hashing algorithm, meaning not even the makers of SecureInfo is capable of getting your password. Finally a 2 minute inactivity Auto Log Out timer makes sure SecureInfo does not just "keep running" in the background of your phone.

Requirements for the Beta-version of SecureInfo

* SmartPhone 2003 Second Edition

* Unlocked Phone

* 300 Kb of storage space

Download

Download SecureInfo for PC install (.exe)

Download SecureInfo for SmartPhone install (.cab)

Web-site: www.polle.com

Guest NIGHTMARE

i like it, nice and simple vew, it woul be good if you could create folders tho to organise your data. needs a icon 2. apart from that it seems to be all good.

Guest PolleSoftware

Thank you for your input, Nightmare.

I will keep the folder feature in mind - I am not sure whether it will make it into the freeware product...

The icon is now also associated with the program - and not only the installation (embarrasing!)

A version 0.2 is available for download at the previous mentioned URLs, which, in addition to the icon-fix, includes:

1) Correct setting of InputMode, so when entering passwords it is set to "abc", when entering information it is set to "t9" and when entering numbers in Settings it is set to "123".

2) A minor bug is corrected, which resulted in "ugly" exit of program, if Log In Lock Out was on.

Best regards,

Guest SolidTechie

First attempt - I got a message SecureInfo.cab failed to install on your device.

This is using the setup.exe.

I then turned off the keypad, re-tried and it installed. I'm afraid I don't know if it's a bug or a design feature of the OS.

Guest PolleSoftware

Ian, thank you for your test!

I've not experienced the install-problem myself, despite of about 50 installs, but that's pretty much the way it usually is - no probs at the developer :-)

Could you confirm this is the exact way you went through installing SecureInfo - just to make 100% sure I'm hunting the right ghost:

1) You downloaded the SecureInfo.exe

2) Ran the SecureInfo.exe from the PC

3) Got the install error

4) Restarted your phone

5) Reran the SecureInfo.exe installation from the PC - and it worked

And finally; what phone are you using?

Thanks again for helping out testing SecureInfo!

Best regards,

Guest PolleSoftware

A new version, 0.4, is released for download through the previous mentioned links.

Fixes are:

1) Correct setting of retention period when too many unsuccesfull log ins

2) Minor UI/text enhancements

Best regards,

Guest NIGHTMARE

:wink: This program would be really usefull for me and i would use it a lot if only i could make folders within it, this program is great but i could not use it with no organisation, say you put 100 different items within the program, it will take a little too long to find items that i cant remeber quite what i named, i hope that makes sence.

So please please add folders and make this worth the effort it must have taken to develop it.

one minor thing i better mention, on my c500 it takes 10-15 seconds from clicking on the icon to the point where i can enter the password, is their any chance this could be reduced or a autologin option to be added(so you password is remembered so you dont have to type it in again. their would have to be a option in the to switch this on and off.

Just a couple of ideas :wink:

keep up the great work - SecureInfo

Guest PolleSoftware

Nightmare,

Obviously, I am a sucker for persons who asks nice - you've got your folders :-)

The new version 0.5 is available at the previous mentioned download URLs.

About the loading time, I'm afraid there's not much to do. A "blank" .NET application takes 5-6 seconds to load. The added time for SecureInfo is due to loading of XML-file, decrypting of Config-section - all neccessary to display the proper startup-screen (whether your account is locked out, an account has to be created and so on). Sorry - it is pretty much the price for that kind of security...

About auto-login, I am a bit worried it will be too big a security issue, since all your sensitive information suddenly is open to everyone using your phone. As for now, I will not look further into implementing it...

Keep letting comments, inputs and bug-reports coming!

Best regards,

Guest I. C. Monsters

I have just installed the cab version of SecureInfo on my app unlocked C500. It installed with no problems, but when attempting to run the app I get the following error each time. I have restarted the phone since installing also.

Error

An unexpected error has occured in SecureInfo.exe. Select Quit and then restart this program, or select Details for more information.

Details shows this:

Error

SecureInfo.exe

FileNotFoundException

__Error::WinIOError+0x60

FileStream::.ctor+0xee

FileStream::.ctor+0x1d

frmMain::frmMain_Load+0x...

Form::onload+0x15

Form::_SetVisibleNotify+0x...

Control::set_Visible+0x1f

Application::Run+0x7

modMain::ShowMain+0x1d

modMain::Main+0x84

The above error I copied from the screen as it was displayed. The lines with '...' at the end seem to run off the edge of the screen. I don't know if this is of any relevance, but the program seems to be automatically quitting itself after a couple of minutes, as it believe it is designed to.

I hope this is useful.

Guest PolleSoftware

Sorry for the malfunctioning version 0.5!

A new version 0.6 is available from the web-site. It now contains the two new icon-files for the folder-functionality, which caused the crash when starting SecureInfo.

Sorry again,

Guest I. C. Monsters

The new version (0.6) started with no problems. I'm not entirely sure that the app does what I'm after though. I was hoping for something that would allow me to secure a number of files and/or folders. I don't know if you have any intentions for this kind of functionality.

Guest NIGHTMARE
Nightmare,

Obviously, I am a sucker for persons who asks nice - you've got your folders :-)

I have been away for the last week.

Just being using the lastest verian and i am please to say it will be staying on my mobile, you have implemeted the folders in a better way than previouse software has!

Please please please can you send me a copy of your StopWatch, i am starting lap sprinting again for the winter and i would be very happy with it, please please please, just for me.

Guest PolleSoftware

I. C. Monsters,

Well, you are right - SecureInfo does only encrypt information entered into SecureInfo, but I like your idea of having an application to securely store files/folders.

Could you give me a light draft of your thoughts on the application, integration with existing file system, user interface etc.? Then I will go into thinking-mode...

Best regards,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PolleSoftware

SecureInfo version 1.0 released

Thank you all for testing, giving feedback and valuable inputs.

Please upgrade your existing version with 1.0, as all beta-versions will expire 12th of December. Download links at top of page...

Best regards,

Guest jpalmer99

This software rocks. Nice and simple and just what I was looking for to protect some passwords, etc. Tried a couple of the other packages but they cost a good bit in comparison to what I needed. Thanks for taking the time to create it.