RAZRberry to run Windows Mobile

Guest gsr264

This is directly from Engadget:

"We just got some scoopage on a Motorola smartphone that is coming out next year. A source deep within the company has confirmed for us that they’re gunning for RIM with a smartphone, codenamed “RAZRberry” that’s just as thin and has the same styling as their RAZR V3 cellphone (which is pictured at right), but is wide enough to fit a QWERTY mini-keyboard. Our source couldn’t confirm the operating system, but the RAZRberry is likely to run on some flavor of Windows Mobile and come out sometime in the middle of 2005."

6167529206452629.jpg?0.5886218974640248

Looks promising as long as they take care of the reported bugs many new Motorola sets are having...

Engadget article

Guest midnight

this sounded good until they said 'QWERTY keyboard'

sorry, but i dont want a keyboard (which makes devices bigger) on my smartphone, or, PPC for that matter, look at the JAM :lol:

Reading this it does sound like it will be a PPC device though, not Smartphone.

I swear to God when I saw the subject, that it was going to be a joke or a photoshopped mock-up. It still sounds fishy to me.

Honestly, the RAZR is an awesome case but a crappy OS. It's just a thin v600. You slap the MPx220 OS and internals in it and it's the best of both worlds. Bangelboy suggested the same thing a while back.

*BUT*

I carry both a 6800 and a 6820 and I have to say I love the way Nokia implemented the QWERTY keyboard. If I could get a 6820 with the MS Smartphone OS and the larger screen, I'd be a very, very happy man. Of course it better have WiFi or I'll continue to whine about it.

Just my .02

-Mc

Just to point out, just because it has a keyboard don't be so quick to think it's a PPC...

The new samsung smartphone (the i600 replacement) is reported to have a QWERTY keyboard with it and it does run WM 2003 SE for smartphones...

Not to mention the Voq has a keyboard...

Anyway I'm off to best buy to see if they have any 220's with the upgraded firmware...

Guest midnight

and the Voq is a good thing because......... ?????? :D

all i'm saying is, the ppc os is more geared towards full text input (it has office apps for a start, something ms smartphone does not have. And if you widen the device to fit in a qwerty keyboard then you may aswell add a bigger display, add a bigger display and you may aswell add the PPC OS. Also stated in the Engadget text is it will run some flavour of Windows Mobile, which could mean Smartphone or PPC.

Now the C500 is out do you really think the majority of people will buy a LARGE MS Smartphone again? I doubt it somehow.

and McHale, you want something with an MS Smartphone-like OS, Bigger Screen, Wifi and Qwerty Keyboard? sounds like you want a ppc to me, either MPx or Orange M2000 :lol:

Midnight try to understand most americans prefer a flip phone FAR more than a brick phone. Design wise I think, at least in America, that a RAZR shaped smartphone with Blackberry functions would greatly outsell a c500 type phone. Just my opinion. To be honest, if the 5600 wasn't quite so bland in case design I bet they'd be selling a lot more of them here. (not that they aren't selling like hotcakes now)

and McHale, you want something with an MS Smartphone-like OS, Bigger Screen, Wifi and Qwerty Keyboard? sounds like you want a ppc to me, either MPx or Orange M2000 :lol:

I do. But they are TOO big. That MPx was my all time favorite until I realized it would be like having a paving brick in my front pocket. The MPx220 is alright for now. If it had WiFi, I'd be even happier with it.

What I meant by bigger screen is bigger than the 6800 or 6820's screen which is 128x128. With qwerty, the 6820 is thicker but the same size as the c500. It's actually a really good phone, but certainly not a smartphone.

-Mc

I agree with midnight. loved the idea up to the keyboard part.

not needed. the original key look incredible!!! keep them just adapt them to smartphone keys.

it's VERY flat so if this is no joke. would be a serious competittor for my next phone.

Pigo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.