Mpx220 recalled!

Guest gsr264

Alright there Einstein whats your big beef with the 200? I owned one for over a year and had ZERO problems with it that weren't user error.  Care to name me a problem that was the phone's fault and not yours? No offense, I have just never heard of any problems with the phone,  and  

I used and hacked mine EXTENSIVELY. Knew it front to back, inside and out. Always had found it to be one of the most bug free smarthones in existence.  

As for the 220, my money says they sent it to best buy first, "testing the market," to see if enough people would complain about it to warrent a recall. This is normal business practice and it happens in any industry. Keep in mind companies are in the business to make money and I can't blame them. If I were moto, and 1 out of 1000 people complained about the volume, would that warrent me spending the money for a recall? Hard to say... what do you think?

Well I wish I had your phone!

Lets see: Voice Dialing: INOP due to "3"-way switch that is in reality a 2-way switch.

Caller ID functions that have an unadvertized limit on the size of your Contact Database (Not the "Caller ID Bug", but the underhorsed processing power of the system itself)

Ditto the inability to use Picture-ID with Contact databases bigger than a College Sr.'s

Ditto the frequent inability to use custom ringtones

Wonky hinges - had to replace mine twice to get one that was stable.

Inability to respond to softkey presses when any phone activity is going on, unless they are repeated

Poor signal reception

The last two leading to an amazing propensity to drop or simply not respond to calls until after they are picked up by voicemail

Short/irregular battery life

I could go on, by why bother. Please note that all of the above complaints were specifically promised to be delivered in working order when this $400 phone was sold. At the time, there is no way that Moto and AT&T didn't know about them, just didn't care about their customers enough to fix it or delete these claims from their advertising.

FYI, I use my 200 all the time and love it's ability to replace both my previous phone and Palm. I was a Palm devotee, right back to the original and thought I couldn't live without it, but I manage. I would do a lot better if the 200 had functioning Voice Dialing and Caller ID functions that worked properly. Hopefully the 220 can, but I for one am waiting a while to let them get the bugs out, at least the ones they have already knowingly foisted on their unsuspecting Beta Testers - oops, I mean best customers.

MadSci

Guest mike-oh

I'n the year that i've had my MPx200 i've used voice dialling twice, all down to that crappy button. I use the word button loosely as that's implying something which can be pressed, which just isn't the case on this phone! Never had any other major probs except with a few quirks with the battery. :lol:

Well I wish I had your phone!

Lets see: Voice Dialing: INOP due to "3"-way switch that is in reality a 2-way switch.

Caller ID functions that have an unadvertized limit on the size of your Contact Database (Not the "Caller ID Bug", but the underhorsed processing power of the system itself)

Ditto the inability to use Picture-ID with Contact databases bigger than a College Sr.'s

Ditto the frequent inability to use custom ringtones

Wonky hinges - had to replace mine twice to get one that was stable.

Inability to respond to softkey presses when any phone activity is going on, unless they are repeated

Poor signal reception

The last two leading to an amazing propensity to drop or simply not respond to calls until after they are picked up by voicemail

Short/irregular battery life

I could go on, by why bother. Please note that all of the above complaints were specifically promised to be delivered in working order when this $400 phone was sold. At the time, there is no way that Moto and AT&T didn't know about them, just didn't care about their customers enough to fix it or delete these claims from their advertising.

FYI, I use my 200 all the time and love it's ability to replace both my previous phone and Palm. I was a Palm devotee, right back to the original and thought I couldn't live without it, but I manage. I would do a lot better if the 200 had functioning Voice Dialing and Caller ID functions that worked properly. Hopefully the 220 can, but I for one am waiting a while to let them get the bugs out, at least the ones they have already knowingly foisted on their unsuspecting Beta Testers - oops, I mean best customers.

MadSci

Alright, I WILL agree that the rocker button wasn't executed properly, however it was never broken. It just wasn't convenient. Other than that it sounds like you just had some bad luck. You'll find most people that owned the phone loved it, and didn't feel like lynching Motorola over their own inability :lol:

Fact is, that is still the best built smartphone in existence. If it isn't good enough for you, do us all a favor and move to a different platform of phone. Otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts and give us a headache. It seems like you've already decided that Motorola just wants to hose you, so why would you be waiting to give them your money? You are of course entitled to your opinion, I just don't understand why an intelligent person such as yourself would want to stick with a company you distrust and dislike when you have many other options that would work better for YOUR needs. It's like you have beaten wife syndrome...

(See signature) :roll:

Guest Pondrew
Fact is, that is still the best built smartphone in existence...

Interesting opinion there bud. I don't know if it's true but if it is then it's pretty damning for the Smartphone platform as a whole. That is, assuming you acknowledge the existence of problems including dodgy hinges, button imprints on screen, breaking sim clips, etc. Surely these were problems of build quality and/or design weren't they?

Anyway, getting back on topic, any more news about the firmware upgrade/recall of the MPX220? Did anyone that had bought the 'phone get contacted to take it back?

I swapped my phone out yesterday at Best Buy and can confirm higher volume levels through mic and speaker with the .342 rom.

That means the biggest problem with the phone has just been taken care of. The camera also either works better in this rom, or I have gotten the hang of it, and I'm taking very respectable pics with it. With those two things fixed, I see no reason for anyone to not jump on this phone. The only problems now are the normal nitpicky ones and you get a few of those with ANY phone. (like silly tabs on the battery cover that will probably break off one day, the slightly smaller screen, crap video recorder, and akward java app)

At this point I've given up on thinking there will be a phone without some of these kinds of inane problems, unless BMW starts making them... :lol:

Alright, I WILL agree that the rocker button wasn't executed properly, however it was never broken. It just wasn't convenient. Other than that it sounds like you just had some bad luck. You'll find most people that owned the phone loved it, and didn't feel like lynching Motorola over their own inability :lol:

Fact is, that is still the best built smartphone in existence. If it isn't good enough for you, do us all a favor and move to a different platform of phone. Otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts and give us a headache. It seems like you've already decided that Motorola just wants to hose you, so why would you be waiting to give them your money? You are of course entitled to your opinion, I just don't understand why an intelligent person such as yourself would want to stick with a company you distrust and dislike when you have many other options that would work better for YOUR needs. It's like you have beaten wife syndrome...

(See signature) :roll:

No, just Tempura syndrome. My faith has been lightly battered, but not broken. I get the impression that at least someone at Moto listens to us, and if we remain silent, then they won't have the justification required to push management to display more comittment to their customers, us.

I'm hoping that once the major bugs are out of the 220, that I will be very satisfied with it's performance and features. Kind of like a second Marriage "The triumph of hope over experience" =p~

Anyway, I've had my $0.02, so lets move on.

Cheers!

MadSci

swapped my MPx220 yesterday. I'd like to see the fixes. The volume is certainly louder, the camera is certainly better, but things seem a little snappier...

The HW did not change so I know it's just SW fixes...

I'd like to get my hands on the FW to have as a backup, but according to Motorola, that won't be possible:

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support. We really appreciate your interest in our brand and our products. 

Regarding your concern, we are sorry to inform you that in order to improve audio and microphone performance of your MPx220, you would have to contact the Best Buy from which you purchased the phone. As part of our commitment to constant improvement, Motorola has updated the software on the MPx220 to improve audio and microphone performance after receiving consumer feedback following early product sales. Motorola began to make updated MPx220 handsets available to Best Buy. The units are being shipped through Best Buy distribution channels to enable availability of the MPx220 at retail. Our companies are working together to ensure consumer satisfaction. However, as mentioned before you would have to contact the Best Buy from which you purchased the cellular phone for further assistance on this matter.

We really apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you and we remain at your entire disposal for any further questions you may wish to ask. 

For further information regarding this or any other subject, please do not hesitate to visit our website www.motorola.com/us or contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-331-6456, where one of our agents will be happy to assist you. Our hours of operation are from Monday to Friday from 8AM to 7PM Central Standard Time. 

Thank you for allowing us to be of your assistance. 

Best regards,   

Response (Joe) 11/17/2004 02:32 PM

-Mc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.