Windows Activation Problems...

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

I have a notebook that I bought with Windows XP Home installed.

I bought an upgrade to XP Pro and installed it some time ago.

I was trying to download Microsoft's PhotoStory when it asked to verify my copy of Windows. It says there is a problem with my activation...meaning it doesnt believe I am holding a valid copy of windows.

I tried downloading Windows Media Connect and I have the same problem.

When I look in Programs>Accessories>SysTools>Activate windows and run it...it says that it is registered already with absolutely no other options.

Does anyone know a fix for this at all. I looked in the registry and the Windows ProductID is different than the Product key on my windows disk label. Is this the culprit? I dont want to change it and restart and not be able to log in at all.

I have an email into MS, but if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Nick

Guest element

When you installed pro, did you install it over home, or did you format 1st? If you installed it over home, its possible that the 2 different product keys are "corrupting" Thats the only thing I can think of right now... Perhaps if you didnt format before you installed, that could be an option.

Guest nickcornaglia

I installed it as an upgrade as I did not but the full version...just the upgrade version. I have MS on the case...they have responded and asked for some info and should get back to me by tomorrow.