Burning Mac CDs in Windows XP

Guest Palindrome

Guest Palindrome

I was wondering if someone could help me with an annoying problem I have. On my Windows XP Home machine I have a .sit file which I need to burn to a CD and copy onto a friends Mac (OSX). I've been researching about the different file formats each computer uses and I think I have an idea, but I need to be sure that it will work first time. My friend lives miles away so I'll only have one chance to get it right (unless I sacrifice a stack of CDs).

On a side note, I do like the way my friend's Mac can zoom out of the desktop and display all open windows at one go (by going to the top right corner of the screen). :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Kirby

I'm not sure, but I think that the format for CDs is platform independant - as long as the Mac can understand the data writen on the disk (such as the .sit file) it should be fine. Generally Macs are better at reading PC stuff than the other way round anyway!

It might be worthing having a look at http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/index.html>Mac Opener from DataViz.

It will write Mac disks on the PC, not sure if it will help you CD-ROMS though, but worth checking out.

Guest Palindrome

Cheers, Matt. I'll give that a go. I'm also exploring the idea of using something like MSN Messenger to transfer the file. All I have to do now is persuade her to get internet access. It's never easy. :?

Guest Richie M

You can burn Mac compatable CD's with Nero and the like, burn them as HFS not ISO :D

if i remember rightly a .sat is a Stuffit Expander file, like a zip file for Macs, you can extract it with the PC version of Stuffit but i'd advise you to just burn the file on to a HFS disk :lol:

Guest siu99spj

I was under the impression that Nero would only burn a HFS disk if a MAC partition was present. If not, and/or if its a newer version of Nero, I don't think you even get that option...

Guest Palindrome

I believe a HFS partition on my PCs hard disk is necessary to get working Mac disks. I've also found a program called TransMac which may solve the problems. Right now I'll see if I can get the Mac to read a Windows partitioned disk. It's only a 50p CD I'll be loosing if it doesn't work.