i'm confused - newbie

Guest chen_d

hi, everyone.. im a lil bit confused with smartphones..

i hope someone there is kind enough to teach me

smartphones 101 - genealogy =) im new to the

smartphone world.. and i want to buy one.. im here in

the US.. i'll buy it here.. but i'll be using it in manila

1. what smartphones are being used in manila? pls. include the old versions (e.g. SAP?)

2. what's SAP? SAP 2? I could distinguish O2 phones.. but the rest

i can't understand.. like the dopod, QTEK, i-mate, HTC, orange? what's

all that? are they the same hardware?

3. what do you call them there in manila and what's their equivalent to other names (e.g. voyager, c500, etc)?

thanks/chen

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi chen. Welcome to the Pinoy Section of MoDaCo Smartphone Forum. :D

1. Old Smart Amazing Phone or SAP1 aka Tanager. New SAP2 or Voyager

2. HTC (High Tech Computers) in Taiwan is the manufacturer of the Windows-powered Smartphones (SPV) used by Service providers like Smart Telecoms Philippines, Orange in Europe, Imate in Australia, Dopod in China. Im not sure though what country Qtek phones came from. All I know is they have a .nu (dot N U ) as domain name (www.qtek.nu) :lol:

Here are some picture guides:

http://www.wmdevices.com/smartcom.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/dev...phone/apac.mspx

Orange SPV evolution:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...p=472810#472810

The SPV stands for Sounds, Pictures and Videos. Service providers gave names to this 'generic' term. Orange first released the SPV, followed by SPVe100, SPVe200 then lately the C500. Smart Philippines released 2. First the Smart Amazing Phone 1 (SAP1) then Voyager (SAP2). No C500 units/equivalent here yet.

3. Here in Manila, old SAP1 is similar to Orange SPVe100, running Smartphone2002 OS. SAP2 on the other is the latest Smartphone model here. They call it 'Voyager', similar to Orange e200 running Smartphone2003 Operating System.

Further, if you wish to buy an SPV there in the US, go for the Audiovox SMT5600. That is equivalent to Orange C500. There is a new release of a C500 equivalent named Imate sP3i. You can search for more info re this unit on www.expansys.com

Mabuhay! :wink:

Guest lukeap69

that's great pzee.

@chen_d,

i suggest you buy voyager (sap2, e200) or the mighty audiovox smt 5600 (c500). tanager (e100) is old now like whati have.

regards,

lukeap

LIKE WOW! you guys are so kind!

before i posted here.. i was thinking if my post is crap n stupid.. so i searched for the moderators in this pinoy section.. unfortuantely, PMs are unauthorized.. but you (pzee) have yer email published.. so i was thinking.. to email you.. but you might considered it as spam.. coz you don't know me.. so i decided to post this question.. then here you are.. answering my stupid question! =)

THANKS A LOT! PZEE AND LUKEAP69!!

bat kse iba iba pa name nila eh =)

Guest lukeap69
Same here lukeap. Still on the good 'ole SAP1 :lol:

@pzee,

maybe smart should give you pinoy mods voyager for free. ang laki ng tulong nyo sa mga SAP users. what do you think smart telco people???

lukeap

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

You're welcome chen_d. Always happy to help...very happy pa nga oh --> :D

@lukeap

Voyager for the Pinoy Mods? Not a bad idea. :lol:

@MR

Yung notebook ko na lang pwede? :D

@kubikong

Be kind to Smart pare. Simply Amazing yan. ;)

uhm.. another stupid question..

i could use any phone there in manila (e.g. dopod, orange, imate, etc) aight?! ...as long as they're network unlocked? because they're all the same..

thanks again!

Guest Tabongkoi

mga pinoy mods.... ask lang sana ako ha.

wat do u think is the best rom to use for sap2(voyager)? and where and how could i get such rom?

i tried using orange(forgot the version though) but it was hanging.

help naman mga kaSPAMyan>>> :lol:

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi Tabongkoi,

Sorry wala akong e200 ha pero from what I've read, maganda raw yung Orange ROM for the Voyager. Yung iba naman gusto ng Qtek ROM.

Ito nga pla yung mga Voyager ROMs na pwede mong ma-download:

www.sp2003.tk

Antayin na lang natin ang feedbacks ng mga Voyager users. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mikeydj1229

orange works best for me,didnt xperience hanging, gotta love that orange plugin...its actually more of a personal prefence, try other roms such as i-mate or qtek,and see which suits you..

Posted from my SmartPhone!