External Display Hacking ?

Guest wazmo

OK, so now I got the MPx220, and so far, so good.

One of the things that annoys me is the external display-for starters:

(1) Within a few seconds it throws up that stupid headshot and truncates the phone number with trailing dots-not cool.

(2) While in you in a conversation it justs ays 'talking' and either the phone number or the contact name.

What I'd like to be able to do is

(1) to kill the headshot and let the base display show up with either the number of the contact name, and

(2) Have a in-call timer on the display.

I know thati can be done, 'cuz the Samsing I600 on Verzon does this.

I've searched this board and others for some clues as to what I can tweak to make this happen, but no joy.

Outside of not being able to get Bluetooth ActiveSync working, This hasn't been a bad little phone-I had the SMT5600 before this, but I'm too use to the flip-phone.

The short answer is this isn't possible. I've checked. Hopefully someone could figure out a way to change these things, but it looks bleak.

Guess its time to yell at Moto and Cingular. Geez-who'd thunk that the T720 is actually a better phone than the MPx220 when it comes to being USED as a phone?

Well, I did discover you CAN kill that stupid blank-head caller-ID popup: Bring up task manager and kill the ARCcallerid task-voila! All futher calls will show the name or number and the word 'Calling' in thie display.

Now If I can whack the shortcut that autostarts this, then we're home free.

Well, I did discover you CAN kill that stupid blank-head caller-ID popup: Bring up http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7065>Task Manager and kill the ARCcallerid task-voila! All futher calls will show the name or number and the word 'Calling' in thie display.

Now If I can whack the shortcut that autostarts this, then we're home free.

maybe you can delete it under Storage> Windows> Startup i'm not sure coz idont really own an MPX220. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I had deleted that shortcut on about day 1 of owning the phone. I do not plan on using pictures for caller ID (which take up space). So the blank head shots are REALLY annoying. Also, being a Microsoft product, anything you can delete out of the startup *HAS* to improve the speed and efficiency of the phone.

I don't know. Maybe I don't have as many friends as some others, but I don't need a picture to help me remember who it is that is calling me...

"Bob Smith... is that... OH YAH!!!! Thank God for that picture or I'd be talking to a complete stranger!!!!!"

-Mc

Guest onlydarksets

OK - how about getting this thread back on track. Does anyone know how to change what appears on the external display? One person has said it's not possible, but failed to explain his opinion. For some reason that seemed to scare everyone off. This has to be possible - I find it difficult to believe Moto hardcoded multiple external display "Styles" into a binary.

Guest scott_donald
OK - how about getting this thread back on track.  Does anyone know how to change what appears on the external display?  One person has said it's not possible, but failed to explain his opinion.  For some reason that seemed to scare everyone off.  This has to be possible - I find it difficult to believe Moto hardcoded multiple external display "Styles" into a binary.

there is a thread in the mpx200 section and the 220 is mentioned in it... look there...

Guest onlydarksets
there is a thread in the mpx200 section and the 220 is mentioned in it... look there...

I have seen that thread, it is not on point - the thread is talking about changing the image on the outside screen. I am talking about changing the information that appears there (i.e., name, carrier, date, time, etc.).

If there is another thread out there, I am more than happy to look at it. However, I have searched and have not found anything.

Unless you can get a copy of the rom and make changes to it, the only way to change things like this is through the registry. At this time nobody (including myself) has been able to find anything in the registry that would allow this.

Not saying it can't be done, but at this point with the knowledge we have, nobody knows how.

Guest gapfilmvideo

here is a twist ....how about just making the ext. display remain on all the time????....i am not concerned about battery.....just a pain to hit the volume button to check for messages, time etc.....

• 1 month later...
Guest compubug

This is my first post so forgive me if it is in the wrong place. The timeout setting for the external display can be found in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Controlpanel/Backlight/CMCS_SLCDTimeout

I changed from the default of 6000 to 60000, now my external display stays on for approx. 1 minute. Hope this is helpful to someone. :D

Edited by compubug

• 3 months later...
Guest Tinstaafl

I set HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Controlpanel/Backlight/CMCS_SLCDTimeout to -1 & that seems to work to keep the backlight on permanently. Doesn't help battery life though...

Guest laskuh

i seem to remember that leaving the external display on also leaves internal on as well. and i thought i checked and confirmed this as well. i think i remember the internal being on, but a white screen or something when closed.

so that would eat battery life.

if its true.

forgive me if im wrong. or not coherent. its time to sleep ;)

Guest Tinstaafl

You're correct. It does leave the internal display's light on. I just peeked while the phone was closed & could see the light leakage through the side. Bugger.

Guest chrisc28

There's a fine point that a lot of people are missing regarding the external display.

As WM2003 doesn't offer native support for external screen systems in flip phones, the Motorola MPx220 had some of it's external screen properties controlled by the ArcCaller ID and such programs. You should notice that killing this program disables the use of the external screen as a camera viewfinder when the phone is closed.

ArcSoft is notorious for producing software that functions like beta versions of themselves, but somehow finds its applications bundled with many Windows smartphones (including the C500). There must be some agreement between the Taiwanese phone makers and ArcSoft. Anyway, my point is, I never find any of ArcSoft's software working properly and this includes the MMS client and the ArcCaller ID program. Plus don't get me started on the Camera software.