Outdoor Navigator

Guest squall

In recent weeks and months there have been a number of GPS navigation applications released for the smarthone platform, but so far these have been aimed at drivers, not people who enjoy outdoor pursuits.

The first application set to challenge this trend is called Outdoor Navigator.

on3.jpgon5.jpgon7.jpg

Outdoor Navigator for Smartphone will be released in early 2005 (January or February). If you are interested in obtaining a pre-release version for your Smartphone, please send an email to [email protected] and provide contact information along with the Smartphone and GPS models that you'd like to use the product with.  For more information about Outdoor Navigator, go to www.outdoornavigator.com or www.maptech.com.

Initially it seems this application will only be available for users in the United States.

More information, pictures and a detailed guide can be found at activemap.com

Guest awarner [MVP]

I have spoken to Activmap and initially their application will only be for the US market but they hope to expand later. :lol:

This is one app that would be very useful for taking my scout troop

on hikes etc.

Hopefully if released in the Europe it will be a decent price as maps on the PPC format are not cheap :D

Guest Papa Smurf

Now what would be good is a GPS system that can be used in the car or when walking off road, with both modes having voice directions. I would find this handy for mountain biking as I don't want to carry maps but always have my phone on me.

Guest mavisdavis
Now what would be good is a GPS system that can be used in the car or when walking off road, with both modes having voice directions.  I would find this handy for mountain biking as I don't want to carry maps but always have my phone on me.

Fortuna BT Clip-on is a good one with Xtrac V.2 mode this allows you go deep under foliage and bridges n stuff and still pick up a signal

Thanks for the heads up on this program. I use CoPilot for street navigation but this is nicely priced for a Topo navigation resource. I downloaded and installed OutDoor Navigation on my PDA2K today. It works fine with my Copilot Bluetooth GPS receiver. Just set the GPS to NMEA and find the correct BT Serial Port. Nice program and it seems to work.

Guest awarner [MVP]

There are available for PPC but they are not cheap at around £40+

for regional maps. So if you want UK coverage at a decent scale

1:25000 it works out quite expensive. :lol:

Guest jeffrey.siegel@activ

Hey - just saw the comments about Outdoor Navigator. I'm the developer of the product. I'm always interested in hearing ideas and suggestions.

Maptech and I are very aware of the need for international maps. We're having a joint meeting on Tuesday for the sole purpose of planning the next stage of our Smartphone offerings. The product is a couple of months ahead of schedule which puts me in a very nice position right now!

Anyway, the issue is that we'd like to have a map set offering that is low priced and complete like we do for the United States. We could easily allow the product to work with the existing Ordinance Survey, et. al. CD's on the market, but I don't really think that is what people want (paying for each CD at 3-10 times the cost of the Outdoor Navigator application). We'd like to get to a place where we can offer a complete mapping set for a single low price. That model has been working great in the US.

So please! Keep making suggestions, public or private. I'll do my best to respond.

Cheers!

...Jeff

Guest mavisdavis
Hey - just saw the comments about Outdoor Navigator.  I'm the developer of the product.  I'm always interested in hearing ideas and suggestions.

Maptech and I are very aware of the need for international maps.  We're having a joint meeting on Tuesday for the sole purpose of planning the next stage of our Smartphone offerings.  The product is a couple of months ahead of schedule which puts me in a very nice position right now!

Anyway, the issue is that we'd like to have a map set offering that is low priced and complete like we do for the United States.  We could easily allow the product to work with the existing Ordinance Survey, et. al. CD's on the market, but I don't really think that is what people want (paying for each CD at 3-10 times the cost of the Outdoor Navigator application).  We'd like to get to a place where we can offer a complete mapping set for a single low price.  That model has been working great in the US.

So please! Keep making suggestions, public or private.  I'll do my best to respond.

Cheers!

...Jeff

Great 1st post Jeff. Nice to see you in the forum.

I think you said what we all wanty to hear

Complete package at a cheap price :wink:

It would be nice to have an app that offered simple waypointing and GPS compass capabilities to start with. I use GPSDash on my iPAQ and this is a great little application, that allows you to load in and reference your own maps and gives you a nice Dashboard interface with all the info you need.

I am surprised something similar isn't available for SmartPhone.

Guest jeffrey.siegel@activ

A couple of responses:

- Route planning is in the product today. When you activate a route, it will assist you with navigating each waypoint to waypoint.

- Logging (we call it tracks) isn't implemented. It's high on the list of things to be added. It is needed.

- It is nice to have a compass-like display ala GPSDash - I have that on one of my Pocket PC's. A map can often be a better display. For one pretty low price, we provide all of the maps (US). You're right in that we should have some better GPS status displays. I hate to sound like a broken record but it is on the list too - we've gotten that same feedback for the Palm and Pocket PC version.

Since Outdoor Navigator was released, we've been making "horizontal" changes to it - getting it onto different platforms. The development is now shifting to become more "vertical" as we add features and capabilities based on the feedback on the thousand of users of the product. It is still a very new product and trust me, it isn't done being developed at all!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fruitneck

The guys over at memory map are developing a client for the smartphone as we speak. They didnt give me a predicted release date though. If it is as good on the smartphone as it is on the PPC then it will be another killer app for this platform. The only thing that might let it down is the ridiculous price for the OS maps (not memory maps fault--ordnance surveys).

Looking forward to it anyway

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.