new GAPI issues ?

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest The PocketTV Team

We received various reports that seem to point to GAPI-related issues on the following new models:

- Denish Orange C500 (2003 SE)

- Qtek 8010 (2003 SE)

- Audiovox SMT5600 (2003 SE)

- iMate SP3i (2003 SE)

Apparently the first 3 are based on the same HTC Typhoon, correct ?

So in that case, I thought that the GAPI problems would somehow be the same that we got on the first C500, but apparently no, because our workaround does not seem to work on those phones. Not sure why.

The iMate SP3i (and T-Mobile SDA) are apparently based on the HTC Feeler. On this one, the problem seems to be different, because GXIsDisplayDRAMBuffer returns 0 (GAPI uses direct frame buffer)...

Is anyone aware of those GAPI issues, and if yes, are they already being discussed somewhere on another thread ?

Thanks!

Guest The PocketTV Team

not sure yet.

it seems to work when using GAPI "by the book", i.e. according to MSFT documentation, so that's what i do.

i think what happens is that although GAPI does not use a DRAM buffer, the address returned by GXBeginDraw is not always the same!!! (and it is not always the one returned by GETGXINFO).

so you cannot assume a constant address for the display frame buffer.

Guest The PocketTV Team

well, apparently the story is a bit different:

GXBeginDraw always returns the same address (i.e. the same as the one returned by GETGXINFO), but if you don't call GXBeginDraw / GXEndDraw respectively before and after accessing the raw frame buffer, sometimes the frame buffer memory address does not get mapped properly to the actual physical memory.

when this happens, the application works just fine (it does not freeze or crash), but the display is not updated. Audio continues to play, and the UI works.

weird!

so the solution seems to use GAPI "by the book", i.e. to call GXBeginDraw / GXEndDraw respectively before and after displaying each frame.

Guest picard_beta

Thanks! I already disable GETGXINFO usage on Smartphones with the latest BetaPlayer, it uses traditional GAPI. Hopefully it works. But this is really strange why the memory mapping change.

Guest The PocketTV Team
Thanks! I already disable GETGXINFO usage on Smartphones with the latest BetaPlayer, it uses traditional GAPI. Hopefully it works. But this is really strange why the memory mapping change.

but there are some smartphones where GAPI will not work, and you must use GETGXINFO.

so if you disable it all the times, you will have problems on those.

Guest picard_beta

Which one do you mean? I thought GETGXINFO was only required for X30 to avoid the crash with the original ROM.

Sorry I still handle the C500 specially (with old ROM), but I use GXBeginDraw to get the address (once).

Guest The PocketTV Team

I think there are some C500 ROM's in which GXBeginDraw returns a bogus address, and GETGXINFO must be used. not sure though.... you'll have to check if users reports problems.