MPX220 and Orange !!

Guest benjytrainer

Guest benjytrainer

Hello all

Again, similar along the lines of comments made by other posters, but this evening I got wound up and called Orange. The first CS person I spoke to said I must mean the MPXM2000 ( nice new model ....! ), to which I re-stated the handset model number.

Eventually I spoke to a supervisor who said that the handset was not in review, and that therefore means it's not coming out. She then said she didn't know what was happening, but, that her word was final - comedy!

So, I've asked for them simply to give the review team a call and just get a simple yes/no on release - we're all happy to wait if it's coming, but if not, then at least we should know, and be able to go and make other handset purchases ...

Apparently I am going to get this call back within a week, but we'll see ...

Anyhow I have other options ...

I work in the industry, and know people at Orange - I am sure one of them could probably find out what on earth is going on. I spoke to my mate at Moto, and he said he didn't know why they weren't releasing it, and that they've had 220's lying around for ages !

Ultimately if anyone has more direct links in to Orange, surely between the people on the forum we can find out what is going on - I am not interested in this info for any other reason that to decide whether I go for that device and stay with Orange - and that's it. The longer this device is not available, the faster it is dating. It won't be forever before something comes along that superceeds it ...

benj

Guest blackhorse

All i know is the handset was in review about 6 weeks ago, with an expected Jan launch.

Since then the handset is not showing on scholar as in review. Cant say anymore im afraid

Guest flashflash

Right... Ive got my o2 free pay as u go sim card and put it in my original SPV and im very pleased with coverage compared to orange. So, as soon as O2 release the Mpx220, im porting my number to orange. Infact by becoming a new customer you get a much better deal with O2 than orange anyway. I must admit, Orange has really gone down hill in many aspects over the last year. It does seem they have struck a big deal with HTC and in return snub moto. Im annoyed, because like many people here, I'm way past my 1 year contract and just want a clamshell smartphone.... ORANGE GET YOUR "A" IN GEAR.. Listen to your customers!!! I guess there are so focusing on 3G now, they dont give a toss

Guest blackhorse
Infact by becoming a new customer you get a much better deal with O2 than orange anyway.  I must admit, Orange has really gone down hill in many aspects over the last year.

That i cant see im afraid, all year we have been paying people £100 to take top phones like the SPVC500 Free of charge. Ive never seeen O2 give ya a £100 to take one of their phones (were not talking rebates after 6 months from a dodgy mail order company here, actual hard credit on day one)

Guest flashflash

That i cant see im afraid, all year we have been paying people £100 to take top phones like the SPVC500 Free of charge. Ive never seeen O2 give ya a £100 to take one of their phones (were not talking rebates after 6 months from a dodgy mail order company here, actual hard credit on day one)

Ok, maybe I wasn't so clear... Its all very well giving people £100 (call time credits im guessing rather than cash back) for a SPVC500. The point is I dont want a "candy bar phone", I had the original SPV and just dont like that style, I find flip phones more comfortable to use (surprise surprise as a phone!!).

Im not talking about dodgy mail order companies here, im talking 02 direct. I wouldnt go through any mail order company, done that at long time ago and woundnt go back there.

My point is.. Ive been with orange since they became the 4th operator in the UK. Now as a customer that spends 50-75 a month, I am a little bit annoyed that someone just joining orange can get a much better deal as a new orange customer than a existing loyal customer. Im not saying O2 is better than anyone else, all Im saying is , Im going to get a much better deal changing to another network and surprise surprise, if O2 do offer the Mpx220 then Im going to get the phone I want, not the phone Orange want to give me( ie, nice deal with HTC, so lets only push the c500 and nothing else because we dont want customers to have a choice!!)

Guest Pondrew

That's assuming the MPX220 ever arrives on O2. And I've gotta say that I personally feel that Orange having had the handset on their review list one week and not the other puts big questions on that handset.

Guest scott_donald
That's assuming the MPX220 ever arrives on O2. And I've gotta say that I personally feel that Orange having had the handset on their review list one week and not the other puts big questions on that handset.

supposedly monday... friend who works in shops says still on computer for then and the shop should get one the next day... seeing him tonight so will ask more...

Guest spacecowboy6982
I'm with Pondrew.

From the little I've read, I imagine Orange (and probably o2) have sent the handset back to Motorola to sort out the camera etc.

Let's hope so - by all accounts it was a sham :!: Really want this phone to have agood camera - that similar to the C500's :!:

Guest benjytrainer

Hello all,

Seems like my original post was pretty much on the money then :)

What these networks don't seem to realise is that (at least) the people on here are device-centric - we are not sooooo fussed about the operator as long as they provide a service that works. Having good customer service ( which I think Orange generally do ) is a bonus, but I'd settle for the handset that I want, and a network I can get calls out on ...

If it's the case that o2 are going to stock the 220, then that's where I'm headed - I'm out of contract, like many others, and want the handset that serves my needs !

Unfortunately my work colleague went with o2 and wishes he hadn't - they lost his order, and then tried to bill him twice once they found it ! o2 CS is also apparently cack - any comments about that people ? What's the feeling about them ?

Finally, as I read it, there were two firmware issues with the 220 - assuming they are both sorted now ( which the whole cingular/AT&T debacle in the US suggests ), then we should be good to go - but obviously it's going to have to go through the OpCo's tests again before it comes out - net result - DELAY ! argh !

I was leaning strongly toward C500, even as an intermediary solution, but the issues I read about on this forum with dust ( which, let's be clear, shouldn't be getting under the screen on a device that complex and advanced ) are making me wait

Let's hope it's a Moto-xmas, or in the worst case, a moto-new year - I don't even want to think about the case where nothing gets released !!

benj