Start menu customization

Guest Zenidon

Guest Zenidon

Does anyone know if it is possible to customize the Start Menu to a higher resolution list (ie. show more than 9 programs/shortcuts per screen). A font size more like File Manager would be nice...

Thanks!

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Welcome to the forum :)

On the SP2002 unit...

You can assign the left soft key to RESCO File Explorer (instead of launching appman or default Start Menu) then take advantage of the 'Remember last opened folder' feature of RESCO. You need to open IPSMWindowsStart Menu folder first then disable Tree View.

After a successful re-mapping of the key via registry editing, from the homescreen you can then tap on the left soft key and wait for RESCO to load the 'last opened folder'. Sequence depicted in this animated GIF:

startmenunew4eg.gif

Notice that the Start Menu window shows about 20 entries (LNKs and folders) against 9 entries of the default settings. You can choose from a Large Icons, Small Icons, List, and Details View. Shown above is a 'List View' of the Start Menu folder, Arial Narrow font. :wink:

Guest dahquim

Hey all

If it is this easy to remap the softkey in 2002 (2003???) then would it not be possible to write a Start menu replacement, and map that..

Just wondering

Dahquim

Guest Zenidon

Thanks for the welcome, pzee! I'm glad to be here. I certainly appreciate the detailed response and pretty pictures :)

That is a pretty good option, with the main downside being that if you change directories in the RESCO Explorer, softkey 1 would then take you to the recent (changed) directory instead of the Start Menu. Maybe it would be better if you could tie the softkey to a folder shortcut, but I'm not sure if that's possible. ...Only file shortcuts are allowed?

Thanks again for your response.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

No prob mate. :)

Yah thats the downside of it. But its not a hassle on my part as I use binary's SmartExplorer most of the time. Im afraid folder shortcut is not possible with RESCO or any other app at the mo.

There is actually a StartMenu 'replacement' around and it is called SurrealStart by spacemonkey.

That just speeds up the menu (which was certainly needed on the older SPV's :roll: ) but it still won't allow you to put more than 8 items in one startmenu page.. (wish it would !)