Audible ebooks on i600

Guest blaznc

It seems that this phone comes bundled with this software.

"The Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device SP-i600 by Samsung has several bundled applications to enhance the customer’s experience. As part of a strategic technology and comarketing agreement between Sprint and Audible, Inc., the SP-i600 by Samsung is the first of multiple Sprint PCS Vision Smart Devices to come packaged with the AudiblePlayer application and samples of Audible.com’s premium audio content."

Any way someone could rip it so that other people can download it and try it on their phones? (C500). If so that would be much apperciated as the software is not out yet for the other smartphones. Thanks!!

Brandon

www.audible.com files are not mp3's (if that's what Brandon is talking about). They are aa files that aren't supposed to be able to be converted to mp3's or played on any other device then those that support aa files, but there's always a way around everything ;-)

Guest Skitals

You are right (sorta). I just looked at my audiobooks, and they are indeed .aa files. They are just mp3 files with some kind of drm shell. I had just assumed they were plain mp3s since I play them on my ipod.

Knowing this, I support the idea of getting an audible player on the smartphone... but trying to take it out of the i600 rom (probably) wont happen. Somebody prove me wrong again =]

The link doesn't work (I guess since audible has timed sessions?). I couldn't find the download, but I found the following listing of supported smartphones under the help center (under the question: Is my device compatible with your service?)

SmartPhones

Status

Motorola MPx200

Under Development

Samsung i600

Under Development

Samsung SPH i700

AudibleReady features supported

Samsung SPH i500

No announced plans

Siemens SX 56

Kyocera

No announced plans

Treo 600 & 650

Samsung Uproar

No announced plans

Samsung SPH-I300 (Palm-based)

No announced plans

Sony Ericsson

No announced plans

This is a screen shot from audibles website. To get there and download the sofware you must sign in and then click on the "My Audible" tab on the top, then scroll to the middle of the page and click "Download AudibleManager" Then in the middle again is a section titled "AudiblePlayer for Handhelds" Click on the download link under Microsoft Pocket PC OS then you will reach the page I have taken a screen shot of. To install the software for the Smartphone you must uninstall your current Audible manager. Try it and tell us how it goes.

untitled.bmp

Edited by blaznc

• 2 months later...
Guest batcater98
The i600 is now listed on Audibles website as a compatible device. Someone try it and tell us if it works.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tried this - my i600 gives me an error of "Installation Failed. The program or setting connot be installed because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate." Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Guest batcater98

Spoke with Samsung Support. Since this application is not digially signed, they will not provide an unlock so that you can install this application.

Any ideas - or will we have to wait until Audible gets a digital signature from Verizon?

Ad.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WScottCross
Spoke with Samsung Support. Since this application is not digially signed, they will not provide an unlock so that you can install this application.

Any ideas - or will we have to wait until Audible gets a digital signature from Verizon?

Ad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Sprint I600 came with the Audible app already installed (part of the reason I went with that phone). I really like ability to listen to books on my phone. Just wish it supported higher quality formats (not that level 2 is all that bad, but I have a 512MB SD card...)

Scott

• 5 months later...

I figured I'd post this in this old thread too so interested people would get the notification.

Audible.com now has a Verizon signed client for the i600

I used it to listen to The DaVinci Code last week on a cross coundty flight. It worked flawlessly and the extended battery held up just fine for the 6 hour and 30 min recording..