Problems with eVC++ emulator

Guest Kallisti

Guest Kallisti

I've had a lot of problems trying to get the emulator working. Has anyone got this working? Oddly enough, when I've got my phone in it's cradle, it fails instantly, but just times out if I remove the phone.

I've definitely selected the emulation version in the platform builder, is there something I'm missing here?

You might want to try un installing the Smartphone 2002 SDK and reinstalling it.

I know that I had some problems a while ago when I first installed the eMbedded Visual C++ tools and the Smartphone 2002 SDK - and I cured them by uninstalling the Smartphone 2002 SDK and reinstalling it.

BUT, I only uninstalled the Smartphone 2002 SDK - not the whole eMbedded Visual C++ environment. I have the feeling that if you uninstall EVERYTHING and reinstall EVERYTHING that you will end up exactly back where you are right now.

Guest Kallisti

FWIW, I solved this a day or so later by uninstalling and re-installing one of the eVC components, then by re-installing the SDK over it. I'm now fully up and running and trying to work out exactly how you go about programming VC++ apps :D

Guest spacemonkey

Is this problem to do with getting it to hook up to the emulator with the platform manager thing? Cos I've got it installed, platform manager kicks off the emulator and "copies" some files over... then it just sits there saying "Establishing Platform Manager Connection to Device".

I'll try uninstalling reinstalling some stuff...

[edit] Don't worry, solved my own problem. It was Zone Alarm not letting the emulator talk to the platform manager. Weird... but when I told it that it could access the internet as well as the local zone it started working fine. [/edit]

Actually, the eMbedded Visual C++ emulator communicates with the eMbedded Visual C++ IDE using a network card - even though it uses the "loopback" address of 127.0.0.1.

So, the IDE has to be able to "get to" the internet, even though all the packets sent out for connecting with the emulator only loop back into your same machine.

Likewise, the emulator has to be able to "get to" the internet, even though all its packets sent out for debugging only loop back into your same machine.

You HAVE to love these little obscure bits of information, right?

I hope this explination clears the issue up somewhat for everyone!