<VALIGN> Syntax

Guest PaulF

Can anyone help me out with the correct syntax for the VALIGN function ?

I want to place the clock plugin (time and date) at the bottom of my homescreen. I have tried using this VALIGN function in a couple of places in the plugin, but with no joy.

Here is my current attempt:

But this just puts the clock line in below everything else (but not right at the bottom)

Also, are there any other options for the 'DATE' command that will give the day of the week as well as the full date ??

Many thanks

Paul

No day display (sorry!)

Will

sorry this is the only way you can use Valign, (ie inside the bounds set in )

as stated much better below by spacemonkey! :oops:

Will

Guest spacemonkey

the tag doesn't support valign, in fact it doesn't support much more than height.

plugin's will always be placed consecutively in the order they appear in the xml.

So... to get a plugin to appear at the bottom you need to fill all the space above with plugins to nudge it far enough down.

Further, if you are doing this you don't want to include plugins that dissappear when they are inactive,, like missed calls plugin which only shows when you have missed a call as these will change the length of preceding plugins in the page when they dissappear and reappear.

valign works with a plugin as in

somthing

but this has the effect of putting that label at the bottom of the 40 pixels set aside for the plugin.

So what other screens I've seen do is like follows

which means the date and time appears at the top of the homescreen and but actually take 150pixels of height and then the MRU appears down the bottom of the page.

Guest zenabi
If anyone finds a way to get the day on the homescreen please let me know  :( 

Yeah that would be nice, did anyone else have no clue what day of the week it was during the holidays? :D

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

the only paramaters you can state for are "short" or "long", which relates to how you have the regional settings configured on the spv (i assume). no day option i'm afraid :/

Guest zenabi

You CAN have the Day as part of the date, I found this out from a post by Shak - thanks!

In the Regional Settings change the Locale from English (United Kingdom) to English (United States) and you'll see the Long date style accomodates the day!

It seems only a few locales do not have the day included in the date and UK just happens to be one of them :evil:

OK thanks for all your replies. Haven't tried moving over to US settings to get the day to show up - may try that later (will it have any effect on how my Calendar looks ??)

So assuming I can't use VALIGN to get things at the bottom of my homescreen, I need to 'fix' items so that it never changes and then pad it out at the bottom.

I took out the following line from my All Day Event plugin:

And now I get a blank line if there is no event (which is great, because that means the lenght of my homepage doesn't change).

However, I took this line out of the Missed Calls plugin:

but I still get no line at all when there are no missed calls (which means that the page increase by one line once I have some missed calls)

Anyone know why this is happening ? (and more importantly, how do I get it to say 'Missed Calls: 0' all the time ) ???

:?:

Thanks again

Paul

Just tried the US settings - I have managed to do this:

Leave Language set to UK English

Set Locale to English Philippines - they have a long date format that includes the day (which iswhat I wanted) but also have a short date style that has the day before the month (10/1/03 not 1/10/03)

This seems pretty good for now (and my Calendar looks the same)

I'll post any problems here.......

Paul

Guest spacemonkey

If the missed call plugin is still dissappearing then this must be a "feature" of the plugin so there is nothing you can do about it except not use that plugin if you need a fixed length screen.

Guest BartSimpson

You can use this plugin with a fixed height, you just have to add h="height" to fill space even if there is no missed call.. I just made it in my skin SimpsonsXP for "alldayevents"