Homescreen for Dummies!

Guest Raify

Hello!

Would someone be kind enough to post a quick 'Dummies guide' to customising the home screen??

I've seen lots of interesting code, and have only a vague idea of what to do with it :oops:

A dummies guide to installing playlists would be fantastic too!

thanks!

Nathan

Guest spacemonkey

Your best bet is to just grab one of the MS ones from /windows on your phone, like full.home.xml and then have a play.

It's pretty simple, at the top it has title then the colour scheme, then a list of plugins

For what the plugins are and do http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714 is a good start.

Just open one and start playing. If you load it on your phone and it doesn't appear in the list of home screens in settings then you have probably got bad XML like tags not closed or missing speech marks or something. Change a small bit at a time so it's easy to know where to look for your mistakes.

Guest MaximilianWeisheit

Hi I tried that. but where on the spv do i put the changed and in notpad saved file?

i tried the windows folder but that did not work?

can someone help me out pls!

is there no better solution like a easy programm with which you pus a homescreen together and then put it in the phone

. thanks

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If you put the .home.xml files in the Windows directory they'll be deleted on reboot

You need to save home screens as .home.xml, and then place it in ISPMApplication DataHome, plus any background images you've specified. Assuming theres no errors in the xml they'll thenappear as opton in your home screen settings

Guest spacemonkey

If you are ripping of one of the original home themes from the windows directory make sure you change the contents of the

xxxxx tag at the top because this is the name that appears on the list in settings.

Right dead cheeky request here:

Could someone be really nice and post some code for me (and all!) I've been trying for ages and have a headache :cry:

All i would like, is the orange layout 1 simple but with more (and smaller) icons like many of the customised homescreens have, and the email counter (it already has the sms counter)

I know this is a bit lazy, but i have tried, honest!!

Much respect to anyone who can be bothered to do this

Nathan

Guest spacemonkey

OK, just had a quick look at the Orange Layout 1...

it has an email counter, the line in the middle of the home screen has

"SMS(0) MMS(0) e-mail(0)"

Also the icon bar. It currently has an iconbar with 5 fixed icons selected by Orange. Do you want the most recently used bar as seen in other themes such as "Full Layout" but in small size. Most recently used starts with 5 default icons but then icons are added to it each time you run a program with the most recent one being at the left end of the list.

Wow, that was quick!

What would be best is:

SMS on the left, email on the right (don't care about MMS)

as for the icons, the five fixed plus most recent would be very useful.

You da man!

A thousand thanks

Nathan :D

Guest spacemonkey

Sorry, still not quite there...

The icon bar is a one or other thing not the 5 fixed and MRU, unless you want 2 seperate icon bars... what I'll do is put the MRU on with small icons cos I think it's the most usefull.

The message counts, do you mean you just want a line with

SMS(0) MMS(0)

Aligned to each side of the screen?

Guest awarner [MVP]

spacemonkey do you do requests? :D

but seriously what is the best way to learn,

or is there a good book you know of?

I'd love to learn how but I just don't know where to start :(

Guest spacemonkey

I'm not really the best person, cos I'm not dedicated enough.

The best way to learn is just to get one of the ones that is there and tweak it a bit and see what happens. It's all reasonably logical. In the forums here there are some links to Microsoft sites where there is a fairly clear appendix of what the various bits in the XML mean.

I'm not so interested in homescreens now cos I've got Symbios from smartphony.org which suits me fine... now I'm gonna see if I can't figure out how to build apps.. :D

If you create a homescreen but it's not working quite right or whatever I'll happily have a look and try and give some advice, but get at least the rough layout and look that you want first.

It only took me about an hour to get the idea of how to put these together.

Take a look here :

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=1279

there are other posts too that you can look at in that forum.

its quite simple when you see the form of the document.

Its one large file but split into parts that are denoted by the -

blah blah

take alook at the ones by myself and monolithix. It shouldnt take you too long to see how they go together...

If you do get stuck, give me an idea of the layout you require and Ill knock it up for you..

thanks for all your help spacemonkey!

All i really wanted was small icons at the top, and one line of message counters, sms on the left side adn email on the right.

I've just found the online xml generator and fiddled with one so that it's nearly right. If you're bored of homescreens, just call it a day.

What i have is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Nathan Robinson

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Raify homescreen

Call in progress:

Call in progress:

Appel en cours:

Call in progress:

Anruf in Ausrufung:

Chiamata in corso:

Chamada em curso:

Llamada en curso:

Missed calls:

Missed calls:

Appels manqus:

Missed calls:

Verpasste Anrufe:

Chiamate perse:

Chamadas perdidas:

Llamadas perdidas:

SMS() E-mail() Voice()

Which is o.k. just needs the email counter.

All i wanted was a phone that vibrated sufficiently so i could feel it (I had the sony z7 before which was lame) and now I found i've bought a computer, and i have to learn XML :D

Anyway, thanks again

Nathan

Guest spacemonkey

<label>

<text>SMS(<unreadSMS/>) E-mail(<unreadEmail/>) Voice(<unreadVMail/>) </text>

</label>[/code] that line in your code is the message counts. If you want it to only show SMS and Email (not Voice Mail as well) then just delete that bit. And to align them left and right bust it up like this:
[code]<label halign="left" y="2">

SMS(<unreadSMS/>)

</label>

<label halign="right" y="2">

E-mail(<unreadEmail/>)

</label>

all within the same plugin (as in overwrite the block I quoted above.)

I haven't tested that but it should be right. The y="2" means that m=both bits of text are just below the top of the plugin as in on the same line.