Camera Noise

Guest martinmacca

Guest martinmacca

I work in a store where theres loads of fit birds regularly shopping 8) Just wondered if there was any way of deactivating the camera shutter noise when takin a photo, as theres no way me or my workmates can get a descent pic unless its at a distance. Tried puttingthe phone on silent & tried turning off the system sounds, but still no luck. Cant seem to find the sound when im exploring the phones folders neither :x

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
I believe Neil Enns once said it had been put in for security reasons?  It was in a post on the newsgroup...

security reasons? same sort of reasons as the disclaimers over conversation recorders?

Guest pibrahim

IIRC, I'm fairly certain he used an example of Japan, and photos being taken of people without them knowing, etc., or something like that, and the noise was partly designed to counter that...

I'll try and find the post on Google groups.

Guest pibrahim

Found a post in the NG that referred to Neil Enn's post:

"I don't think it's possible, sorry. I think someone from MS said it was

necessary to meet privacy laws in countries like Japan that say cameras must

also make a noise to warn those whose photo may be taken."

Thread was called Camera Sound, started 10/01/2003

Guest trowsell

Heard on the news the other day that a lot of leisure center etc are baning use of phones in changing rooms since f****d up kiddie fiddlers are going in and taking photos of kids. Another good reason for the noise to be played.

I can't help but think you would notice someone pointing a phone camera at you tho?

With a normal camera yes. With a phone camera it's more difficult: Is that weirdo in the corner texting or taking photos?

Guest youngerpants

as when I press the "capture button" it then takes 5 secs to make a noise then another 5 secs to actually take the picture, I recon that if i were taking pictures of thisgs I shouldnt be (suggestions are more than welcome) I think I would probably have been arrested, charged, tried, sentenced and released on good behaviour by the time I had the picture.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Then you just need to discorver ia album :D. but that is seriously twisted. How long before having to check in phones at the leisure centre reception? :/

I think they're doing something similar in some nightclubs now as well.

Which kinda makes no sense, 'cos the SPV camera isn't the most sensitive thing in the world!

B

Guest DancingMatt

I think it's to do with the Earpiece Volume setting. Try using the keys on the side of the phone? I did notice that recently the camera noise is way lower that it was. Perhaps I've turned the Earpiece down, I dunno, I haven't got mine at my desk with me here to try.

WRT Japan, maybe it's not that daft. Can't speak for Japan, but whilst I was in Vietnam on a charity cycle tour we were told that Vietnamese people don't like their photos being taken, as they believe they lose a little of their soul with every photo.

And so maybe this is true in Japan too. I don't mean to be surmising these things, I've no idea. Whatever, far less screwed up than taking pictures of girls for the sake of it...

• 5 months later...