Remove certification requirement from the SPV

Guest Third_of_Five

Guest Joleypops

Am I being blind as can only find a file called mxipcold_oem_10.provxml - which is slightly different to the filename listed in the instructions (mxip_oem10.provxml ) - or is this the reason why I cant get the thing to work?

Guest Joleypops

sorry - I wrote the wrong filenames. Basically these are the two files I have - 1 is exactly the same as in the instructions & one is slightly different:

i have - mxipcold_oem_10.provxml & mxip_oem_10.provxml

Im confused, ive herd that orange are telling people about modaco because its a good place to get help, ok fair enough, but if they hate certification removal so much you think theird avoid telling people were to get the infomation to get rid of it surely?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Orange do not endorse MoDaCo, the only CSR's suggesting it are those that found it outside of work and think it would be a good place for people with simple problems to look for help.

One note, they could fix this is the update (maybe), also orange is able to push provisioning information to you at any time (at least the microsoft documentation says they should be able to).  In /IPSM/Windows/Startup there is a program called ezPushRouter.  This may relate to that so removing this from startup and rebooting may remove their ability to reconfig your phone remotely.  (That last stuff is completely conjecture I have very little basis for this except similarity of names etc)

Hi Spacemonkey and thanks for the secret of unlocking the SPV it has really opened up the phone for me. Thanks also to Paul for his clear instructions which worked first time for me.

However some people are reporting that their SPV's are reverting to a locked condition. (see software development discussion).

Have you been able to ascertain wether Orange can push updates, revisions or even unlocked provxml files while were connected? You did wonder a bout this and I wonder if the ezpushrouter files should be renamed or are they needed for something important?

Any ideas?

I have also got a problem and i just erased the ispm and when it got to the canary screen i took the battery out like it said. then i waited a few seconds.

Some forums are advising removing the battery but I unlocked ny SPV without ever removing the battery just pressing the power button and voice record button at the start and the power button after erasing the IPSM. Mo need to remove the battery.

Guest Vision of Disorder

On step 4 to unlocking your spv it says copy mxipcold_oem10.provxml and mxip_oem10.provxml to your pc, but i cant find these files where it says to look, can any body help???

Guest awarner [MVP]

Thats because the files are hidden you need to open a window and do the following,

ToolsFolder OpionsView

then select show hidden files and folders.

Guest Vision of Disorder

Thanks for that, I'm now stuck again, on step 9 it says press and hold the action buttom for 2 seconds as instructed, but when i do this it just goes straight to the canary screen, am i doin g anything wrong, I think I have followed all of the other steps correctly.

Guest Vision of Disorder

Doesnt matter any more, ive done it, but now im trying to replace the old files with the new ones and whenever i go on the internet to try and check the favourites it cant dial up and tells me to check the connection settings and no favourites come up, I know it says to go back to the home screen and try again, but ive tried about 5 times, am i doing something wrong?

Guest sirius-c

I have read this whole thread and would just like to ask a couple of questions before taking the plunge. Im happy to do this, just want to know if i can fix it

(if it wasnt for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.....Thats me).

I have purchased a phone today (24/3/2002) it is coming tomorrow and already here I am trying to "un-certify" it when it hasnt even arrived yet. :oops:

Q 1: do the two files in question that are to be edited and copied to SPV always remain in place on the spv (unchanged) after soft restarts?

if so does this mean the phone is always in this "un-certified" state? allowing me to install quality smaller developer "un-certified" apps all the time.

So when a Hard reset is carried out, does this put the phone back in its original state?

IE. everything gone, back to the 'out the box' state, including a phone that will only run certified apps once again?

Q 2: Has anybody installed the orange updates yet? does this procedure need to be carried out again afterwards? or has Orange addressed this as a No-No and fixed it and it dont work anymore?

Sorry but im just making sure :roll:

Very interesting read this thread is, big thanks to all who have contributed their brain power & time.

Well, your phone is most likely updated with a newer version of software (kinda our UK update) and noone has tried unlocking the updated device... So you'l just have to watch a topic something like 'Decertifying after UK Update' to get a solution to your problem :)

Guest ninjaduck

OK i been reading this forum for 2 days now. I am at my wits end and will soon be testing whether the SPV can fly.

I have no problem with the procedure of unlocking - thats fine. The problem i have is with the files that need changing - the information that needs changing is either not there or is in a different file as follows:

mxip_oem_10 - Change the security policy no problem.

mxipcold_oem_10 - There is no security policy or browser favorites here.

I looked in - mxip_operator_100 - The browser favourites are in here (and other stuff i seem to remember once being in mxipcold). No security policy though.

Also 2 files that i'd like to look in (mxip_smartfon_1.provxml and and mxipcold_smartfon_1.provxml) wont paste to my pc. Well they will but no matter where you put them you cant see the file.

I have had my phone since November, tried unlocking after installing the recent update, maybe thats got something to do with it. Actually im confused cos the mxipcold_oem_10 file is not supposed to be there after an update but it is on mine.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated - and will help to save the SPV from going to flight school.

Guest terminater2_uk

did it yesterday, used orange back-up thinking that would save everything. copied the files no problem, restored and lost everything!!! no pics, sounds or programs. took me all day to restore everything. and to really screw me over, the files have changed back to their original state so its still cert locked. dont think i'll bother again :)

Guest terminater2_uk

ok tried to decert again today. seems to have worked....got the altered files on my phone. buttttttttttttttt tried a couple of apps and got "failed to load incorrect parameters contact service provider. tried again and now it just says not digitally signed yet the altered files are still there