General SmartPhone : MSN Messenger Question...

Guest Ladama

Guest Ladama

A question to Smartphone users , how good does the Messenger work ?

I mean: the pc version is nice and easy to use, but i was wondering how it was adapted to the "small" screen? For instance if several users "message" you , how does that work? how do you switch between the users messaging you and stuff ? (maybe there is an online documentation about it ? like pictures or a video ?)

By the way, i just heard the GPRS connection is dropped when a voice call is coming in :/ that's nasty :) Does it disconnect as soon as someone tries to call ? or only when you actually accept it ? Pretty dissapointing when my "lousy" nokia 3510i can GPRS & Voice dial :/

Guest ajb3000

You have a list of currently active conversations, and you switch between them. IMO it works quite well, I use it a fair bit when I'm away from home.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yep, mobile MSN is fairly effective, you have full funcitonality of the phone as well, so you can be taking a picture in the middle of having a conversation for example.

As for the GPRS, its been discussed, and unfortunately the GPRS hardware class (i forget the tpye sorry) only allows one or the other, voice or data. Roll on Canary/Tanager mkII...

Pretty dissapointing when my "lousy" nokia 3510i can GPRS & Voice dial :/

Don't think it can. The Nokia 3510i and SPV are both class B devices. That means it can have voice or GPRS will the ability to interrupt the GPRS session if you get a call. It's supposed to reconnect afterwards but the SPV doesn't appear to. Not sure about the 3510i.

Class A is having both on at the same type but I don't think there are any phones out like this yet, are there?

Pretty good overview to this sort of stuff here if you want:

http://www.9public.com/startgprs.htm

Guest lutzh

Well MSN Messenger is the app that I use most - wether on PC as on SPV. Its cheaper then writing SMS, has always on functionality (just change disconnection time in your data setup) and its smart to sit in a pub, a car @180 km/hour or on the toilet chatting with people....

Cheers, Lutz

Guest lutzh

fixit- i am just talking about the unlimited oportunities...

i would never chat @180kph- because i wouldnt have free hands for my gameboy then....

:-)

cheers, lutz

Guest spacemonkey
Also, come to think of it, why would you use it in the pub?

Some pubs can be quite noisy... it'd make it easier to have a conversation with your friend sitting next to you (assuming he has an SPV too)

It also means you can converse AND keep your mouth free for drinking.