Faster Home Screen?

Guest madu

I was just thinking that the longer the XML file is for the homescreen the slower it is gonna be. Surely 6 preloaded languages for a home.xml is a bit too much.

Is it possible to leave just one language in to reduce size and time it takes to go through the xml picking the right txt strings.

Also the color scheme specified in home.xml is only an option if in Settings>Home>ColourScheme it is set to default. Any way to exclude it in the actual home.xml file and just specify ie Luna scheme. Or is it better when it is in one file??

And 1 more thing - I noticed that when receiving SMS and the counter goes to 1 or x it is very slow entering the inbox if I highlight the counter and click. If I go to Inbox icon on my home screen and click there - it is much faster.. So I'm planning on getting rid of counters on my homescreen.

Food for thought you all. I am at work, so had no time to test it. Pretty sure it must be productive.

Voila!

Guest spacemonkey

Nah... what the phone seems to do is on first load of a homescreen it flattens the XML into the file /IPSM/Application Data/Home/home0.hif

That's why when you change a homescreen, when you return home, your old selection pops up nice and cleanly and then gets refreshed slowly to the new selection.

So yes long or just normal XML takes the phone a while to process but the phone caches the processed form in a nice quick format to make the homescreen quick.

At the end of the day an XML file is just text and I imagine it would be pretty quick to process.

The real time/processing being taken up by the home screen would depend on the number of plugins I would imagine.

Barry