List of apps that will run on a modified SPV

Guest kevlar

OK, I haven't unlocked mine yet, I'll see how everyone else's spv peforms for a few days, but I thought it would be a good idea for those who have done it, to list the apps they have managed to run, and how successfully they run on the SPV. Maybe even post download links for the apps/games concerned.

Kevlar

Guest emsoftsys

Just a thought, with this highly publicised breach of the security of the phone surely Orange will be channeling all there efforts into 'plugging the hole'. The effect being the holdup of the much anticipated update. I would sooner have a phone that works as it should rather than one that will run the odd 'hacked' game.............

Developers won't be releasing hacked games. What this does is make it easier for small/medium developers to test to see if their software works without having to pay exorbitant fees for certification/applying to get a developer phone (no idea how that works). That means they can port it, test it, then submit it for certification for all phones. Mmm.

Talk of this hole, however surely their are legitimate spvs with these different registry values, i mean some developers have uncrippled SPVs, i rekon this is gonna be a hard one to fix!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

If it is just down to registry values, it can't be that hard for O/MS to come up with a patch that changes them back to kick you out of manager mode...I guess we'll see though ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Shouldnt matter if you havent "unlocked" ur phone, cos the reg updates would "reset" the values back to the default ones, which is what they would be anyway.

Not sure if that makes sense but hopefully you get the gyst...

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Shouldnt matter if you havent "unlocked" ur phone, cos the reg updates would "reset" the values back to the default ones, which is what they would be anyway.

What if they apply the "patch" to developers' phones that aren't locked? They'll have to sort them away from common-or-garden users like me or ther'll be some mighty pissed-off developers out there...

Guest rpenhale

Couldn't Orange use this as an opportunity in order to plug the hole. They could provide a useful piece of camera software for free or something else as part of the update which would encourage many people to give up their unlocked phones.

Guest spacemonkey

If it's some files that you need in the update but the update closes the hole you can bet that the files in question will start circulating seperately from the update in no time.

I'm not condoning that sort of thing, just saying what I'd predict. Besides I wouldn't be so sure they'll close the hole.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I doubt it would encourage that many people to give up on certificate-unlocaked phones, many people are wanting to develop their own software, and ifnally the "10,000+ applications" [for wince] are finaly available to us.

I have also been thinking about the arguement over the camera software. Microsoft (who i assume created this part of Smartphone 2002) have been in all sorts of trouble over the past year or two over anti-cometition laws. They provided basic, usable software that is fine for the job it needs to do. For the same reasons they dont develop Wordpad into a Word-like application, even for a slight increase in cost, they havent made the carmera software anything special. How do you think the people over at IA-Style would feel if software, equal or better in quality to their own, was provided free with the phone?

I think Orange and Microsoft are justified in doing this, unfortunately it can't be had both ways. Another Microsoft "we're complying with the lawsuit" excuse it seems.

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

....may as well face it - whatever Orange do to "lock" the phone someone's going to find/develop a hack to circumvent it. It's only ever going to be a matter of time.

I wonder if Orange even considered that by releasing a "computer" phone they'd attract computer-people with their associated craving to mess about with/hack/crack/corrupt/break stuff? Doesn't seem that way : )

PHM Registry editor - works

Monopoly - No Luck

GNUBoy (gameboy emulator) - Black screen then crash

Motor Cross Demo - Loading...... Then bomb out

Allegidly:

Doom works but it dosnt render correctly on a small screen + no controls Pacman works perfectly but again no way to control

Havnt tried eathier of the above.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Alexkass: pay attention

Pocket streets does not owrk ;). And i'm still trying to find a .doc/.xls viewer. Having difficulty finding one that runs alright though :/, found a notepad-tpye app, needs a stylus though as you can _only_ input text, nothing else heheh