Sandisk Wi Fi card and M1000

Guest sgdiesel@yahoo.com

At first I tried the Sandisk Wi Fi + 256Mb ram card, and this definetly does not work.

I now have the basic Sandisk Wi Fi card but I just can not get it to work. I am using a LinkSys AP. It does find the AP and it does connect, but the problem appears to be on DHCP. I am using a 192. IP address, but my device is being allocated a 169 address - allthough if I use some IP shareware it is reporting as 0.0.0.0

The most frustrating bit for me is that is appears as though Sandisk have a huge start on the market here, but there tech support in the UK (and on their .com website) ABSOLUTELY SUCKS

Any help appreciated

If your SanDisk is reporting a 169 address range then its not getting an allocated IP from the DHCP. The 169 range is what it auto configures to when if cant get an address. Have you tried manually assigning it an IP? And is the green light on the adapter flashing or what?

I didnt have any problem getting the SanDisk to connect but I do have a problem keeping it connected and the connection speed from it is awful!

My advice is get a Socket WiFi card, they are much better!

Yes, I agree it is the DHCP, hence the 169 address.

Not sure if I am missing something fundamental, but I can't see anywhere that I can set a static IP, all the boxes are greyed out and I can't find a config screen. Personally I would be perfectly happy to use static IP's

Interesting comment about the Sandisk, all my initial research indicated that the Sandisk was the better device.

Do you know how to set up the static IP?

Also, the green light is on solid. It is also declaring the correct MAC address of the AP, so I know it is connecting - sort of. I am using a LinkSYS AP

I cant comment on the linksys but I have a Dlink wireless access point connected to a seperate dlink adsl router with DHCP. One problem I had with the SanDisk and my setup was that I had to keep resetting the access point after a while with the M1000 connected. I dont have this problem with the Socket card or any other WiFi device.

Cant tell you where the manual IP settings are as I dont use the SanDisk anymore, I had assumed that it would be there somewhere!?

• 2 months later...
Guest SimonRobinson
OK, I have made some progress here.

I have reset the Linksys back to all defaults, and switched off all WEP security. I adjusted the Network Card settings rather than trying to do it from within the Sandisk Card management programme

DHCP is working and I can surf, but it is not secure - yet

Rather than using WEP, would it not be easier to filter by MAC address?

Guest steverae

MAC address filtering is good but people can still hack your network by running tools to scan for such address lists and changing the mac on they net cards to match.....

WEP is always the best bet with a huge key / combined with MAC address filtering and don't forget to turn off SSL broadcast as well for good measure.