Swapping the M2000 battery.

Guest Dade

A few people have raised the question of changing the M2000 battery and are worried about loosing the data on their device.

There is a small 'backup' battery inside the M2000 (M1000 is the same) the retains your data for about 30 mins for when you replace the battery or run out of juice. Just makes sure you have your other battery handy! :)

There is a program on the M2000 called xbackup. If you use this you can back up the entire handset to the 'Storage' memory. The storage folder is part of the ROM and is non-volatile. If you do run out of power away from your PC you can restore from the storage folder with xbackup. I backup to my SD card too!

Guest philgriffiths

Is this battery like a small removable battery, simmlar to the batteries you sometimes get on pc motherboards? just wondering if the time comes if this battery can be replaced?

Its not a user replaceable battery. Its a small lithium rechargable like PC's have.

I think that as its only going to get used when the main battery is swapped of the main battery fails the backup battery will outlive the M2000!

Guest dazza12

I've just had my first problem with the phone regarding changing the battery.

Had the notification that the battery was getting flat, so finished off the text I was writing and sent it. Within about 3 minutes, I shut the phone down (used power button - can't see any way of turning it off properly) and removed the battery. The new battery was clipped on within 20 seconds.

I switch the phone back on, and it's gone and done a hard reset, taking all my data with it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

The annoying thing is that a mate had just sent me a load of texts giving me directions to his new house. I'd hate to have to get him to send them again!

Guest philgriffiths

Just noticed this in the manual downloaded from the orange website:

Please remember that you should keep your M2000

battery charged at all times. If your battery runs out of power, there

is a chance that you could lose all of the data that you have saved

to your phone since you purchased it.

Usually, if your battery powers down, your data will be safe for a maximum

of 72 hours – simply recharge your phone within that timeframe.

If you remove the main battery from your phone for any reason, there is

an internal backup battery that keeps your data safe for 20 minutes;

however, it is important to ensure that this is at least 50% full. To check

this, tap windows icon ,then Settings, then the System tab. Now tap Power.

yeah i did that to test about 30mins into its initial charge... it'll lose the data if ur backup battery isnt full.

If your with your cradle/charger just plug it in and remove the battery whilst connected to a power source.

Guest dazza12

The battery had been charged overnight, and the internal battery was 100% when I removed it.

I've set the unit to backup fully when it's cradled from now on. It won't get back any data entered whilst out of the cradle, but at least I don't lose everything now.

Guest dearsina

Is it me or is it a bit amazing the the entire OS is on a flash memory that earases itself when the battery goes flat? It would the same as having XP loaded on to a RAM drive, in other words very silly.

sina

london

M2000, Days owned: 1. Unwanted hard resets: 1