Voice dial over bluetooth headset

Guest jezza1

I have read that Windows Mobile 2003 SE does not provide support for voice dialling over Bluetooth (ie press button on headset - speak number - get connected, without touching the phone)

Does voice dialling over Bluetooth work with any of the third party voice apps (MS Voice Command,Fonix Voice Dial, Cyberon Voicecommander etc) ?

I asked Fonix if VoiceDial or VoiceCentral can initiate calls directly from a Bluetooth headset - here's their reply:

"At this point in time we do not support Bluetooth operations directly. If the Bluetooth drivers support taking over the microphone input then it will work, if not then the Bluetooth headset will only work when the phone is activated"

It's a Clue! I don't have a Bluetooth headset yet so am not sure if the "Bluetooth drivers" are headset-specific or if they come with the Windows Mobile 2003 SE OS - either way, is there a Bluetooth driver that works?

jezza1

(mutter mutter expect this post will be listed as off-topic like most of my other posts mutter mutter)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest psneddon

I am also very interested in getting this to work also. Both the C500 and the MPX allow you to do this so its not the fault of the Windows Mobile 2003 SE software. I'm taking a look at the registry and bluetooth dll and driver files tonight to see if I can get it working. I'm interested to know if the OS actually picks up the button press and generates a windows message for it - I'm going to see if the PPC SDK has any tools that will help me with that side of it tonight.

Paul

Guest wideawake

I too am very interested in this.

I have tried both Fonix and Vito Voicedialer with negative results using an I-Tech bluetooth set.

I do however have a workaround - not elegant though!!

I have Wildfire active on my Orange account - I leave orange answer phone as my last dialled number on my M2000, then use the bluetooth button on the I-Tech (two rapid button clicks) this redials my last number.

I then am connected to widfire and can dial my contacts using voice.

Not too sure of the costs involved.....

But it works.

Guest broughs

Great idea. I will try this as well, but it still does not solve the basic fundamental issue of using a bluetooth headset to voice dial.

This is the only real downside I have experienced since moving away from the C500.

Stu

Guest psneddon

Well I mucked about with moving some dll's and registry settings from the C500 to the jam. Although the dll's did seem to work I still cant voice dialling working. I really do think that it is implemented by the OEM, it has nothing to do with the bluetooth "stack", the stack is a full implementation. If I look inside some of the dll's on the C500 (htcheadset.dll, oemagw.dll, btagsrv.dll) I can see that that is were the code is that allows the voice dialling. All the dll's work when tranferred except btagsrv.dll (BT Audio gateway Service). Its the fact that the other files are named htcheadset (HTC who make the devices) and oemagw (OEM) that make me think that HTC are the ones that we should be speaking to.

Another thing I noticed is that if I move the registry settings from the C500 under (Hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/speech) it enables "add voice tag" in the contacts menu. I moved over the speech engine from the C500 which is really Cyberon Voice commander and the engine didnt seem to work as the record and playback buttons in the "add voice tag" dialog didnt work.

I think our best bet just now is if someone can dump the rom from the MPX and we use the DLL's from that. I really think if we tranfer over the required files and registry settings we could get any ppc device to support voice dialling.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest broughs

I have just updated my imate Jam and the new version 1.06UK now wakes the Jam up properly when you do a re-dial from your bluetooth headset. This now makes using Wildfire a dream and for the first time I now have a truely functional voice dial service.

Thanks for the tip Wideawake

Stu

• 2 months later...
Guest tonytech

Hi, am using HTC Harrier, jabra BT headset, had some joy using this with Microsoft Voice Command, only for phone calls, but not able to voice dial through BT headset, used MS Voice command to dial then BT would come online after dialing, answering was via button on headset.

However because we cant get MS Voice Command in NZ , had to try another program, Fonix Voice Dial 2.0 and Fonix Voice Central 3.0 bluetooth headset wont connect anymore ;) anyone else find these issues? :?:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Blakey

ETEN M500 supports this. You can set the button on the BT headset to activate a program - like any button on the phone itself. So you set it to start up Voice Commander (which is ETEN's own built in software) and that allows you to voice dial someone. Meanwhile the phone sits in your bag/pocket/car charger. Perfect.

Blakey

Guest khyllion

All pocketPC phones using the Microsoft Bluetooth stack are unable to do this ... it's an hardware problem and not software... :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
So how does the ETEN get around it?   Is it that it has its own BT stack?

Blakey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=128672

Stack the Bluetooth implemented in the Eten M500 has been realized from the same Eten on the base of stack the Microsoft.

The society has enriched it, and this is now in a position to offering the following profiles: Service Discovery, Headset and Hands-free, Dial-up, Object Exchange, Generic Access, Serial Port and Gateway-audio.

This last one is of great importance, since beyond guaranteeing I listen of the sounds of system or the reproduced MP3 in cap (optional), allows the operation of the application Voice Commander (about which we will speak in the next page), concurring to directly command the device from a Bluetooth earpiece.

E' instead absent profile PAN (Person Network Area), that it would have allowed the device to approach Internet in presneza of points of Bluetooth access.

Its NOT hardware, its the lack of profiles in the vanilla M$ stack.

Edited by rmg

Guest travisb

This is somewhat related in that I have a Parrot CK3000 BT car kit. The car kit (for those unfamiliar with it) has a call answer and end button. These both work with my MDAIII (soon to be returned and an M2000 in it's place - don't ask!). Also if you hold in the answer button, it redials the last number (either called or received).

Edited by travisb

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prodigalfish99

Hello to all...new to this forum.

According to the pre-review on the PDA Gold site, the Eten M500 does Not use the MS BT stack but its very own customized stack.

I've only glimpsed a few reviews on this device and I'm already sold just by the voicedial factor alone. Does everything my mda2 does and then some, smaller, cheaper, and of course...BT voicedial.

I haven't seen any release date for the upcoming M600- basically the same thing but black instead of silver and built-in wifi. Nonetheless I will get one or the other soon enough.

• 1 month later...
Guest uzi_999

::question for anyone with a bluetooth headset, which supports both, headset & handsfree profiles::

if you go into a recording program, e.g the in-built notes recorder, can you still record by using the mic on the bluetooth headset???

if you can, then i dont see the problem,, as the mic on the bluetooth headset just 'replaces' the mic ont the bottom of the device..

or an i just simply wrong?? :-(

Dear all,

A thread is running on XDA_Developers for all discussion related to getting voice command working over bluetooth, i.e you push the button on your headset and the Voice Command activates.

This functionality has been achieved on the Eten M500, which uses the M$ bluetooth stack

See

http://translate.google.com/transla...Flanguage_tools

Paul has made some progress (he can get the jam to bleep when the headset button is pressed!!11) ;-) but we would welcome input from anyone with good bluetooth knowledge, or you are welcome to just to see what we can achieve.

The thread is at http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=23558

Regards.

--

rmg.

Guest Baldrick45

UZI_999

Just go to the home page HERE and look at the latest forum topics (bottom left corner) you'll see one for VCABT (voice command activation over bluetooth).

That's the one you want. Otherise drill down into the main magician forum and you'll see it on the first page.

Nice one 8) Paul/RMG !! 8)

Edited by Baldrick45