Questions (thought it best to make a topic about questions)

Guest theanarch1st

Guest theanarch1st

Seein as i'm asking a lot of questions and other people have asked questions, i thought it best to make a post with all my questions in instead of just making new topics each time

1. How do you send a file via bluetooth to another device?? i can received files i just can't send thim. Tried sending to a V500 but it didn't work (this si through the bluetooth manager) is there any program like Smart Explorer for smartphone which has a send via bluetooth functiion in it? cause file explorer and resco explorer don't it seems unless i'm missing something

2. How do you zoom in using the camera? it says 1.00x zoom so i guess its just me presuming you can otherwise why would it be there??? (suppose it could be due to standard software)

3. (from another post) how do you stop the phone from syncing after you have told it to turn off while its in the cradle? it keeps syncing and turning the phone back on even tho i have set active sync to sync manually, only way i have got it to stop is turn off sync on connect

4. Are there any free plugins for the home screen which display battery power, give a task switiching ability or just close the application.

5. The camera quality when taking pictures on 640 x 480 seems to be less clear than on the medium setting, its much better to film a scene and take a picture from it than it is to actually take a picture

6. Opening some links in PocketIE mainly downloads tends to open the link as the source and not actually download the file or open it in media player, is there any fix for this or any other browser you coulld recommend?

I'll probably have some more questions no doubt but for now i hope someone can help :)

Hi, Ill try and help you with your questions there.

1. You should be able to send files via bluetooth using file manager. If you hold your stylus down on the file you want to send and then choose beam file you should be able to do it that way.

2. You can only use the zoom on the camera if you lower the resolution, its a bit of a cheat actually! :)

3. I have mine set to sync on connection only and I can then turn it off in the cradle - try that. Thats activesync on the PC by the way.

4. There is a free bettery monitor that I found on tucows but I cant tell you the name as I now use Spb Gprs monitor which also has a bettery monitor. Its worth the few quid!

5. ok

6. I think this is down to the site you are trying to download from. You could try the Thunderhawk browser though.

Guest theanarch1st

o so when it says searching on the beam screen is that the bluetooth searching??? i thought it meant IR was :( will try it 2morro

Got the zoom working :) u have to press up n down on keyboard don't ya lol i was tappin the screen all over the show

i'll try thunderhawk see how it goes

Have another question regarding the WiFi

it sometimes seems to lock in a loop where it thinks it has a connection but doesn't so i have to reset the phone by pushin the stylus in underneath and then start it up again, dunno if this happens on all m2000 but its happenin on mine, mainly when i've come bk and re activated it not on the first inital connection.

i can't think of any other troubles i've had yet, if i do have anymore i shall post here

Dade: have you heard back from orange about the charging for 16bit msgs yet?

Guest martinjclarke

hey, I am having trouble getting registered with Orange - not getting any SIM updates. Orange can't really understand it - did this work ok for everyone else or is there something I'm missing???

Guest zarquon
I am having trouble getting registered with Orange - not getting any SIM updates.

When I registered my M2000 I had both my old phone and new on. The old phone went off-line in about half an hour but nothing on my M2000. After about 3 hours I took the main battery out and put it back. Phone rebooted, a text message arrived within 30 seconds and signal bars appeared on the screen. I deleted the message and did the battery thing again and all was well.

Guest RussellH

After months of deciding and waiting, I'm finally the proud owner of an SPV M2000, and I love it. I admit it's pretty huge for a phone, but well worth living with for all the features it has. Thanks Dade for all your help and advice on here. Orange should pay you commission! Got a couple of questions though.

I see there doesn't appear to be a facility to change between different profiles. While this doesn't matter too much, it does mean that I need to manually adjust the ringtone volume instead. I need it silent at work, loud when I'm out and about, and a low volume at night, so it doesn't wake the whole neighbourhood! The thing is, if I reduce the ringtone volume, it also reduces the alarm volume, so it doesn't wake me up! Is there any way to set a low ringtone volume and loud alarm at the same time?

Also, I see that I can add ringtones to the device, which is great. Is it also possible to add my own alarm sound, as none of those already there make particularly useful alarms for waking people up! If so, how?

Finally, Orange don't appear to have any accessories for this device yet. Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth car hands free kit that works with the M2000 - preferable one without the need to stick anything in my ear?

Thanks in anticipation.

Russell

Guest raiderz

I got my M2000 Monday and I have noticed one annoyance with it, when its in my pocket, the keyboard seems to slide out a little way on its own, I always have to slide it back in a couple of mm, does anyone else have this problem, and/or a cure to solve it?

Do the torx screws at the top adjust the tightness of the sliding keyboard?

Guest philgriffiths
Also, I see that I can add ringtones to the device, which is great.  Is it also possible to add my own alarm sound, as none of those already there make particularly useful alarms for waking people up!  If so, how?Russell
If you copy the sound file you want to use into the windows folder on your M2000 you should be able to select it as the alarm sound. (the path for mine was "My Computer/Mobile Device/My Pocket PC/Windows". This method should work for attaching any sound to any notification on the M2000 (thanks to Dade for this one)

Finally, Orange don't appear to have any accessories for this device yet.  Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth car hands free kit that works with the M2000 - preferable one without the need to stick anything in my ear?Russell

I would (and intend to when i get the cash) go for one of the parrot car kits. They are available from the modaco shop. You can have one which is just the basic hands free kit, or one with built in GPS (although i understand you still need to buy the GPS software as well)

Guest RussellH

Thanks Phil and thanks Dade. Now had the phone for three days, and I'm loving it more all the time. Just noticed that if you miss a call, the light flashes red, so you can tell, even when the screen's off. Very handy.

Glad you've recommended Parrot hands free kits. I've seen the reviews on Modaco before, and was hoping this would be compatable with the M2000.

I'm glad it is possible to change the alarm tone. Still can't see a way to get round not having profiles. Would be nice to change various pre-determined settings to a different set of pre-determined settings as required. If anybody figures out a way to reduce ringtone volume but without reducing the alarm volume, please let me know.

Appart from that, this device really is perfect for my needs. Can't help thinking that Orange / HTC / Microsoft do keep an eye on this site. They seem to have taken into account all the issues raised by people here about previous models and acted accordingly. If handset size is an issue to you, I can understand why you may prefer something smaller. Otherwise, I'd recommend this device to anyone. Well though out, feature rich, and not riddled with bugs. Respect!

Guest raiderz
If anybody figures out a way to reduce ringtone volume but without reducing the alarm volume, please let me know.

You could always use Novosec's SmartFilter, and set up a night time profile so that during the night (lets say 22:30 till 06:00) so all calls would automatically go to the voice mail, leaving the sound up for the alarm.

I'm sure there will be an easier way than this, but I use SmartFilter to block calls from people I don't want to ring me during the night.

Have had the problem where the device keeps turning itself back on when in the cradle but this also seems to happen when just lying on the desk - anyone else experienced this?

Other major annoyance - no way to specify 'File As' field in contacts. Have to set it in outlook then sync. Was possible to specify this on my original SPV - can't believe the functionality has been removed.

Guest theanarch1st

imt21 its not called File as on the M2000

if you go into the contact in contacts then go to categories

you can assign the category to which the person belongs

(i think that is what you mean by file as neway)

otherwise haven't got a clue

I'm talking about the setting that allows your contact to be shown as First Name, Last Name or Last Name, First Name - it's called File As in Outlook Contacts.

Guest RussellH

I would just divert calls to voicemail at night, but still need to be contactable in emergencies. I just don't want the call to wake everyone else in the house. Had a thought though. I could record a second copy of my ringtone, but at a much lower level than the original. I could then swap between the loud and quiet version as required. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Guest RussellH

Am now looking to make my M2000 legal in the car. Phil said he was planning to get one from Parrot. I want to get the Driveblue model that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. Just want to check it's fully compatable, and that I can make calls without having to touch the phone. The device doesn't appear to have a way of assigning voice tags to contacts. I know there's software available like Fonix phone dial, but don't know if they will work in conjunction with the M2000 or the Parrot Driveblue. Any ideas?

Guest theanarch1st

I don't know about in car kits cause i can't drive yet :)

but i have another question

i can't send MMS's, it says i must connect to vpn or i must add a new modem or msgs such as this i have tried a lot of things, connected to gprs then tried to send it, connected to wifi then tried to send, just tried to send but all come up with the same msgs, any ideas???

Guest RussellH

One new thing I've noticed, though not a massive issue in the grand scheme of things. I've set the alarm so it wakes me at the same time every weekday morning. I then leave the phone overnight with the screen backlight off - no point having the screen lit at night for various reasons. Next morning, the alarm goes off, but doesn't activate the screenlight. As a result, I can't see where to switch the alarm off or activate snooze until I press the button on the top to switch on the backlight. Having tried this for the last couple of mornings, I can confirm that this is not easy when you're half asleep. Does anybody know if there's a option anywhere to get the alarm to activate the screen light?

Guest RussellH

Still trying to figure out what car kits and voice software are jointly compatable with the M2000. Orange customer services didn't know. Accessories department don't have any accessories for this device yet. They gave me anumber for the Orange Car Kit Helpline. They recommended the "Safe To Talk" universal bluetooth kit, available from Orange Accessories for £69.99. They couldn't confirm if the Parrot Driveblue would work or not. Can't seem to find any UK number for Parrot, so I can't ask them directly. Does anybody here know if the "Safe To Talk" kit is any good. Will it work with Fonix Voice software? Is the volume sufficient? Is it reliable? I'm now off to call the Orange software helpline number they gave me to ask about Fonix.

Guest RussellH

I seem to be making a single handed bid to keep this topic alive!!! For anyone who's interested, I've received the Parrot DriveBlue device and I can confirm that it does work well with the M2000. It pairs immediately, and transfers calls to the device as it should. Because the M2000 doesn't support voice tags, I still have to touch the device to make an outgoing call. I'm hoping Fonix VoiceDial will be the answer to my problem, as I don't fancy being arrested for touching the phone in my car! Thing is, when I visit the Fonix website, it doesn't mention a version for "Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phone Edition". It does however have a verison for "Pocket PC 2003". I'm guessing these are not the same, and have e-mailed Fonix asking them if their product is compatable with the M2000. It's not listed in their "Supported Devices" section, though that could be because it's so new. Does anybody here know? Thanks in anticipation. Russell

Russell -

I swapped emails with a guy from Fonix Marketing department re VoiceDial a couple of weeks ago - they have just "stopped selling the product retail so are no longer supporting it" - not sure if this means they are dropping it altogether or going to sell it through resellers instead.

He did say it was about to be removed from their website..

jezza1

Guest raiderz

I'm thinking of getting a handsfree b/t kit, but what happens when the user has been away from the car, does it pair without having to touch the device when the ignition is switched on for example??

Guest RussellH

Had another skim through Dade's review, and noticed my Fonix query is answered there. Apologies for not checking before making the earlier post! Thanks jezza1 for the tip off about the product possibly being discontinued. Quickly downloaded the free trial last night. As Dade said in his review that the M1000 version seems to work Ok on the M2000, that's the one I got. Works very well, and if Bluetooth is on, it transfers the call to the Parrot Driveblue - cool! The only negative, as Dade pointed out in the review, is that you have to press the button on the phone and speak the instructions into the phone, and not into the Parrot. Shame, as it means you still need to keep the M2000 to hand. I guess keeping in a cradle in the car rather than in my pocket will keep it accessible. Now I know everything works OK, I guess I'd better buy the full version of Fonix, before it disappears from their website.