Phone call problems?

Guest raiderz

Guest raiderz

I keep getting missed call texts from Orange, and people leaving answerfone messages but the phone doesn't ring. Signal level is 3 or 4 bars, try ringing again and it works ok. Anybody else getting this and any possible remedies?

Guest richardkings

Gave up using m2000 as phone!

got a low user contract with nokia 6230 and decent gprs package and swapped the sim cards round so use my main number with 6230 and new number on m2000. Found that as a phone was disappointed with m2000 but as a data device very pleased.

Guest raiderz

Well to call it (and market it as) a phone, its misleading advertising on the part of Orange, if its not gonna work as a phone, and they are primarily a telecommunications company its an own goal by them, and its a fairly massive one at that.

I think I sussed out why, I diabled GPRS and my m2000 has suddenly become useful as a phone! Had it disabled for 24 hours now and i've had no dropped calls.

Am I right in assuming when GPRS is activated (ie the G symbol) it is impossible to make phone calls either in or out?

• 1 month later...
Guest MrOrangeShop
Well to call it (and market it as) a phone, its misleading advertising on the part of Orange, if its not gonna work as a phone, and they are primarily a telecommunications company its an own goal by them, and its a fairly massive one at that.

I think I sussed out why, I diabled GPRS and my m2000 has suddenly become useful as a phone! Had it disabled for 24 hours now and i've had no dropped calls.

Am I right in assuming when GPRS is activated (ie the G symbol) it is impossible to make phone calls either in or out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no problem doing this... unless it's a prob with the M2000???

Edited by MrOrangeShop

Guest Chaser81

Unless the GPRS is active, in which case it could be diverting all your calls to answerphone (since it thinks an ongoing data call is in progress). GPRS is supposed to automatically suspend in the event of an incoming call to allow it to proceed. There could be a bug with the phone preventing this from occuring. I would suggest hanging in there until the eventual ROM update!

Guest Chaser81

Yeah, thats what I said, but the GPRS is suspended when the call is in progress. If, because of some bug on the phone, the GPRS doesnt suspend, then the call will not be put through.

I remember seeing a training manual that O2 supplied my shop with years ago about GPRS when it was first launched, and it stated that there were two types of GPRS (lets say A and B for arguements sake).

Type A allows people to be both browsing the internet WHILST engaged in a phone call (in other words you can call and use GPRS at the same time).

Type B automatically suspends GPRS whilst the call is in progress whilst maintaining the connection so that you can resume browsing once you have finished your call straight away.

As far as I know, all UK GPRS phones are Type B. The connection is maintained when a call comes in, but you cannot use GPRS at the same time whilst the call is in progress. The phone automatically suspends GPRS when a call comes in, and you resume your internet session when the call is over. If, because of a bug, the phone NEVER suspended the GPRS session, it would continually remain active, and would prevent an incoming call (because with Type B, you cant do both at the same time).

Guest raiderz

I changed the settings in Connections, there is Networks button, and i changed the drop down box from Orange World to My Work Network, this is effectively a GPRS on/off option.

I don't seem to have any problems now getting calls through, if I need GPRS I can enable it before I use it.

Guest martinlaidlaw

I'm starting to get this problem with my MDAIII on T-Mobile.

Just tested it now, I've got only one bar of signal (crap signal at work) but surely I should still receive a call?

Dialled twice from the land line and it went straight to voicemail, third time I tried it rang!

anyone else getting this?

Guest Pondrew

Not had this problem on my MDA III and I live in a low signal area so probably not that. The original SPV Smartphone suffered from the problem of being unable to receive calls while using GPRS but I understood that the M2000 could. Will try and test it and let y'all know what I find...

• 2 months later...
Guest extravagant
Not had this problem on my MDA III and I live in a low signal area so probably not that. The original SPV Smartphone suffered from the problem of being unable to receive calls while using GPRS but I understood that the M2000 could. Will try and test it and let y'all know what I find...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes u can be on a call and GPRS at the same time..

Guest Jay247

mhanbury,

it's easy to disable GPRS on the O2 Xda IIs. On the O2 Active Screen, click on Tools - Connections. Now select GSM instead of GPRS. Whenever the phone attempts to contact the network for MMS or WAP, it'll use a dial-up line.

Quite nifty: comes out of your free minutes package;

but takes a loooot longer to do your data business.