Ringtones

Guest DylJones

Guest DylJones

I prefer to have a 'real' ringtone on my phone. Have done for a while now. I had Coldplay's Clocks on my P900 and at the moment I'm using Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke on my M1000.

The main thing I want to know is: Why doesn't the M1000 support MP3 ringtones?

I copied a few songs onto my phone with the intention of swapping them around every so often but found that only WMA's work as ringtones. I also put some WAV's in the My Documents folder and it thought they were notes and tried to sync them with Outlook! What's going on?

Another thing I'm after is different ringtones for different people/groups. It's not hard is it? My Nokia 3410 (supplied by work, used under duress :)) can do it! Why can't my super duper windows powered mega phone manage it?

/end rant

Ahem, sorry. Lost control for a minute there :(

Anyway, anyone know how I can do it and why I can't use MP3's?

Guest ricmoo2003

Why would you want MP3's they are big in size, you can get windows media encoder for free and convert your MP3 clips into much smaller files in a wma format, which to be honest sound no different if not better on the small speaker of these phones.

Bear in mind you can only hear the first 20 seconds of any ringtone anyway before you voicemail cuts in so why have a whole MP3 as a ringtone.

I use Sound Forge fron sonic foundry to cut pieces of music from tracks and add fade ins/outs and save the file as a wav then convert it using Media encoder, the whole process takes me about 3 minutes from start to finish.

Soon i am hoping that sum bright developer will pickup on this mp3 ringtone/caller thing and develop an app to handle this for us, but untill that happens were stuck with WMA's, but i don't see it as a problem.

There is an app to allow assigning rings to different callers but i can't remember it's name at the moment.

Richard

Guest DylJones

Awesome! That's just the info I wanted.

If you do remember the name of the app for different ringtones please let me know.

I'm off to find Sonic Forge and a media encoder...

Guest unicron
Awesome! That's just the info I wanted.

If you do remember the name of the app for different ringtones please let me know.

I'm off to find Sonic Forge and a media encoder...

hello... i have app called ringtonex it lets you apply wma to people in your contacts :)

Guest DylJones

Cool. Thanks for that! I now have ringtonex loaded. just need the time to play around with it.

WORD OF WARNING!!!

I also installed the other apps from MTUX, including TodayX. When installed, it removed the MMS Item from Today and I can't get it back even though I've removed TodayX.

If anyone else has experienced this, I'd be grateful of advice.

It's not worth a hard reset but I really want it back.

• 3 months later...
Guest mrplatypus
hello... i have app called ringtonex it lets you apply wma to people in your contacts :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, how about adding a link to download it here?? :D

Ta, Mr Platypus ..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest baby harddrive

I'm addressing the topic rather than the strand...

I'm having a problem with software on my mda refusing to accept a user defined ringtone for a photo contact.

It doesn't seem to have a problem accepting the mp3 tune. Or at least I'm given that impression from the preview. But what I've noticed is a voice announces the caller, while the ringtone works maybe once then the tune switches to a default ringtone.??

This problem may well have started after I installed voice command, but I really can't remember. I don't have a problem with the ms technology, which may have speech aspects that provide an announcement facility but I'm new to the software, so don't know.

Do I have to change any settings for either program? Can anyone help?

And as an aside rant... what's the point of a find program that can't locate anything?

• 2 months later...
Guest gibbo_ap
Another thing I'm after is different ringtones for different people/groups. It's not hard is it? My Nokia 3410 (supplied by work, used under duress ;)) can do it! Why can't my super duper windows powered mega phone manage it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i remember hearing that there is a newer version of photo contacts that allows group ring tones but i could never find it. if you have better luck please message thing me or somthing