Understanding the phantom "05" text messages.

Guest BeyondtheTech

Guest BeyondtheTech

While I'm more happy with my Audiovox SMT5600 on Cingular that was unlocked and converted over from AT&T Wireless, I came upon a little anomaly in the notifications.

Every once in a while, I would receive a text message from "05" with no message body. I simply thought I was either being spammed or was an inadvertent message of some sort.

At the same time, I just happen to check my voicemail and noticed I had a few unread messages.

With a little Google-ing, I stumbled on the answer. It appears that these "05" text message notifications are the result of the carrier trying to tell the phone that a voicemail has arrived. One user here wrote that it shows up twice, once before listening to his messages, and once after. It appears to be a side-effect of converted phones not originally branded and tested by the current wireless carrier.

Conclusion: The "05" message is a toggle for the voicemail notification icon. The converted SMT5600 hasn't showed the voicemail icon on the top status bar since I received the phone. I browsed my wife's entire registry on her MPx220 for "05" or "voicemail" or "vmail" and found nothing of value that could be ported over to the SMT5600.

I'm thinking it's probably hardcoded into the firmware or in the databases where events and other notifications are stored.

I would appreciate anyone who has any insight or technical ability to peer into their phone's system or general knowledge of PocketPC Phone Editions/Smartphones to see if this could be resolved. Apparently, there has also been a "movement" with disgruntled T-Mobile users who have been having a similar issue of their carrier sending SMS messages instead of using the phone's own voicemail notification icons.

Another alternative is if someone could trigger the 05 text message with a third-party app to force the voicemail icon on & off, or pop up a window, and delete the message automatically, that would be greatly appreciated.