Samsung i645 - CDMA-based smartphone with 3g!

Guest squall

We knew this phone would be launched at CES, however It was not known before hand that this is the first MS smartphone to have 3g data capability.

Source: Infosync world

post-2019-1105366079_thumb.jpg

Finally, a CDMA-based Windows Mobile smartphone which doesn't take a back seat to GSM versions: Michael Oryl probes the fully featured Samsung i645 at CES.

Here at CES 2005 in Las Vegas, Korean giant Samsung was showing off their new Windows Mobile 2003 SE powered i645, a clamshell handset that runs not only the latest version of Microsoft's Smartphone platform, but also offers EV-DO 3G data capabilities.

This combination means that you will be able to use the built-in Pocket Inbox mail client and Pocket Internet Explorer application at speeds that are approaching the rates many people experience with their home DSL service. Naturally there is also Microsoft's Media Player application for playing video clips and music files. While the 32 MB of built-in RAM won't be enough for a lot of video clips and music, you can augment that by inserting a SD flash memory card into the i645.

That in itself would be enough to get the attention of most people, but the i645 actually has more going for it than the just OS and high-speed 3G data. The i645 also has a built in 1.0 Megapixel camera.

I did find that the TI OMAP1610 processor that powers the device seemed a bit overtaxed by everything that was going on - even when there was no active call or data connection. This could easily be chalked up to relatively early state of the device, but we'll not know for sure until the device is finally available for real. Samsung has not announced when the dual-band CDMA i645 will be available, nor have they said which US CDMA network will be offering it first.

Its worth noting that this phone would not work in the UK or most of Europe. This goes for the voice and data services. The standards for EV-DO are not the same as that used in the UK.

Information on price and availability in the US will be posted when we have it.

Guest nickcornaglia

Great news for all my Verizon friends who have been stuck with the i600. This phone is still kinda ugly...but better than the i600!!!

Edited by nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia
i like the look of the phone from the inside. Will need to get pics of the silver version from the outside. It also seems that the ariel is retractable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MSMobileNews has another pic with the black inside

The i640 (the no camera version) is much nicer looking from the outside. I hope Verizon makes the i640 available as I don't really have the desire for the camera.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lenraphaelcpa

nor does it beef up the puny processor and ram which make it unlikely the vendors of hardware firewalls or of full featured wireless synching apps will try to shoehorn a client to run on this platform.

Edited by lenraphaelcpa

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.