Ipod, Zen Touch and Rio Karma technical questions

Guest Brendan

Guest Brendan

A few questions about the hard drives inside these units. As some may know, they are interchangable with other small mp3 players, and obvoiusly the drives themselves come in different capacities.

They are 1.8" size (aka "slim" hitachi travelstars). Thats smaller then the common 2.5" drive that laptops use.

Now my questions is this, do the current 3rd- 4th gen ipod use these Hitachi Travelstar C4K40 1.8" drive? Or a similar brand 1.8" drive?

I have a Creative Zen Touch 20gb and Rio Karma 20gb, both using the same hitachi drive.

Seen here (the hitachi) Far left is a standard sized laptop drive, 2 really small ones are microdrives:

http://www.hitachigst.com/port...4f0a0

Slim-Mikey-in-line.gif

hgsttravelstarc4k40x0x1.jpg

"Another size reduction of 1.8-inch Travelstar® drives to 5mm z-height.

Travelstar “Slim” implements the femto slider for higher shock tolerance and delivers lower power consumption for longer battery life.

This "Slim" drive is ideal for higher capacity CE devices including portable digital audio and media players, and external storage"

"28% smaller in volume (54mm x 71mm x 5mm)

one-disk version (5mm), 30 – 40GB capacity

two-disk version (8mm), 60 – 80GB capacity

10 – 20% lower power consumption

10 - 20% shock improvement

Parallel ATA and CE-ATA (future) interfaces"

What I want to know, are the larger sized drives that apple offer be able to physically fit into the zen and the rio.

I know the 40gb and new 60gb (photo version) ipods have slightly larger dememsions, probably beause the drives themselves are bigger. On a side note, the creative zen touch, no matter what size HD, the overall dimension of the unit are identical.

What im trying to do here is upgrade my zen touch from 20gb to 40gb. I would like to do the same with the rio, but being that its soo much smaller, I doubt it has the room inside for it.

Ohh and if your wondering, I know a shop owner in chinatown that has great deals on the (VERY RARE) hard drives. Better than online prices.

Some pics for the hell of it (im bored):

group%20small.jpg

rio%20installed%20small.JPG

rio%20dollar%20small.jpg

Dollar shown for size

rio%20zen%20dollar%20small.JPG

High res versions of those pics can be seen here:

http://www.brendanmx5.com/RIO/