Does PC overclock decrease time its using?

Guest Bam1234

Guest Bam1234

Eg. if dont overclock, it'll b able 2 use about 5 years. However, if I do overclock, it might be about 2 years remain.... is this true? can you guyz tell me a little bit about this? Are there anyone here do overclock with your own PC? Thankz a lot.

Well, this is theoretically true, but in real life I would be so bold as to say that it doesn't matter at all ... Unless, of course, you're doing insane stuff like cooling your gear with liquid nitrogen or whatever ...

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

No, not true. Staright over clocking does not have any affect on the life of the processor (assuming it is properly cooled of course...). What _will_ affect it is if you up the core voltage to the processor, as this can put too much strain on the CPU and cause it to burn out prematurely...

Guest nobznss
No, not true.  Staright over clocking does not have any affect on the life of the processor (assuming it is properly cooled of course...).  What _will_ affect it is if you up the core voltage to the processor, as this can put too much strain on the CPU and cause it to burn out prematurely...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, and normally you don't have a choice but to up your voltage to get a half way decent overclock. Each processor is different, IE my P4 E hardly requires a voltage increase to get a stable 500 MHz OC. But if you want to get a stable OC you're going to have to do it. And I would agree that it really doesn't matter how long the CPU lasts. I mean honestly, do you ever plan to own a computer for more than a few years? By then it'll be completely out of date. :D

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Agreed :D Having said that my 2500 Barton easily clocked up to 2.2Ghz (3200+) with no need to change to core voltage. I could up it more but i like to keep my temps nice and cool :D

Guest mike-oh

anyone managed to weld one to a mother board yet? #-o :D My old MB used to have redstorm overclocking built in which made it easy peasy!

i'd give it a go but i'm pretty sure that my clock speed is locked with it being a Dell. add to that warranty issues etc.

/me goes off to look about soft modding his graphics card instead :twisted: :-"

Edited by mike-oh