ActiveSync

Guest rewe

When i connect my C500 with my desktop (windows xp), ActiveSync does the following:

-> "looking for changes"

-> "xx files not sychronised"

thats all great... but after, when it's starting to synchronise it interrupts connection

-> " not connected"

what could be the problem? too many files to transfer (>200 contacts)...?

thanxx for your help!

Edited by rewe

Guest Confucious

I have over 500 contacts, I believe it can cope with a lot more than that so it's not the number of contacts.

What version of Outlook/ActiveSync/WinXP are you using?

Have you run the PST checker on the PC to make sure the data isn't corrupt?

How are you connecting to the PC, USB or BT?

Guest Confucious

I should have thought of that. In fact I did but for some reason I thought he was trying to Sync FROM Outlook TO the phone not the other way round.

My brain obviously isn't in gear today.

• 4 weeks later...
I have over 500 contacts, I believe it can cope with a lot more than that so it's not the number of contacts.

What version of Outlook/ActiveSync/WinXP are you using?

Have you run the PST checker on the PC to make sure the data isn't corrupt?

How are you connecting to the PC, USB or BT?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using Outlook 2002 version 10.0 on XP home 5.1, Active sync is 3.7.1, connecting with usb

and yes, i restored the data (contacts + calendar) from orange restore... may this be the point why my desktop computer doesnt accept the files / interrupts connection?

Guest shaggyguitarist

I just upgraded to c500 from mpx200. i backed up just before my mpx died. I was never able to sync to my pc with my mpx, but with my c5oo I can at least get a recognition of my phone. I tried the version 3.8, and still get no success. any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VailsMom

My month-old Mpx220 (on AT&T, Mobile 2003 SE, Version 4.21.1088, build 14256.1,1.0) synced perfectly with Outlook the first time, but when I attempted to re-sync, the phone said it was connected, then gave me this error message: "Communications Error. Cannot connect to PC due to an unexpected Winsock services error" and suggested that I try again and/or reset my device. I've spent probably 20-30 hours working on this problem.

Please forgive me if I've posted incorrectly...I've been reading posts for 2 hours, looking for an issue similar to mine. This looks close, so help if you can.

I run XP Home 2002 SP2, Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6714) SP3, upgraded to ActiveSync 3.8, using USB. The PC and ActiveSync will sometimes recognize the phone as guest, sometimes will just continuously try to sync to no avail, and rarely will attempt to set up a partnership (I deleted the original partnership trying to solve this problem) only to get to the final step only to pop up an error "a partnership could not be established due to a system error" and suggest that I do a shut down/restart to correct the problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync, done shut-down/restarts on both the phone and the PC. I disable McAfee while attempting a Sync.

The AT&T rep replaced the phone within the 30 day window because of this, but it made no difference. Until I get this sorted out, I'm using my son's computer and copying my contacts and calendar to my Outlook profile on his PC. It's not convenient, but it's effective. :roll:

Thanks very much for any help you can offer. Needless to say, AT&T was zero help...they suggested I "call" Microsoft.

Guest jporch316

if that doesnt work - it may be your usb cable - i had a mpx 200 before the c500 and although the cable looks the same it isnt - when using it with my c500 it would sometimes create a partnership then drop it or sometimes wouldnt even recognise the phone (but still charge).

Make sure your phone is plugged in when you install Active sync - and unistall / reinstall active sync if you have been syncing with a different phone

Guest VailsMom

When I upgraded to 3.8 I did uninstall the 3.7.1 version...I don't remember if my phone was plugged in when I installed the new software. It might have been at least one of the times I tried it, but I'll give it another go just to see if that's the magic combination. I doubt it's the USB cable, because it worked with my son's computer. I'll let you know if I have any success trying again.... Thanks!

Guest VailsMom
Have you tried searching the "Microsoft Knowledge Base" (sic) on their website for the specific error you are getting - it may give you an inkling

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spent a ton of time on the MS Knowledge Base....that was the first place I went after AT&T pled ignorance. I found a couple of things regarding USB compatibility issues (didn't help, but I thought it was worth a try) but nothing that really sounds like what I'm experiencing. Most of what I saw wasn't Smartphone specific, but I tried a few things that popped up when I used ActiveSync as my keyword. Good suggestion, but no luck.

Also, I uninstalled ActiveSync 3.8, did a restart, and reinstalled with my phone plugged into USB and got the same results (or lack thereof).

Thanks a bunch for helping me try to work through this issue, folks. If you think of anything else, I'm all ears.

Edited by VailsMom

Guest jporch316

Couple more PC based questions

Did you install sp2 or is it a new PC ?

Are your USB ports activated in your bios or equivalent ?

Is there a problem with your USB ports in device manager ?

How many USB ports do you have ?

Are your USB ports built in to the motherboard or separate PCI Card ?

When you plug in the phone does windows try to install your device as a removable disk?

My apologies in advance if you have tried some of the above

Guest VailsMom

O.K. Here are the answers to your questions:

I installed the SP2 on this 2-year-old Dell as soon as it was available. I've had no other significant issues since.

About the USB ports:

They work for everything else problem free and the front access port we use frequently and seamlessly for the digital camera.

The Device Manager shows 5 USB Root Hubs, they are installed via an NEC PCI card. They all appear problem free. When I plug in the phone, it immediately appears as "Windows CE USB Devices" and when I expand it, lists "Motorola MPx220 Smartphone". So there don't appear to be any obvious issues there. What do you think?

Guest Confucious

Your phone looks like it's been recognised OK. Sounds like a corrupt Winsock. Google for winsock XP and you should find a way of checking (and fixing) this.

scheisse! - so that means that all contacts backuped from e200 are worthless...

i can restore them to my c500 indeed, but no chance to get them onto my pc...!?

There is a known problem of using Orange backup from an e200 and restoring it to a C500 - is this what you have done?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>