buying Mpx220 from USA + camera?

Guest markdotpeters5

Guest markdotpeters5

Someone's going to the states in a week or two, and I was wondering what the posibilities would be regarding buying an mpx220 from bestbuy or the like. Do they sell them sim free? Anyone know if this would be possible?

Also, how's the camera with the 1.9 firmware you've got? I was looking at http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...15&pagenumber=1

and it seems to be much improved with the latest firmware....

thanks, as always.

M

Edited by markdotpeters5

Guest nobznss

I haven't seen very many 1.9 firmwares. I've got 1.3. If you buy a cell phone from Best Buy and the like, you have to sign up for a contract for it. You can't just buy them outright. I've got one though if you're interested. :D

I haven't seen very many 1.9 firmwares.  I've got 1.3.  If you buy a cell phone from Best Buy and the like, you have to sign up for a contract for it.  You can't just buy them outright.  I've got one though if you're interested.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Best Buy will sell you *ANY* phone without contract. The price for the phone from Best Buy without contract is 349.00 plus tax. Many on here have bought it that way. Me being one of them...

It will be 1.3 FW. 1.9 is the unbranded FW version and I believe basically the exact same.

-Mc

Where in the states will he be coming? Expansys isn't too far from me and I've seen them selling the SP3i for as low as $250. Also, depending on where they are coming in the states, I'm sure there will be Modaco members living nearby who will be available if any assistance is needed.

-Mc

Guest markdotpeters5

I expect I'll get him to go to bestbuy, sometime this month, I've got to call him later.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind :D One of the best things about smartphones is this forum!

I'm sorry. I meant, where in the states, like Chicago, LA, New York, Boston, etc. Expansys is in Bloomington IL (which is like 130 miles SW of Chicago or thereabouts). I'm between Chicago and Bloomington.

-Mc

Guest markdotpeters5

north carolina somewhere, he's going to ask the business he's visiting if there's a best buy nearby.

After sales tax, and the exchange rate going against me, I might not save that much, I might just bite the bullet and get one from expansys.

Guest Pondrew
One thing you might consider is ordering it online and have it shipped.  Through Amazon, there is no sales tax and free shipping on items over 25 bucks.

Good luck!

-Mc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately not to the UK (free shipping I mean)

I meant, if someone was coming to the states, they could have it shipped to wherever they were going to be. I had a co-worker out of Italy that ordered a phone and had it shipped to his hotel room. :D I forgot about the whole shipping from the US to some other country fiasco! Thanks for the clerification.

Other than that, I'm all out of ideas. :D

Guest markdotpeters5

he's managed to find out that there's a best buy right next to the hotel he's staying at, so that's not an issue.

I'm assuming of course that they'll be unlocked? :D

Basically, i'm getting it to have a go, if I don't like it, I'll just sell it for cost on Ebay.

unlocked?

well... I don't think I've heard from anyone that bought it at Best Buy that it was locked, but if your friend were to go buy one, just have him make sure he puts in a SIM card in the phone before buying it. If it's locked, have them keep trying phones. If none exist, have them call Cingular to get it unlocked. They are unlocking the MPx220 for free if the phone is purchased outright or the customer who buys it is in good standing with the company.

-Mc

with the latest Cingular FW (1.30), the camera pics are very good for a camera phone. The latest FW made darker pictures cleaner and less grainy. I've found that using the night shot mode most of the time is the ticket for clearer pictures... even when it's not so dark out.

-Mc

Guest markdotpeters5

well if they turn out like the ones in that thread, i'll be happy with that. I don't expect them to be amazing, but the captures in that thread i'd be chuffed with!

Sorted then, i'll get him to test it at BestBuy. thanks v. much for the advice, much appreciated :D